Popular Classical Music
May 31, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,927 of 8,694
solo guitar binge tonight

JK Mertz - Concertino played by Nabila Rifda Alfiani

Mauro Giuliani - Gran Sonata Eroica played by Ana Vidovic

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #2,929 of 8,694
Last night's Friday concert (end of season) from the NCH Dublin (video usually only lasts 6 days)

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Kazuki Yamada conductor (from Japan)
Simone Lamsma violin (from Holland)

Korngold Violin Concerto / 24’
Strauss An Alpine Symphony / 47’

It’s the end of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra’s season. And we thought we’d say thank you by treating you to a thrill-a-minute concerto by a Hollywood legend and a blockbuster musical trip to the snow-covered splendour of the Alps.

Handkerchiefs at the ready (blame it on early hay fever if you must) for the wonderfully monikered Erich Wolfgang Korngold’s Violin Concerto – an hypnotic, heart-on-sleeve masterpiece of surging emotions that will inject itself straight into your bloodstream and may well change your life. Just don’t get soppy on us.

Movie buffs need no introduction to Korngold. But can you name the four film scores that are quoted in the concerto? For the uninitiated, he’s the sound of Hollywood at its most glamorous and thrilling who writes big tunes, luxurious melodies and can make a symphony orchestra do things you’d never imagined possible. The ‘electrifying’ (Classical Source) Simone Lamsma is our star soloist.

If you’re worried Richard Strauss’ An Alpine Symphony is going to be all sugar-saturated waltzes, don’t be – he wasn’t from that Strauss family. This is as lean, meaty and muscular as it gets. And as immediate as a musical Twitter-feed from base camp to summit, from one night to the next. En route, you’ll be treated to a masterpiece display of a symphony orchestra in all its poetic and powerful glory. Don’t forget to wear your walking boots!

The concert intro starts 4 minutes into the video

Simone Lamsma (from Holland) is playing a 1718 Strad violin (that she has had on loan for the past 5 years)

Audio link: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/lyric/11042905

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,930 of 8,694
Thank you, Light Man! Korngold is a genius!
I am listening to a very old Lo-Fi Korngold recording now. it makes me very happy! highly recommended. but young people may not prefer them?
Lo-FI old recordings + aged listener(like me) = very happy!IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #2,931 of 8,694
Thank you, Light Man! Korngold is a genius!
I am listening to a very old Lo-Fi Korngold recording now. it makes me very happy! highly recommended. but young people may not prefer them?
Lo-FI old recordings + aged listener(like me) = very happy!IMO.

I have Korngold with Heifetz, very good recording and performance.

51rdP4DkpDL.jpg

I do like older recordings from 1960-1980s because they have the analog sound that I like. But they still need to sound Hi-Fi. For me, Lo-Fi is something like David Oistrakh, great violinist but many of his recordings are in mono and don't sound all that great to me. Many of today's modern recordings sound too clean to me, I can't always enjoy listening to them, which is why most of my music is from the older period.

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #2,932 of 8,694
This was the program from the Dallas Symphony concert that I went to a couple of weeks ago. It's not the same without Jaap van Zweden, but the guest conductor did a pretty good job. Had great control of the orchestra with a pretty dynamic performance.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #2,933 of 8,694
A little gem of a piece and a very nice rendition by French pianist Nathalia Milstein (with her sister Maria), who was the first female to win the (10th) Dublin International Piano Competition (2015).

IMG_8298.jpg

Nathalia is due to play this composition this Friday in Dublin

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,936 of 8,694
I have Korngold with Heifetz, very good recording and performance.

51rdP4DkpDL.jpg

I do like older recordings from 1960-1980s because they have the analog sound that I like. But they still need to sound Hi-Fi. For me, Lo-Fi is something like David Oistrakh, great violinist but many of his recordings are in mono and don't sound all that great to me. Many of today's modern recordings sound too clean to me, I can't always enjoy listening to them, which is why most of my music is from the older period.

"Me too" as the saying goes these days, I often prefer the old analogue versions of much the classic repertoire both for the often great interpretations. But also for the more coherent natural sound of the simply mic'd ones like the Heifetz recording you take as an example.
But I would rather say overmiked and almost forensically clinical than too clean of many modern and low res digital recordings.

Until recently I mainly listened to most of my oldies via vinyl or on SACD.
Apart from hundreds of LPs I have almost all of the RCA Living Stereos on SACD,but not the Korngold.

But since I got my HUGO M Scaler I listen quite a lot to the rbcd layer of some of my RCA Living Stereo and Mercury SACDs and they sound quite amazing for their age compared to for example the rather thin steely and glassy string sound one often has to accept via Youtube and the other concert broadcasts in mp3ish quality and a veritable forest of mics compared to the three, yes only three mics were used for the majority of RCA Living Stereo LPs and SACDs.

With the HMS I am discovering that the main problem lies, not necessarily, in the rbcd format as such,but the actual recordings and bad miking,most of the time.
RW the designer behind the HMS and DACs from Chord claims he is getting to the actual sound of the mastertape from analogue masters via this 1 M taps tech and I am beginning to think he might be correct.

And provided the recording was done well it seems to extend to digital 16/44.1 cds as well, much more often than I had ever thought possible.

Talking Korngold again, I have in the past weeks repeatedly been spinning the live recording from the Stockholm Opera House from 1995 of Korngold's opera Die Tote Stadt on a double cd set from Naxos via my HMS with great pleasure.

And the cd versions of some of my favourite Sibelius symphonies from Karajan and the BPO on EMI recorded in analogue in the 70s sound absolutely stunning as well via rbcd and not only via vinyl.
But only via HMS.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #2,940 of 8,694
For me, Lo-Fi is something like David Oistrakh, great violinist but many of his recordings are in mono and don't sound all that great to me. Many of today's modern recordings sound too clean to me, I can't always enjoy listening to them, which is why most of my music is from the older period.

Incidentally, just heard this Oistrakh recording of Kreisler's La Gitana which IMO of pretty good quality, or maybe my IEMs are just too forgiving :hear_no_evil:. Found it on a DG compilation 'A Tribute to Fritz Kreisler' (very nice performances by many violinists although it does have some rather lo-fi cuts of Kreisler himself playing). The Youtube clip from 'Concertos and Encores' Oistrakh compilation- sounds like it is from the same source- skimming through seems to be Tolerable-Fi to Decent-Fi, although mono

MI0003276151.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back