Popular Classical Music
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #4,516 of 8,732
Irina Lankova plays Schubert Klavierstücke D. 946 No. 2 in E Flat

A really nice piece worth sticking with until the end

Klavierstücke (German for " Piano Pieces")

I reckon that our @Christer might come a little un-stück if he tries to master this little piece, one that seems easier to play than it actually is. :ksc75smile:

1592916806815.png

and one that I posted somewhere on HF before, a few years back but I never labeled it.

Irina Lankova plays Frederic Chopin Scherzo No.2 Op.31

As an ex piano accordion player in my youth, I had recently researched and strongly considered buying a good electronic piano (with weighted keys) and learning to play properly, but in the end I thought that there were far too many very talented and attractive female pianists out there that I have yet to fully explore. In the end I took the very easy option and saved myself a big headache!

Irina Lankova plays Schubert Sonata D959 I mvt, Salle Gaveau, Paris, 26.03.2014

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,517 of 8,732
Dowland - Clear or cloudy

Cecile Cardinot

Clear or cloudy, sweet as April show'ring,
Smooth or frowning, so is her face to me.
Pleas'd or smiling, like mild May all flow'ring,
When skies blue silk, and meadows carpets be,
Her speeches notes of that nightbird that singeth,
Who thought all sweet, yet jarring notes out ringeth.

Her grace like June, when earth and trees be trimmed
In best attire of complete beauty's height.
Her love again like Summer's days bedimmed
With little clouds of doubtful constant faith.
Her trust, her doubt, like rain and heat in skies
Gently thund'ring, she lightning to mine eyes....

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #4,518 of 8,732
Rimsky-Korsakov - The Tale of Tsar Saltan
Suite from the opera Op. 57

Scottish National Orchestra / Neeme Jarvi

I. Introduction to Act I : Tsar's departure and farewell
II. Introduction to Act II : Tsarina adrift at sea in a barrel 04.53
Act III : The Flight of the Bumble Bee 13.32
III. Introduction to Act IV, Scene II : The three wonders. 16.58

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #4,520 of 8,732
Irina Lankova plays Schubert Klavierstücke D. 946 No. 2 in E Flat

A really nice piece worth sticking with until the end

Klavierstücke (German for " Piano Pieces")

I reckon that our @Christer might come a little un-stück if he tries to master this little piece, one that seems easier to play than it actually is. :ksc75smile:

and one that I posted somewhere on HF before, a few years back but I never labeled it.

Irina Lankova plays Frederic Chopin Scherzo No.2 Op.31

As an ex piano accordion player in my youth, I had recently researched and strongly considered buying a good electronic piano (with weighted keys) and learning to play properly, but in the end I thought that there were far too many very talented and attractive female pianists out there that I have yet to fully explore. In the end I took the very easy option and saved myself a big headache!

Irina Lankova plays Schubert Sonata D959 I mvt, Salle Gaveau, Paris, 26.03.2014

Hello Light-man,I agree that there are lots of VERY talented and often stunningly attractive young female pianists ,to envy.
But envy is not really my thing, rather lots of admiration and gratitude to have these
super-pianists as free of charge private teachers and inspirations online.
And although I far too often bite off bigger challenges than I can ever chew, I still have to say that the best HIFI investment I have EVER made is my piano that I bought at a local thrift shop last September for 100€.
Very frustrating when I realize more often than not, that I will probably never be able to play more than parts of many pieces that sound so easy from just listening to them.
And the two Schubert pieces Ständchen and D960 seem particularly tricky to play often having the melody divided between both hands in mid-tune like in Ständchen for example.
But what a melody it is!
And those heavenly harmonies.

And great joy when after months of trying and failing over and over again,my fingers not only hit the right keys but also sometimes, ever so briefly, manage to produce a sound not too far from the sound my "Godess" so effortlessly delivers all the time.

If you have previous experience with keyboard playing, go for it Light-man!
You won't regret it.
I started playing last year at 70 one year younger than the age Clara Wieck Schumann allegedly retired at!
Having started at the age of 7 would of course have been a MUCH better idea, but better late than never!

Anyway,
here are three imho, truly inspiring examples of piano pieces of great beauty performed by my special "Godess"
Khatia Buniatishvili,one quite easy technically, Arvo Pärt's miniature Für Alina Khatia Buniastishvili Für Alina in B Minor - YouTube
This short piece is actually as easy to play as it sounds, purely technically.

And her very personal, very romantic ,ad libitum, beautifully played version of Mussorgsky's technically mostly VERY challenging piano masterpiece Pictures at an Exhibition. Khatia Buniatishvili - Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition - YouTube
I'll most probably NEVER be able to play all of Mussorgsky's masterpiece. But I'll happily keep taking bites at the parts I can learn.

And although the Liszt version she plays here is also Way Too difficult for me to play, I'll have a go now and then at the easier Horn version until I hopefully can play all of it. But I just love the way she plays it here:Khatia Buniatishvili Liszt Ständchen Piano Transcriptions After Schubert - YouTube
Cheers and do get yourself a piano! CC

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #4,521 of 8,732

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #4,529 of 8,732
I remember going into a posh piano shop on High Street Kensington, London (many years ago) and asking them what piano Elton John played. The chap did not look too impressed by my question and mumbled something like "I have no idea"

A cracking version with piano and strings.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Music Arrangement: Edward Mifsud Vocalist: Dorothy Bezzina

Users who are viewing this thread

Back