Popular Classical Music
Feb 16, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #2,542 of 8,712

Last night's Friday concert from the NCH Dublin. (Audio link only, seems to be no video this week but will update if one becomes available)

The SQ is only decent at best and some of it would not be my cup of green tea.....................
(The volume default in the link is not at maximum so you need to manually adjust to max)

Paul Herriott presents a live concert broadcast from the National Concert Hall, Dublin, bringing you to the best seat in the house as bass-baritone Bryn Terfel joins the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra for a concert featuring operatic favourites by Wagner and songs from the shows.

Wagner: Vorspiel Act III from Lohengrin
Wagner: Was duftet doch der Flieder from Meistersinger
Wagner: Ride of the Valkyries from Die Walküre
Wagner: Magic Fire Music & Wotan’s Farewell from Die Walküre
Tchaikovsky: Polonaise from Eugene Onegin
Boito: Son lo spirito che nega from Mefistofele
Weill: Moritat von Macke Messer from Die Dreigroschenoper
Rodgers & Hammerstein: Overture from Oklahoma
Rodgers & Hammerstein: Oh what a beautiful morning from Oklahoma
Rodgers & Hammerstein: How to handle a woman from Camelot
Bock: If I were a rich man from Fiddler on the roof
RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Gareth Jones (conductor)
Bryn Terfel (bass-baritone)

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_10998760_8861_15-02-2019_

More info towards bottom of the page in link below

https://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/the-lyric-concert-with-paul-herriott/

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,543 of 8,712
I’m enjoying “Language of the Spirit” (Jan Swafford).

I’m using Qobuz to follow his recommendations while reading the composer’s bio sketch and a few suggestions of what to listen for.

Mostly Chord Hugo 2 to Beyerdynamic T1.2

It’s a fun ride.

Swafford writes as if he’s teaching high school and all the kids are never late for his class but never admit loving it.

Great book.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2,548 of 8,712
Greensleeves brings back a warm nostalgic childhood memory combined with a light tug on the heart strings.

Probably due to an old family air-loom music box that played this tune which I somehow felt compelled to dismantle to investigate how it worked. But I did all this intricate work while I walked around the house spreading little parts all over the place, which were soon to be sucked up by the vacuum cleaner and never to see the light of day again. Somehow the family air-loom disappeared into thin air!

I like this arrangement combined with a nice solo version by violinist Caroline Campbell

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #2,550 of 8,712
Luckily I have written the rules of this thread in quicksand as otherwise we could have Mods swarming all over it! :ghost:

Listening to these at the moment using a good bluetooth HD device and closed back headphones and they sound wonderful, while Her-Lightness blasts the radio in the background on a sunny Sunday morning.

Oops!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back