Poor paint job on HD 800...
Jan 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
Everything about the build quality of this headphone is rock solid, except for the paint job. The silver is VERY easily scratched, I'm not sure how this could happen, I keep them on two places, on my head and in their storage box. 

Anyways, can you repaint those tiny areas perfectly, very carefully? This is very, very irritating. Appreciate answers...

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
Well... the paint job is made in China.

LOL 
atsmile.gif

Well as long as it can be easily fixed I'm ok...

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 23
Interested in pics? Just imagine a HD 800 with a tiny, annoying scratch in the plastic silver frame. :) 

I'm wondering if there really is a bad paint job or if I accidentally scratched it, I just can't imagine how... 

Two questions: Do you think I can get a new one or just have to fix it for my self (not really a problem)? 
Most importantly: 

What kind of silver is used in the paint? Just regular metallic silver? Something you can buy in stores? 

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 23
I don't think there's any actual silver used in the paint. It's probably just an ordinary enamel.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Scratches happen. It'll sound the same fixed or not and I doubt a small scratch would change the used price.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 23
It would be hard matching the color and would have to be done via an airbrush. Luckily mine are ok but try and take extra special care treating them like they were made from egg shells which in reality you should not have to do as durability should be a given for this sort of gear (especially for the price paid)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
I don't think there's any actual silver used in the paint. It's probably just an ordinary enamel.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Scratches happen. It'll sound the same fixed or not and I doubt a small scratch would change the used price.

Yes I know, but when it's poor lightning in the room, the scratch appears as a black spot, sort of like someone spilled black ink on there.
I'll post a picture this afternoon... 

Quote:
How long have you had them?

I bought them Saturday...

Quote:
It would be hard matching the color and would have to be done via an airbrush. Luckily mine are ok but try and take extra special care treating them like they were made from egg shells which in reality you should not have to do as durability should be a given for this sort of gear (especially for the price paid)

Can't you just carefully spray that area? 

They seem like a durable headphone in all other areas. (Though NO WAY I'll even CONSIDER the fact to move them outside my house)

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 23
Just got an answer from Sennheiser, the guy asked me to send some photos, it may be a bad painting job on this particular set. 

It's kinda funny, yesterday I almost felt it was a different HD 800 in my home than what everybody is claiming. Sounds more like the way people describe the HD 650. The bass is definitely present and large in soundtracks such as "The Dark Knight" and I can't sense any kind of high-frequency brightness. Everything is just endlessly smooth and it can handle everything I throw at it with ease (except for classical, since it's not yet properly amped). Of course this is probably because my stereo amplifier's amp section limits the frequency response by a significant amount. And they're not burned in either...

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 23
It´s not an isolated case, all the HD 800 I´ve seen have suffered from the same problem. The paint slowly starts to chip away with use, it´s extremely rare to see a used HD 800 that doesn´t have at least some bits of paint missing. All in all it´s very embarrassing for Sennheiser. Otherwise the build quality is fantastic, but the paint job is horrible!

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
It´s not an isolated case, all the HD 800 I´ve seen have suffered from the same problem. The paint slowly starts to chip away with use, it´s extremely rare to see a used HD 800 that doesn´t have at least some bits of paint missing. All in all it´s very embarrassing for Sennheiser. Otherwise the build quality is fantastic, but the paint job is horrible!

I agree, but within 24 hours???

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #15 of 23
I've had mine for several months and had no problems with it. crap! I just realized that mine also have chipped a little on the corner but its barely visible... Also, I really took care of it and never left it on a hard surface so im kinda dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back