Popular Classical Music
Feb 1, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #7,187 of 8,715
I saw this piece last Sunday with the Spanish national Orquestra. It is one of those where headphones and iems have special difficulties in creating something close to the live performance. Here particularly in the spectacular parts in the second and fourth movements

Shostakovich: Symphony No.10 - Robert Trevino - Euskadiko Orkestra​

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #7,188 of 8,715
The first part of the concert last Sunday of the Spanish national orquestra was Prokofiev piano concerto num 3 with a brilliant Japanese pianist

Kyohei Sorita​

S. Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3, Yutaka Sado/Sorita Kyohei with Japan National Orchestra​

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #7,189 of 8,715
Dvořáks Klangkosmos 5. Matinée 2021 Congresshalle Saarbrücken ∙ Sonntag, 12. Dezember 2021 Deutsche Radio Philharmonie Pietari Inkinen, Dirigent Josef Spaček, Violine -------
PROGRAMM:
Antonín Dvořák
00:28 - „Die Mittagshexe“, Sinfonische Dichtung op. 108 15:17 - Violinkonzert a-Moll op. 53 15:39 - Allegro ma non troppo 26:58 - Adagio ma non troppo 37:18 - Finale. Allegro giocoso ma non troppo 47:23 - Humoreske op. 101 Nr. 7, bearbeitet für Streichquartett 51:54 - Slawische Tänze op. 46 (Auswahl) 00:52:03 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 1 C-Dur. Presto 00:56:07 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 2 e-Moll. Allegretto scherzando 01:01:12 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 3 As-Dur. Poco allegro 01:06:10 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 5 A-Dur. Allegro vivace 01:09:40 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 7 c-Moll. Allegro assai 01:13:13 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 8 g-Moll. Presto 01:17:28 - Slawische Tänze op. 72 (Auswahl) 01:17:39 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 2 e-Moll. Allegretto grazioso 01:23:01 - Slawischer Tanz Nr. 7 C-Dur. Presto

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #7,190 of 8,715
CHLOE CHUA / Menuhin Competition 2018, Closing Gala

Founded by Yehudi Menuhin in 1983, the Menuhin Competition is the world's leading international competition for young violinists. The Competition attracts hundreds of entries from countries across the globe, choosing only 44 of the world’s very best young violinists to participate. Held every two years in a different world city the Competition discovers, encourages and nurtures exceptionally talented young musicians from all corners of the world under the age of 22 years to develop into the next generation of great artists.

A. Vivaldi The Four Seasons, Op. 8, Winter Played by Chloe Chua (Age 11)

Ralph Vaughan Williams : The Lark Ascending. Played by Chloe Chua (Age 14) April 2021

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #7,191 of 8,715
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Klaus Mäkelä - conductor
Calogero Palermo - clarinet
Aaron Copland - Clarinet Concerto

Recorded live on 15 January 2022 at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.

The melting pot of cultures which is the United States has resulted in all kinds of blends of classical music, jazz and Latin. The orchestra’s principal clarinettist Calogero Palermo takes centre stage in Aaron Copland’s jazzy Clarinet Concerto.

Feb 3, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #7,192 of 8,715
CHLOE CHUA / Menuhin Competition 2018, Closing Gala

Founded by Yehudi Menuhin in 1983, the Menuhin Competition is the world's leading international competition for young violinists. The Competition attracts hundreds of entries from countries across the globe, choosing only 44 of the world’s very best young violinists to participate. Held every two years in a different world city the Competition discovers, encourages and nurtures exceptionally talented young musicians from all corners of the world under the age of 22 years to develop into the next generation of great artists.

A. Vivaldi The Four Seasons, Op. 8, Winter Played by Chloe Chua (Age 11)

Ralph Vaughan Williams : The Lark Ascending. Played by Chloe Chua (Age 14) April 2021

Thanks.
This is one of the sweetest things I have seen and heard since I happened to stumble upon a live performance in a music instruments shop at the Esplanade Culture Centre in Singapore a few years ago where a Music school of little kids many as young as 6-7 into some pre-teens played The Seasons very well.

There are also some VERY cute videos on YT with now teenage composer/performer Alma Deutscher ,playing some of her own early childhood compositions both on the violin and the piano from around the age of 6.
She is currently working on a new Opera, her third!
I think she has just turned 16?
Judging by a snippet on her YT website recently, it could be very interesting indeed.
Her Sirénen Waltzer from few years ago is a stunner showing real mastery of orchestration imho. i think she was 13 or maybe 14 when she wrote that piece She is currently also learning to conduct.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #7,193 of 8,715
A couple of days ago I went to a concert. Lucky it took place with all the covid cancellations. The Mariinsky Theater orquestra, Valery Gergiev and Nestor Goerner, piano played a great program. It should have been perfect.
They played first Brahms 2nd piano concerto. While the result was in no way bad, it was not as good as it could have been. The performance left me cold in many parts. According to some critics, Gergiev follows such hiperactive schedule that rehearsals with the soloists are not enough. The pianist played an encore, also from Brahms, showing that he is a great solo performer.
In the second part the orquestra played Strauss A hero’s life and it was absolutely fantastic. The piece is spectacular and the playing was just beautiful. Winds and strings all sounded incredible with particular mention of the great violín concertino. That part was perfect. They even played as encore the scherzo from Midsummer Mendelssohn. Amazing too.

Here a documentary about Gergiev and his frantic way of life.

Goerner playing Brahms

and Gergiev with Richard Strauss

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #7,194 of 8,715
LuisMad, thanks for this documentary re. Gergiev. He's an interesting character, with very mixed reviews for his Bruckner (Munich) and other conductors. Some conductors communicate with their eyes, others, like him, seem to prefer just a flick of their hands. Abbado did both, Haitink hands, Janson hands and face, Karajan hands (he conducted with eyes closed! If he opened them and looked at you during a performance, chances are, you were finished as a member of the BPO!). Bernstein, of course, was the "great communicator", working the orchestra with eyes, hands, and feet. Probably nobody like him since.

cheers

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #7,195 of 8,715
Hey Classical folks…
A few weeks back I was watching Jeopardy and they had a Classical Music category. One of the question/answers was dealing with a piece or movement that was very organ bass pedal focused. Of course, me being me, I got distracted by a shiny thing and completely forgot what I needed to look up (I do like my bass music)
Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #7,196 of 8,715
Hey Classical folks…
A few weeks back I was watching Jeopardy and they had a Classical Music category. One of the question/answers was dealing with a piece or movement that was very organ bass pedal focused. Of course, me being me, I got distracted by a shiny thing and completely forgot what I needed to look up (I do like my bass music)
Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #7,199 of 8,715

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back