Porcupine Tree, anyone?
Nov 29, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have deadwing, and i like ti, what else would you reccomend?

In Absentia should be next on your list, followed by the recent "Stupid Dream" CD/DVD-A reissue. If you're blown away by those two albums, just break down and get the rest of their catalog.

Huge Porcupine Tree fan here, Mr. Wilson is my current avatar. As much as I love Porcupine Tree, I've been listening to Steven Wilson's side project "Blackfield" at least once a week for the last year. It's easily in my top ten albums of all time, the follow up "Blackfield II" should be released in January.

http://www.myspace.com/blackfield

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Around here and most audiophile communities, the thread should be titled "Porcupine Tree, everyone?"

Also one of my fvorite bands. All of their 5.1 mixes are great and are some of the best examples of what can be done with multi-channel audio.

Yep, I remember a point probably not long after Deadwing came out when there was at least a PT thread a day (about the same time as the flood of Mars Volta threads. The music lounge was pretty one-tracked back then). Anyway, huge fan, seen them a couple times. Their honorary tour guitarist, John Wesley, is from Tampa so they usually warm up here for a new tour. The first time was the best, as there was literally 0 mention of the show here in the local community, and it was at a new club which wasn't really a music venue. I hate to say the best show I've seen was only that way because no-one was there, but in that case it's true. It was a private show for I'd say no more than 30 people, the sound was perfect, and the band of course played the hell out of it, if only because they were "warming up" and testing out different stuff with the new guitarist-on-board.

BTW what is it about an artist that makes you love the first album you hear more than any other? My first was Lightbulb Sun, which while it still contains my absolute favorite PT song (Russia On Ice), isn't their "best". I just get way more into that album than the others for some reason.

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 65
Record stores in my neck of the woods are vanishing left and right. Unless it's a mainstream new release that I can pick up at Best Buy, all my music purchases are made online.

Amazon has the DVD-A/CD Stupid Dream reissue for a really good price. Much cheaper than what the die hards (people like me) paid Burning Shed when the album was first released.

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone been able to find the Stupid Dream DVD-A in stores, or did you all order it online?

I ordered mine through Burning Shed, same with the "Arriving Somewhere" DVD

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing band, one of my favorite neo-prog bands

Warszawa is one of my favorite live recordings.

While I love Porcupine Tree, I don't think that they're playing neo-prog, they are pure Progressive rock, Psychedelic rock and sometimes, Progressive metal.
My favourite PT's albums are In Absentia and Deadwing.

If you like PT, try Damnation (Opeth), the same music style, lyric theme and it's a collaborative project of Opeth and Steven Wilson.

The good news for PT fans : they will release a new album in 2007 (possibly).

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #24 of 65
I ordered the Stupid Dream CD/DVD-A to round out my Amazon.com order for KSC75s to get free shipping. Wow, what a great album! I'm hard to please and thought going into the back-catalog might decrease my overall respect for Porcupine Tree, since so many artists are only good after a certain point in their careers. I was so wrong... It's up there with In Absentia in my book, and certainly past Deadwing, which for me was a little too repetitive in spots. I haven't listened to the 5.1 tracks since I only have a stereo setup down here, but I imagine it's as good as the latter two albums.

To any of you dedicated PT fans: How does the Stupid Dream remaster/reissue compare in sound quality to the original release? I'm only listening to the two-channel version at the moment, so the comparison should be fairly easy to make.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

To any of you dedicated PT fans: How does the Stupid Dream remaster/reissue compare in sound quality to the original release? I'm only listening to the two-channel version at the moment, so the comparison should be fairly easy to make.

The new remaster has brought the album to life in my opinion. To my ears it certainly seems to be clearer and more vibrant than the original CD. And the surround mix adds a whole new dimension!
wink.gif

Steven Wilson is a perfectionist and a production genius IMO so I had every faith that it would be as good as it is!
lambda.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 65
Their live album "Coma Divine" is excellent, and a great representation of their early work.

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 65
I was taking out the Stupid Dream DVD to listen to today and part of the inner plastic ring flaked off! I'm afraid to put it in my player now.

What's my recourse? Do you think Amazon would offer a replacement, or would I be better off contacting someone else (ex. the manufacturer)?

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

I was taking out the Stupid Dream DVD to listen to today and part of the inner plastic ring flaked off! I'm afraid to put it in my player now.

What's my recourse? Do you think Amazon would offer a replacement, or would I be better off contacting someone else (ex. the manufacturer)?

basshead.gif
That sucks!

I imagine the first step would be to Amazon, then to BurningShed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back