Popular Classical Music
Jun 17, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #166 of 8,702

This is not the soundtrack, but a symphonic piece written by John de Meij.  It is most commonly performed by a concert band, but I really like this recording.  The link that I posted is just the first movement, but if you go to youtube you can listen to the other 4 movements.  Total length is about 30 minutes, so if you're listening on headphones at work this will take a small chunk of your day.

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #170 of 8,702
3 Ave Maria versions in a row maybe too much to handle for some people but I think it is an absolutely glorious composition especially with female vocals.

I like it not for any particular religious reason but I think it is one of very few songs that could possibly connect this world with the spiritual world.

The first is a piano version followed by female vocals.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #172 of 8,702

Something light hearted.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #173 of 8,702
"Ma qual mai s'offre, o Dei" from Mozart's Don Giovanni.  Performed by Anna Netrebko and Christoph Strehl, a really great duet IMHO. 

I was hoping to find a good live performance on YouTube so that everyone could enjoy the opera theatrics, but it seems the ones I have listened to are marred by some background noise, someone coughing, etc.  Oh well, this is still a good listen.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #174 of 8,702
  3 Ave Maria versions in a row maybe too much to handle for some people but I think it is an absolutely glorious composition especially with female vocals.

I like it not for any particular religious reason but I think it is one of very few songs that could possibly connect this world with the spiritual world.

The first is a piano version followed by female vocals. 

The version by Giulio Caccini is really wonderful, one of the best I have heard.  Thanks for that!

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #175 of 8,702
  Something light hearted.

Another one slightly off-piste or some may even say taking the piste.
blink.gif

Worth watching to the end.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #177 of 8,702
  Bach - Air on the G String - original instruments

Aaron Copeland - Hoedown

It's been a little while since I've heard the original score of the Bach.  I get so used to listening to brass arrangements for Bach's music.  How about a little Beethoven to get your morning going?  Just checked, and it's not morning for you.  Either way, it's always a good time for Beethoven.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #179 of 8,702
  How bout some tuba for @goldtuba ?

I've had the opportunity to see Oystein live on multiple occasions.  He is an amazing musician who can do things on the tuba that most people wouldn't consider to be possible.  Or wouldn't think of it at all since most people don't think about tuba music.  I've seen him perform "Winter" from the Four Seasons, and he plays it with a clarity that shouldn't be possible on an instrument that responds so slowly.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back