Popular Classical Music
Dec 12, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,266 of 8,714
FB1 @FullBright1 when you have the time, you might give us some tips on uploading our own YouTube videos?

The last time I looked into it a few years ago, I had difficulty with the necessary image/video content and gave up on it, hence I used SoundCloud. Do you need more than one image?

BTW, excellent SQ on your YT uploads! Is the YT sound comparable to your FLAC file?

Thank you.
Yes, the flac files i use from original sources, translate very well to Youtube.
People debate the sound quality : 720p vs 480p, but, i use 720p.
Takes longer to create and to upload, but, i love doing it, and so, .... 720p is the winner.
Youtube compresses a bit, as they upload, but, not terribly., so, the original file would sound slightly more crisp.
And no, you only need one image per video..
The main thing is to use a video making software that integrates well with Youtube.
I use a Macbook Pro, so, i use I-Movie, that is designed for Mac.
Turn your song-files into mp4 using your video creation software, and Youtube loves you.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,267 of 8,714

Alice Sara Ott, is not an asian, so, ....
She's a blend.
She's the best of both world's, as she has the Germanic heritage which gave you Mozart and Bach, and i assume you think they are "ok", or too shallow?
And so, her Japanese heritage combined with her German genetics, creates her to be very special.
Sure, she can play all the hard pieces as if they were simple, but where she shines in in the dramatic pieces..
And i think that if you like "depth of interpretation", then Yuja Wang should fit your need, as she's a penultimate classical artist.
She has fire and grace..... amazing really.
Think of her as the "asian Horowitz", but then, maybe you also dont like Russian Pianists.......:)

Alice's mother is pure Japanese. I clearly find "awakened"( or calculated) Japanese smell from her interpretations. IMO.
I (as Japanese) personally don't prefer it so much. maybe Westerners can enjoy its uniqueness? maybe....:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,268 of 8,714
Alice's mother is pure Japanese. I clearly find "awakened" Japanese smell from her interpretations. IMO.
I (as Japanese) personally don't prefer it so much. maybe Westerners can enjoy its uniqueness? maybe....:smile_phones:

Are you Chinese?
I understand that the Chinese, in general, really hate the Japanese.
But no matter.
You just said that "well her mother is pure Japanese", as if this is like a disease, she suffers from........:)
And like i said, Alice Sara Ott's father, is NOT Japanese, so.....she's a hybrid.
Most of us are.
However, as we all belong to the "human race family", its best that we dont dislike or discount other human family, just because they can't help being born black, Chinese, Japanese, or ........

If you "WIKI" her, you'll discover that Alice Sara OTT is defined as a "German Pianist"......she studied in Salsberg, and her mentality is German.
Im not certain what yours is, but based on what you are saying, i think i understand your mentality very well now.

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,269 of 8,714
oh, come on.....LOL, I am Japanese.....of course.
I as Japanese dislike calculated Japanese things. You should live in Japan at least once. Everythings are mechanically calculated. I personally don't like it.:smile_phones:
I really love Horowitz, He was not a mechanical pianist. I feel humanity from him.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,271 of 8,714
@FB1 I have read a book which Japanese music professor wrote. he said Asian use left side brain to hear the sound. europian use right side brain to hear the sound.( maybe SPECT or PET scan was used.)
so there is actually the scientifically based difference between asian and europian. so it's not racism at all. FYI

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,273 of 8,714
@FB1 I have read a book which Japanese music professor wrote. he said Asian use left side brain to hear the sound. europian use right side brain to hear the sound.( maybe SPECT or PET scan was used.)
so there is actually the scientifically based difference between asian and europian. so it's not racism at all. FYI

A music professor is not qualified to diagnose how a human brain works, Pokemonn.
He or she is a professor of music, not a professor of brain research.
Im a teacher of a few subjects, so, does this make me a professor of micro biology, if you site me as a source?
I dont teach that., and your music professor does not teach anything related to brain research.
So, You are citing as your proof, the random opinion and unproven theory of someone who has studied MUSIC........not BRAINS.
Ok?

And in fact, all humans have the same blood, just different antigens.
All humans have the same BRAIN, that works exactly the same way, but not all IQ's are the same, of course.
So, the Japanese STYLE of piano technique, if there is such a thing regarding a player who is from JAPAN, would not be caused by their brain, but it would be cause by the way they were taught to play.
Same with the "Russian style" of piano technique.
Horowitz played the standard Russian Conservatory style that all of them play, as this is an enforced technique, and they are made to learn it, and execute it, until its what they do automatically.
Its no different then learning to play the Classical Piano style with "flat fingers", or "rounded fingers".
All of this is just technique, and its taught, learned , and reproduced, and has nothing to do with BEING any type ethnic group, including Japanese , Chinese, Latino, or Black.

Listen, had Yuja Wang, or Alice Sara Ott, been born in RUSSIA the same year as Horowitz was born, and if they had been sent to the same conservatory as Horowitz, and had the same instructors, then they would play the same style.
This is exactly why Yuja Wang has a technique that is very similar to the very fast and pristine technique that Horowitz used..........its because Yuja was taught by a person who was also taught the Russian Style and was in fact a piano student of Horowitz's.
So, it not their brain that is causing them to play a certain style..........
Its simply they way they were taught from the beginning, and they mastered this technique that over years of repetition, becomes a style, a sound....etc.
I have Alice Sara Ott's recent CD, and it does not display the "Japanese" style you are speaking about, and how could it?....She was not taught in Japan, she was taught in Germany-Austria, and these Germanic piano instructors, are related to Bach, Mozart, and not anyone who is Japanese.
Alice Sara Ott possesses a german classical piano style, and she has also cultivated a very romantic style..........she blends German precision technique with a very warm legato tone.
She's an amazing player.......as is Yuja Wang.

enjoyed talking with you.

fb1

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,274 of 8,714
@FB1 Yes He is not brain professor but its pure scientific fact he quoted.
and Alice's mother is a pure Japanese pianist. she was growing up during her Japanese mother playing piano in her home. it sure affects her brain forming I believe. IMO.
There is an old/famous Japanese quote which is " 3 years old child' soul affect 100 years."...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,276 of 8,714
@FB1 Yes He is not brain professor but its pure scientific fact he quoted.
and Alice's mother is a pure Japanese pianist. she was growing up during her Japanese mother playing piano in her home. it sure affects her brain forming I believe. IMO.
There is an old/famous Japanese quote which is " 3 years old child' soul affect 100 years."...
-
Perhaps what you might consider is that the true early "effect" the mother had on the child, was that the child was influenced to desire to become a classical pianist.
And what you are describing that you feel you hear in her playing, is a "style" of playing......and you have to learn how to play, before you develop a style.
Alice learned to play, in Germany, taught by Salzburg-Germans, the German idea of classical piano playing.
So, that is her style, as there is no other way it could be., based on her piano playing development.
Now, had her mother taught Alice for 20 yrs, then you have a valid argument.
But she didnt.

Also, if you watch the recent video i posted........Alice says that what affected her to want to become a classical pianist, was not her mother.....but watching another pianist in concert.
So what does this tell us. ?
It tells us that during the "3 yrs = affects 100", or as the bible says..."train up a child the way they should go, and when they are older they wont depart from it"..... So, in fact, this child of German culture heard the mother's playing, and also other concert pianists at the same time.
Following this, she was trained for years and year, not by mama, but by the German - Salzburg (piano virtuoso) system.
She was not born in Japan, She was born in Germany.
She's German, by birth and by culture, and by 50% of parent, as her dad is a German.
She, a german, has been training in the German music system, since she was 4 yrs old.
She defines herself as a German Pianist..
She is defined by her record label and by all biographies as being GERMAN.
So, i understand that you feel that all this does not prove anything, and all that matters is that you feel you hear something in her playing, because her mother is Japanese, and plays piano.
However Pokemonn, i dont think the facts are on your side. ......:)

its been fun talking to you about this, but i will leave it now.
feel free to respond, and then you can have the last word.

my pleasure,

fb1

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,277 of 8,714
You forgot to mention one important thing.
Alice can speak the very fluent Japanese language. Her Japanese is near perfect. She went to a Japanese language school during her childhood.
when Alice speaks Japanese at media, her attitude/mood/thinking/frame/politeness etc are completely Japanese.
Language during childhood can affect brain forming especially sound process area. it's maybe one of the most important things.
anyway, good luck... thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back