Popular Classical Music
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #7,162 of 8,735
Thanks Luis for your regular posts! We seem to have similar taste in music. :beerchug:

Any more concerts planned?

In my extensive concert going days, I used to really enjoy some of the more unusual pieces as well as those heavy and dramatic compositions live. But listening on headphones, or even on a good speaker system, those heavy pieces don't fair so well, as they can become congested and a lot of the interesting & 3D nuances that can be heard in a live performance are obscure or completely missing.

Astor Piazzolla Histoire Du Tango, played by Chloe Chua (violin) & Kevin Loh (guitar)

0:08 Bordello 1900 4:32 Cafe1930 12:55 Night Club 1960 19:31 Concert d'aujourd'hui (Modern-Day Concert)

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #7,163 of 8,735
Thanks Luis for your regular posts! We seem to have similar taste in music. :beerchug:

Any more concerts planned?

In my extensive concert going days, I used to really enjoy some of the more unusual pieces as well as those heavy and dramatic compositions live. But listening on headphones, or even on a good speaker system, those heavy pieces don't fair so well, as they can become congested and a lot of the interesting & 3D nuances that can be heard in a live performance are obscure or completely missing.

Astor Piazzolla Histoire Du Tango, played by Chloe Chua (violin) & Kevin Loh (guitar)

0:08 Bordello 1900 4:32 Cafe1930 12:55 Night Club 1960 19:31 Concert d'aujourd'hui (Modern-Day Concert)

Thank you Mr LightMan for creating and keeping alive the thread! Also for your earpads advice! Cheers to you! :beerchug:

i have many concerts planned, generally once a week. With work and family, I couldn’t attend for many years, now I try to go to as many as I can. Unfortunately quite a few are being cancelled with omicron. These are mostly the ones of some international orquestas. Others still go ahead…

Completely agree there are spectacular pieces, for me specially those with choir, where headphones simply do not come even close…

Next concert for me is this Sunday, an educational concert. There is this series of concerts of the Spanish national orquestra of a formative nature where they perform two pieces of two composers, each is preceded by a 10 minutes presentation with images about the composers and the work being presented. These are always interesting and very formative. There is usually around six of these each season. I always learn a lot when attending.
Next Sunday they will play Beethoven’s Emperor and Shostakovich‘s First symphony.

Here the Emperor in a classical version

Beethoven - 5th Piano Concerto 'Emperor' (Zimerman, Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker)​

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #7,164 of 8,735
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #7,165 of 8,735
Join Paul Herriott live from the National Concert Hall, Dublin for one of the cornerstones of the cello repertoire, Elgar’s much loved Cello Concerto in E minor with cellist Camille Thomas.

Camille Thomas (Friday 14th January 2022)
Mihhail Gerts conducts the RTE National Symphony Orchestra

ELGAR Cello Concerto
FRANCK Symphony in D minor

Programme notes here

Intro starts at 2m 50s

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #7,166 of 8,735
I listened to this many times during the week.

If you right-click on the YT video, you can choose 'loop' to repeat.

I also use Adblock Plus - free ad blocker.

LVHF 2017: César Franck - Panis Angelicus / Patricia Janečková

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #7,167 of 8,735

The Best of Pianomania! | Samples of the star pianists’ performances Lisbon festival in 2018​

it includes some beautiful images of Lisbon
Music selection:
(00:00) Robert Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 54 I. Allegro affettuoso Gulbenkian Orchestra Hannu Lintu - CONDUCTOR Daniil Trifonov - PIANO
(16:08) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major, K. 488 II. adagio Gulbenkian Orchestra Leo Hussain - CONDUCTOR Menahem Pressler - PIANO
(22:20) Igor Stravinsky Infernal Dance From The Firebird Suite arr. Guido Agosti Beatrice Rana - PIANO
(26:45) Igor Stravinsky Berceuse & Finale From The Firebird Suite arr. Guido Agosti Beatrice Rana - PIANO
(33:59) Ludwig van Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109 I. Vivace ma non troppo - Adagio espressivo Elisabeth Leonskaja - PIANO
(40:32) Mário Laginha Concerto for two Pianos No. 1 I. Allegro ma non sempre Pedro Burmester - PIANO Mário Laginha - PIANO

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #7,169 of 8,735
The p

The Best of Pianomania! | Samples of the star pianists’ performances Lisbon festival in 2018​

it includes some beautiful images of Lisbon
Music selection:
(00:00) Robert Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 54 I. Allegro affettuoso Gulbenkian Orchestra Hannu Lintu - CONDUCTOR Daniil Trifonov - PIANO
(16:08) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major, K. 488 II. adagio Gulbenkian Orchestra Leo Hussain - CONDUCTOR Menahem Pressler - PIANO
(22:20) Igor Stravinsky Infernal Dance From The Firebird Suite arr. Guido Agosti Beatrice Rana - PIANO
(26:45) Igor Stravinsky Berceuse & Finale From The Firebird Suite arr. Guido Agosti Beatrice Rana - PIANO
(33:59) Ludwig van Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109 I. Vivace ma non troppo - Adagio espressivo Elisabeth Leonskaja - PIANO
(40:32) Mário Laginha Concerto for two Pianos No. 1 I. Allegro ma non sempre Pedro Burmester - PIANO Mário Laginha - PIANO

Pianomania? How bout some Pianovision, courtesy Chilly Gonzales

Users who are viewing this thread

Back