Popular Classical Music
Oct 19, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #1,996 of 8,720
The orchestral harmony creates so many dimensional space that there are unthinkable expression is possible, whereas human business world genetates only small dimensional space barely made.
And the place makes so boring that we should escape as soon as possible.
Those other threads might contain boreing words.
Here is real thing.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,997 of 8,720
I have the same issue, I think some of the videos @Head1 post are restricted to UK. I use Windscribe, with the free account you can get up to 15GB/month data, and luckily it has a free UK VPN server.

If you want an extra 1GB data, send me a PM I can give you my referral link.

Thank you, Mr wskl for your help!

Oct 20, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,998 of 8,720
Another rising artist to "keep an ear on" and maybe eye for the girls ? seems to be The young Icelandic pianist Vikungur Olafsson. He has just got a Bach album out on DGG and I just listened to his recent Concert in Gothenburg Sweden via GSOplay. The Stravinsky is not what I would label as Popular Classical Twelf Tone and all.
But Mozart's 24th Piano Concerto is superb both as a composition and as played in this Concert.
Only available until 12/11. Cheers Christer
Stravinsky Movements for Piano and Orchestra & Mozart Pianokonsert nr 24.
Cheers Christer

In case you are not sure where to watch this, go here:
https://www.gso.se/en/gsoplay/video/stravinsky-mozart-with-vikingur/

Thank you, Mr wskl for your help!

You're welcome!

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #2,001 of 8,720
Last nights "Friday" concert from the National Concert Hall, Dublin.

Note
: that this video will likely only last until next Friday morning before being deleted.

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Vedernikov conductor
Oksana Volkova mezzo-soprano

Rachmaninov The Isle of the Dead / 20’
Mussorgsky (Arr. Shortakovich) Songs and Dances of Death / 25’
Mussorgsky (Orch. Ravel) Pictures at an Exhibition / 35’

Promotional spiel:
Welcome to the glorious world of Russian music – every bit as emotional as its football!

Guiding you through the stormy Russian soul in two orchestral masterpieces and a compelling song cycle dealing with misadventure, war, death and fantasy (not unlike the World Cup, then) are Russian conductor Alexander Vedernikov – ‘exhilarating from beginning to end’ (Financial Times) – and ‘mesmerising’ (LatvianNational Opera) Belarussian mezzo-soprano Oksana Volkova.

Inspired by Arnold Böcklin’s mysterious painting of a coffin’s final journey across deathly still waters towards a forbidding shore, Rachmaninov’s The Isle of the Dead is hair-raising, spine-tingling stuff. Moving with unsettling dream-like fluidity, it gives gripping voice to powerful, primal emotions in music of unforgettable passion.

Brace yourself for the colourful, contagious world of Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition – a dark kaleidoscope of images drawn from Victor Hartmann’s paintings populated by gnomes, quarrelling children, a strutting hut on hen’s legs (no, really) and unhatched chickens in a bizarre ballet. Admit it: you’re curious. In Maurice Ravel’s ravishing orchestration, it’s a wonderful collision of the art gallery, the cinema blockbuster and a symphony orchestra, all hallucinating together.

Mussorgsky’s Songs and Dances of Death are as beautiful, bleak and hypnotic as their gleefully grim title suggests.

0010daf5-642.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_10951677_8861_19-10-2018_

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #2,002 of 8,720
Arirang Fantasy : Very special far oriental country, Korean traditional classic (more than 500 years old)
KBS Symphony Orchestra
Yoel Levi: conductor for KBS SO

J H Chai: conductor for NKO

Above: by South Korean, KBS symphony orchestra
Below: by North Korean symphony orchestra

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #2,003 of 8,720
Thanks Christer and Mr Wskl, here is the actual Vimeo video ( you can see link in the bottom right hand side of the GSO videos)

It is amazing @Light - Man
I didn't know that Mozart has this dynamic and gripping rhythmical piece.
You make me enLightened-Man!
By the way, this video remains here forever?

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #2,004 of 8,720
I'm trying to get into classical. Can someone recommend one or two albums suitable for a complete beginner? Thanks!

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,006 of 8,720

Unfortunately as far as I know it will only be available until the 12th of November.
GSO LIVE restricts the availabilty online unless you pay for an upgraded version via their own special app. If you do you get 90 days and can even donwload and listen off line, if I understand their policies correctly?
Cheers Christer

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #2,007 of 8,720
I'm trying to get into classical. Can someone recommend one or two albums suitable for a complete beginner? Thanks!

I have this Deutsche Grammophon (DG) " The Yellow Guide" which is a 3 CD box set

This track sounds stunning on the CD but this YT video is pretty good also.

Paganini Caprice No.24 by Shlomo Mintz.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #2,008 of 8,720

If you liked it here is another Youtube video of Mozart's most popular and well known Piano Concerto nr 21 in C-Major, also worth tuning into imho.
And this one looks like its been up since 2014.
It is taken from the Tchaikovsky piano competition in Russia with a hitherto unkown to me at least, Korean pianist giving a superb performance of this indeed popular classic masterpiece.
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21, K.467 / Yeol Eum Son.
PS. if my link as usual? leads you nowhere, maybe someone with better tech knowledge can help?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #2,009 of 8,720
Last nights "Friday" concert from the National Concert Hall, Dublin.

Note
: that this video will likely only last until next Friday morning before being deleted.

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Vedernikov conductor
Oksana Volkova mezzo-soprano

Rachmaninov The Isle of the Dead / 20’
Mussorgsky (Arr. Shortakovich) Songs and Dances of Death / 25’
Mussorgsky (Orch. Ravel) Pictures at an Exhibition / 35’

Promotional spiel:
Welcome to the glorious world of Russian music – every bit as emotional as its football!

Guiding you through the stormy Russian soul in two orchestral masterpieces and a compelling song cycle dealing with misadventure, war, death and fantasy (not unlike the World Cup, then) are Russian conductor Alexander Vedernikov – ‘exhilarating from beginning to end’ (Financial Times) – and ‘mesmerising’ (LatvianNational Opera) Belarussian mezzo-soprano Oksana Volkova.

Inspired by Arnold Böcklin’s mysterious painting of a coffin’s final journey across deathly still waters towards a forbidding shore, Rachmaninov’s The Isle of the Dead is hair-raising, spine-tingling stuff. Moving with unsettling dream-like fluidity, it gives gripping voice to powerful, primal emotions in music of unforgettable passion.

Brace yourself for the colourful, contagious world of Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition – a dark kaleidoscope of images drawn from Victor Hartmann’s paintings populated by gnomes, quarrelling children, a strutting hut on hen’s legs (no, really) and unhatched chickens in a bizarre ballet. Admit it: you’re curious. In Maurice Ravel’s ravishing orchestration, it’s a wonderful collision of the art gallery, the cinema blockbuster and a symphony orchestra, all hallucinating together.

Mussorgsky’s Songs and Dances of Death are as beautiful, bleak and hypnotic as their gleefully grim title suggests.

0010daf5-642.jpg

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=b16_10951677_8861_19-10-2018_

Hi Lightman, it looks like my problems with sound from only one channel is limited to this video now.
Strange and unfortunate I would have liked to listen especially to the Isle of the Dead which is imho one of he most haunting pieces Rachmaninov ever composed. Great piece. But alas, sound only from the right channel.
Maybe I don't really need that slap from your vicious cat after all?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back