Popular Classical Music
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #4,505 of 8,732
Ouch Mr T, that was very direct! Guilty as charged and straight to the back of the class for me, where I used to have some of my very best daydreaming sessions. :ksc75smile:

A very good version and somewhat unusual when the violin kicks in after about 4' mins

Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 Arranged by Masaru Yokoyama (piano?) · Yuna Shinohara (violin)

Hopefully our old friend Mr @Pokemonn will approve of these musicians from his native Japan.

and another version, this time arranged by Eugene Ysaye · Yuna Shinohara (violin)

BTW, who plays the piano in both videos is not clear.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #4,506 of 8,732
Ouch Mr T, that was very direct! Guilty as charged and straight to the back of the class for me, where I used to have some of my very best daydreaming sessions. :ksc75smile:

A very good version and somewhat unusual when the violin kicks in after about 4' mins

Chopin - Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 Arranged by Masaru Yokoyama (piano?) · Yuna Shinohara (violin)

Hopefully our old friend Mr @Pokemonn will approve of these musicians from his native Japan.

and another version, this time arranged by Eugene Ysaye · Yuna Shinohara (violin)

BTW, who plays the piano in both videos is not clear.

Yah. I'm guilty of not always labeling my posts too.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #4,513 of 8,732
Why Listen to Schubert ?

Inside the Score

The music playing in the background sounds like Khatia Buniatishvili? playing the Liszt solo piano version of Ständchen or Serenade as it is sometimes also called.
But Schubert's orginal version is actually one of the Lieder, songs from his cycle Schwanengesang.
"Leise flehen meine Lieder"
Lieder is actually the plural form of Lied which means song.
There is also a slightly easier piano version than Liszt's which can be downloaded for free together with the whole song cycle at the site IMSLP.
To get you "inside the score" :IMSLP is the best source of free sheet music and scores online imho.
Incidentally I have spent some time today trying to play mainly the first theme of the first movement of Schubert's late piano Sonata no 21 D960 which also featured briefly in this video.
But for the major part of today I have been on two great "walkabouts" Promenades number 1 and 2 from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
Actually mostly easier to play purely technically than anything I've tried by Schubert.
But to make it sound as heavenly beautiful as it does under Khatia's fingers now that is just a dream.
And I am only referring to the two first Promenades, large chunks of Pictures at an Exhibition are way beyond what I'll ever be able to play.
But it makes me happy that there are parts that I can play.
And Schubert's music is like Khatia, a gift from heaven.

Khatia Buniatishvili - Mussorgsky/ from: Pictures at an Exhibition 2 & 3 (live @Bimhuis Amsterdam) - YouTubeKhatia Buniatishvili Liszt Ständchen Piano Transcriptions After Schubert - YouTube
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #4,514 of 8,732
The music playing in the background sounds like Khatia Buniatishvili? playing the Liszt solo piano version of Ständchen or Serenade as it is sometimes also called.
But Schubert's orginal version is actually one of the Lieder, songs from his cycle Schwanengesang.
"Leise flehen meine Lieder"
Lieder is actually the plural form of Lied which means song.
There is also a slightly easier piano version than Liszt's which can be downloaded for free together with the whole song cycle at the site IMSLP.
To get you "inside the score" :IMSLP is the best source of free sheet music and scores online imho.
Incidentally I have spent some time today trying to play mainly the first theme of the first movement of Schubert's late piano Sonata no 21 D960 which also featured briefly in this video.
But for the major part of today I have been on two great "walkabouts" Promenades number 1 and 2 from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
Actually mostly easier to play purely technically than anything I've tried by Schubert.
But to make it sound as heavenly beautiful as it does under Khatia's fingers now that is just a dream.
And I am only referring to the two first Promenades, large chunks of Pictures at an Exhibition are way beyond what I'll ever be able to play.
But it makes me happy that there are parts that I can play.
And Schubert's music is like Khatia, a gift from heaven.

Khatia Buniatishvili - Mussorgsky/ from: Pictures at an Exhibition 2 & 3 (live @Bimhuis Amsterdam) - YouTubeKhatia Buniatishvili Liszt Ständchen Piano Transcriptions After Schubert - YouTube
Cheers CC

At first I thought there's no way you can tell if is Khatia (or not) and you must have sharp ears. So I had to listen a bit closer, and I think it might not be her. Though it is her playing the impromptu at 4.07.

Good luck with your playing, Schubert is not easy on piano. Hope to hear your rendition one day.

Piano piece D. 946 No. 2
Claire Huangci

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #4,515 of 8,732
Bach Cello Suite No. 3 played rather impressively on a double bass by Edicson Ruiz, who I doubt ever finds it necessary to visit a gym or go running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back