Popular Classical Music
Jun 7, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #136 of 8,686
  This looks like it could be it.

@Mr Trev yes there really is a Banjo Concerto.

Yep, that's the NVSO in action!  They are pretty cool.  We became sustaining members last year because - their educational program for the kids is superb.  Check it out, on their web site.  Not to mention a super classical offering and other fun stuff...we are going this w/e to see Star Trek "Into Darkness" with the SO playing the score.  Should be a cool event!

However, thanks for posting the old Bugs Bunny stuff - I'd forgotten how cool that was!  How I miss Bugs and his satire, along with the great music.

Cheers,
RCB

ps. If y'all haven't watched Disney's Fantasia in awhile, I highly recommend it.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #140 of 8,686
  Some classical guitar love. Asturias / Isaac Albeniz, as played by John Williams:

Segovia's interpretation, bad quality though:

Nice, and another good one - sorry for being so predictable with all the attractive ladies
tongue_smile.gif

And another version of it by Segovia but it takes about 20" to start playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dqzGgMnypw

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #141 of 8,686
Guys, some people may criticize Youtube for SQ but for some reason I cannot get my CD player to project beautiful images onto my retina!
wink_face.gif

And one more for something a little different

And another - you guys are a bad influence on me
smile.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #142 of 8,686
  Guys, some people may critisize Youtube for SQ but for some reason I cannot get my CD player to project beautiful images onto my retina!
wink_face.gif

I was debating whether to share Ana Vidovic's performance or John Williams'. I really love Ana's performance here, it feels calmer. I chose John's because of the harmonics he executes during the performance.

Moonlight Sonata was the composition that got me really into classical music. But I had always loved the guitar, and then I started discovering guitar arrangements for the sonata. It was a wonderful day.

And, for something completely different. Traditionalists might even consider it blasphemous to include this in a classical music thread, but here goes. Please ignore the video, just close your eyes and listen (and try to ignore the not-so-good recording quality). :)

I've heard many electric guitar covers of classical music, Lai's are certainly my favourite. I think he conveys the emotion behind compositions extremely well. His videos can be a bit... jarring, but his playing and arrangements are really good (in my opinion). It's like he listens to the compositions, understands the emotion, and rearranges it for the electric guitar. He really makes them his own. :)

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #144 of 8,686

Originally Posted by elessartelconta 

And, for something completely different. Traditionalists might even consider it blasphemous to include this in a classical music thread, but here goes. Please ignore the video, just close your eyes and listen (and try to ignore the not-so-good recording quality). :)

I've heard many electric guitar covers of classical music, Lai's are certainly my favourite. I think he conveys the emotion behind compositions extremely well. His videos can be a bit... jarring, but his playing and arrangements are really good (in my opinion). It's like he listens to the compositions, understands the emotion, and rearranges it for the electric guitar. He really makes them his own. :)

I reckon I have a pathological tendency to be easily led astray
blink.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #145 of 8,686
I reckon Elina Garanca is one of the very best ever?

Heading to see Hayley Westenra with her Lightness on Saturday at the NCH Dublin.

Not a great recording but good enough to check her out if you are not familiar with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back