Popular Classical Music
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #4,651 of 8,701
Hey @Christer I reckon that you are a bit of a closet Abba fan, a piano player living in Sweden and all that.......:ksc75smile:
Have you tried this piano piece yet? It could be your piano party piece when you come out of COVID isolation

The Winner takes it all arranged and performed by Dietmar Steinhauer

The Winner Takes It All ABBA (Piano Cover) Ulrika A. Rosén, piano.

The Winner Takes It All (Instrumental) Arranger: Judson Mancebo

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #4,652 of 8,701
Hey @Christer I reckon that you are a bit of a closet Abba fan, a piano player living in Sweden and all that.......:ksc75smile:
Have you tried this piano piece yet? It could be your piano party piece when you come out of COVID isolation

The Winner takes it all arranged and performed by Dietmar Steinhauer

The Winner Takes It All ABBA (Piano Cover) Ulrika A. Rosén, piano.

The Winner Takes It All (Instrumental) Arranger: Judson Mancebo

Hello Light-Man and "Thanks for the music" but sorry to disappoint you. Even in my youth I was never much of an Abba fan.
I am still struggling with ,way too big to chew for me, pieces like the first movement of Beethoven's Appassionata with some notable progress in recent months, And very slowly, and again bar by bar some Schubert. I found Khatia Buniatshivili's Sony recordings of Schuberts piano music on Youtube.

And her versions of Ständchen, the Opus 90 Impromptus and most of all the heavenly first movement of Schubert's last piano sonata are so inspiring that they will keep me busy well into the coming winter and beyond I guess.
I managed to play the intro to Impromptu no 1 the way Khatia plays it a few days ago
But I just had to play a bit of Debussy's Sunken Cathedral yesterday.
Those magical chords!
And the Tristan chords get played regularly too.
I did learn to play a couple of Beatles songs like Hey Jude and John Lennon's Imagine a while ago because a friend of mine both plays and sings 30 or so of their songs.

But I am an all out classical nerd and much prefer Mozart,Schubert,Beethoven and Debussy over any modern pop music.
Khatia's recording of D960 beats even Brendel's imho.Surprisingly big dynamic range for a Youtube recording and played with such skill and beauty that I am in complete awe of her deep insight into this heavenly music.
My very long term goal is to hopefully learn to play the first two movements con patienza.But I am still not through the entire first movement of the Appassionata....
I learned Imagine by Lennon in a few hours. But I am still not able to play some of those most thunderous massive chord passages of the Appassionata even after months of trying.
But I'm not giving up yet.
What about you, got your keyboard yet?
Piano Sonata No. 21 in B-Flat Major, D. 960: I. Molto moderato - YouTubePiano Sonata No. 21 in B-Flat Major, D. 960: II. Andante sostenuto - YouTube
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #4,655 of 8,701
Dvorak violin concerto Julia Fisher, Tonhalle, David Zinman conductor

I had the privilege to see Julia Fisher playing this last February with the Bamberber Symphoniker conductor Jakub Hrůša, not only in concert, but also the rehearsal. She is an amazing passionate player and the conductor who was very tough with the musicians turned into a lamb when addressing Frau Fisher.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #4,660 of 8,701
Marriner at 90 concert

1 April 2014 , Royal Festival Hall
available on YT until 7pm on Sunday 9 August 2020

Saint-Saens - Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso
Joshua Bell director & soloist

Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 20 K.466
Murray Perahia , piano

Elgar - Enigma Variations

Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Sir Neville Marriner , conductor

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #4,662 of 8,701
Vivaldi L' estro armonico (The Harmonic Inspiration) Op.3 Concerto No.10 in B minor for 4 violins, RV 580 (first published in Amsterdam in 1711)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back