Popular Classical Music
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #4,668 of 8,714
Mozart – Queen of the Night 'Der Hölle Rache'
The Magic Flute

Diana Damrau
Colin Davis , ROH Orchestra

Very nice!
Splendid Queen of the Night.
And a production that does not mock the Opera.
I haven't seen Die Zauberflöte live for over ten years, but the latest production I saw was with Miah Person as Pamina and her singing was heavenly.
But when Pamino sang his portrait aria praising Pamina's blonde Hair, the moronic producer at The Royal Stockholm Opera House had turned naturally blonde Miah into a redhead punk !
Most contemporary productions in Stockholm suck, really suck imho.
I once sat through almost an entire Wagner production there with closed eyes.
Good to see that there are still some producers that don't hate Opera.
To watch classic Operas produced well, I used to go to Riga,Budapest and Prague before Covid 19.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #4,669 of 8,714
^ What a shame. A few years later Diana Damrau did the same role with a green head dress, looking a bit bizarre (Grosses Festspielhaus in Salzburg). They would have been better off following the ROH version or does each production need to leave their mark.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #4,676 of 8,714
Claude Debussy Clair de lune has been here already but not this version that deserves to be heard ...and watched!

Khatia caressing her keyboard in yet another amazing performance.
Other Khatia performances not to be missed are her Schubert recordings for Sony, on CD but now also on Youtube without video. She plays Sonata 21 D960 even more poetically than both Richter and Brendel imho.
She uses a larger dynamic range than both and her tempi bring out the beauty of Schubert's timeless masterpiece in a way that leaves me awestruck.
And her video performing the orginal piano version of Pictures at an Exhibition is also among my 20 or so Khatia Youtube bookmarks that I both return to often, and in some cases even use for fingering tips, when trying to learn to play at least parts of these works at my own piano.
Cheers CC

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #4,677 of 8,714
Khatia caressing her keyboard in yet another amazing performance.
Other Khatia performances not to be missed are her Schubert recordings for Sony, on CD but now also on Youtube without video. She plays Sonata 21 D960 even more poetically than both Richter and Brendel imho.
She uses a larger dynamic range than both and her tempi bring out the beauty of Schubert's timeless masterpiece in a way that leaves me awestruck.
And her video performing the orginal piano version of Pictures at an Exhibition is also among my 20 or so Khatia Youtube bookmarks that I both return to often, and in some cases even use for fingering tips, when trying to learn to play at least parts of these works at my own piano.
Cheers CC

Here another great performance by the lovely Kathia, I love the way she plays the softer pianissimo parts.

Beethoven Piano concerto num 1 Kathia Buniatishvili, Israel Philarmonic Orquestra, Zubin Mehta

Aug 5, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #4,678 of 8,714
Here another great performance by the lovely Kathia, I love the way she plays the softer pianissimo parts.

Beethoven Piano concerto num 1 Kathia Buniatishvili, Israel Philarmonic Orquestra, Zubin Mehta

Oh yes, that's the video where I first discovered Khatia and also realised what a wonderful Piano Concerto Beethoven's 1st Concerto really is.
But according to some sources the one officially numbered 2nd was actually composed before this Concerto.
And imho what is now known as the 1st is an even better work.
A work with clear influences from Mozart's later Piano Concertos. Beethoven was an admirer of Mozart's famous D Minor Concerto n 20,but also revealing Beethoven's very own voice .

And as you say and this video clearly shows, wonderfully played by Khatia Buniatishvili.
She really dares to play with large dynamics even in classical repertoire like Schubert and Beethoven.
Very soft pianissimos and powerful fortes.
Don't miss her Sony Schubert D960 recording even it it lacks video.
On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen a more fitting and more beautiful artist cover shot on any classical album than Khatia as Ophelia.
Kudos both to the creative photographer and Khatia for making it happen.
There is also a SONY behind the scenes video of the photo shoot and recording sessions worth watching.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #4,679 of 8,714
^ What a shame. A few years later Diana Damrau did the same role with a green head dress, looking a bit bizarre (Grosses Festspielhaus in Salzburg). They would have been better off following the ROH version or does each production need to leave their mark.
After having heard Salonen's stunning Wagner Ring on the Radio last year I was planning to go to Helsinki for some live Wagner when things hopefully ease up a bit. But stumbling on this musically very interesting production of Wagner's Dutchman with Camilla Nylund as Senta, today, I think I'm better off just listening to Operas.
There seems to be little or NO connection whatsoever, between what's going on in the music and Wagner's own libretto and what is actually happening on stage here: THE FLYING DUTCHMAN Wagner – Finnish National Opera and Ballet - YouTube
It has been uploaded very recently and there are already some quite strong reactions about the production in the comments field at Youtube.
I fully agee with the comment "I loathe modern productions!"
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back