Nov 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

thatonenoob

Reviewer: PMR Audio
ETYMOTIC RESEARCH’S ER-4PT

<< Final Audio Design Lab 1         
Quick Navigation Panel
                 Bang and Olufsen H3 >>

INTRODUCTION

Our previous review on the Final Audio Design Lab 1 brought us to the upper limits of avant-garde audio.  In contrast, today’s review will be on a pair of earphones that focuses heavily on technical capability and accurate reproduction of sound.  Welcome to the Etymotic Research ER-4PT.

Etymotic Research is one of the most enduring names in the audio industry.   Founded in 1983 by Mead Killion and Edwin DeVilbiss, Etymotic Research originally made its name producing hearing aids and other related equipment.  Eventually, that experience would be used to make some of the most famous earphones in audio history.  The name Etymotic itself is derived from Greek and means “true to the ear”.  It is quite safe to say that their earphones fall nothing short of that.

Currently, Etymotic Research’s top of the line offering comes in the form of the ER-4 microPro Earphone series.  According to Etymotic Research, the ER-4 earphones were the “world’s first high-fidelity, noise isolating in-ear earphones”.  It might also be interesting to note that with the exception of minor tuning, the ER-4 series has changed very little since it was first released 30 years ago.  The three variants that comprise the ER-4 series are the: ER-4PT, ER-4S, and ER-4B.  Coming in at 299 USD each, these sit solidly in the mid-range IEM category.

Before I go any further, a big thank you to Gail @ Etymotic Research for sending the ER-4PT for review.  As always, I am neither an affiliate nor an employee of Etymotic research, and all photos in this review are owned by me.

SPECIFICATIONS

TYPE: Single Balanced Armature Driver
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20-16,000 Hz
IMPEDANCE (@1kHz): 4B (100 Ohms) 4S (100 Ohms) 4P (27 Ohms) 4PT (27 Ohms)
SENSITIVITY (@1 kHz) SPL at 0.1v: 4B (90 dB) 4S (90 dB) 4P (102 dB) 4PT (102 dB)
WEIGHT: Very, very light.
PRICE: 299 USD

PACKAGING/ INCLUDED ITEMS

The ER-4PT features one of the most comprehensive earphone packages for its price range.  Opening the cardboard box reveals a well-built plastic case with the word “Etymōtic” in red on the lid.  The case has a utilitarian, 90s IBM device look that characterizes the practical nature of Etymotic Research's products.  Opening the plastic case reveals the ER-4PT and a whole myriad of accessories. In addition, each ER-4PT earphone comes with a Channel-Matching Compliance Graph.

Starting with carrying case options, the ER-4PT can either be transported in a small carrying pouch or inside the large plastic case.  The small carrying pouch will do just fine at accommodating the ER-4PT and its relatively long cable, but not much else.  As I use a messenger bag on a daily basis though, I often found that it was easier just to bring the larger plastic case and toss all the accessories/ earphones inside.  In addition, the plastic case comes with foam cut outs for the filter changer, 3.5mm to 6.3 mm adapter, 2 sets of flange tips, and the earphones themselves, which makes for much easier access than fumbling around with accessories strewn inside the small carrying pouch.

A wide range of eartips is included with the ER-4PT, including the proprietary glider tips and the black foam tips.  However, neither of the above worked very well (glider kept falling out, black foam was a little rough and uncomfortable to wear).  The classic triple flange worked brilliantly though, but a little tutorial (for first-time users) is in order.  To achieve a good seal with the triple flange tips, gently pull your ear back with one hand before inserting the earphone at a slight angle with the other.  Use a twisting motion to ensure the best seal possible.  You’ll be able to tell that a seal has been achieved by the fact that you won’t be hearing much of the outside world afterwards.  The isolation is so good that I was able to fall asleep on the sub (for the first time ever), during which I ended up missing my stop by several stations.  

The last part in the ER-4PT’s extensive package is the ER-4PT to ER-4S converter cable.  The ER-4PT features 10dB greater output at higher frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies than the ER-4S.  The ER-4S will generally need an amp in order to be powered effectively.  Interestingly enough, the ER-4S and the ER-4PT are being sold for the exact same price (MSRP).

BUILD/ DESIGN QUALITY

The ER-4PT has a low-profile, cylindrical plastic housing.  The stem of the earphone is quite thin, which has caused some users trouble in the past. In addition, as a model-kit hobbyist, I wasn’t a huge fan of the fact that plastic flashing/mold lines were still visible on the earphone. However, while plastic isn’t my material of choice, it does make the ER-4PT lightweight (and will ensure that it can survive more than a few drops).

The cable is well built.  The top half is braided, while the bottom half is a shiny reinforced plastic similar to those found on flexible bike locks.  Strain relief is present where it counts, and the split is robust (if not a little hefty).  The 3.5 mm plug is 90 degrees, and similarly durable.  My only complaint is that microphonics is moderately noticeable, but that can be easily resolved with the use of the provided clothing clip (albeit not the most elegant solution).

Overall, the various aspects of the ER-4PT’s build work together to create a very coherent design.  The weight of the earphones and the thin stem are well suited for the deep-insertion seal, which ultimately betters the sound quality.  And that is always a plus!

SOUND QUALITY

The ER-4PT defines the classic “Etymotics Sound”.  It features a bright, analytical and crystal clear SQ.  Be prepared to hear things that you may never have heard before in your tracks, including imperfections in source material.  Starting with the bass, the ER-4PT doesn’t break any conventions.  It has good impact and speed, but lacks a certain fullness due to the obvious limitations of a single balanced armature driver in a plastic housing (which helps to tighten decay, for better or for worse).

The mids are good, with very little coloration and a generally neutral sound.  Sibilance is not a problem, but as stated before, the ER-4PT will magnify any imperfections in source material.  As with the bass, the midrange does leave a bit of fullness to be desired.  The treble on the ER-4PT is amazingly clear and thoroughly detailed.  Unlike some earphones, the ER-4PT is not afraid to establish its treble presence.  However, harshness was never a problem with the ER-4PT.

It should thus come of no surprise that the ER-4PT has some of the best instrument separation around.  It never failed to render different instruments, no matter how busy or congested a track may be. This may even make for a slightly odd and disorienting listening experience at first!   Soundstage is moderately sized, but the instrument separation does help significantly. That said, the emphasis on the high frequency notes and the great sound isolation can still make for a slightly intense listening experience.

Popping on the adapter to convert the ER-4PT to ER-4S, I felt that a touch of air was added to the earphones.  The same clarity and detail is maintained, but the sound is a bit more neutral. Purists will definitely find this option more appealing.  However, this will come at the expense of convenience, as a portable headphone amp is highly advisable with the ER-4S.  

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall, the ER-4PT is a great pair of earphones when it comes to clarity of sound and accuracy of reproduction. And while in recent years, the ER-4 series has faced increased competition in the rapidly expanding IEM market, it’s safe to say that the earphones still offer a truly impressive sound signature.  It's one of those earphones that simply can't be missed in one's audio journey, and I would gladly recommend these to users who enjoy an analytical, bright, and extremely clear sound.

Thanks for reading and happy listening!

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 46

So it lacks heft?  :wink:

(I only tease you because your grammar throughout this review is impeccable but for the above glitch.)

Good review! I think that I will pass and stick with the Lab 1 and other FAD abominations.

Haha, nice catch! Going with the idiosyncratic vibe from the Lab 1, I'll leave the error in there to add personality. 
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 46
Bravo! Well-written :) I've only managed to audition a demo set at a local shop some time back, but didn't really take too much a liking. Didn't help that my small ears made it so much harder to get a proper fit. And as always, I'm in awe that you're able to land fantastic phones as samples to review!

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 46
Bravo! Well-written
smily_headphones1.gif
I've only managed to audition a demo set at a local shop some time back, but didn't really take too much a liking. Didn't help that my small ears made it so much harder to get a proper fit. And as always, I'm in awe that you're able to land fantastic phones as samples to review!

Wow. You were actually able to get a review sample from Etymotic, a company with a large majority of reviews (like, say, at least 90%) coming from buyers who actually bought them. This is now getting completely insane.

Good review though. 
tongue.gif

Thanks for the support!  Haha, rest assured, the next pair is a loan unit! 
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 46
I love BASE!! Will this make my hip hop and metal songs kick my head in?

Only kidding. Good to see the Etys still getting some love. First pair of high end IEMs I bought. Since then I have learned a lot and moved on, but part of me wonders what my brain would make of them now....

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 46
Excellent and enjoyable review as usual :)

Everytime I hear the ER4 I can't help but feel astonished at the clarity and resolution. I have owned them twice so far, but always ended up craving for more bass and a bit of coloration after a while. This review tempts me to go for a third time now....

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 46

SOUND QUALITY

The ER-4PT defines the classic “Etymotics Sound”.  It features a bright analytical SQ with piercing clarity.  Be prepared to hear things that you may never have heard before in your tracks, including imperfections in source material.  

Thank you for the review.

I have the ER-4PT and I need to make a point to the statement you made that is quoted above because I think it is highly misleading for people who may consider to try this IEM. Yes, the ER-4PT is a very "clean" sounding IEM, very resolving, but it is not bright analytical ear piercing ,this is a very undeserved description. It is not "ear piercing"at all. Indeed the ER-4PT not only plays fantastic with all types of music (is a great allrounder) but moreover it is not tiring at all, even with modern (i.e. compressed) recordings it sounds fantastic, the top frequencies are clear and extended but never sibilant at all, never tiring. From the way you describe it it looks like a horrible IEM that will highlight all the bad side of recordings and will become ear-piercing. It is just the contrary, the ER-4PT is a masterpiece of IEM, combines amazing clarity and musicality while being revealing but not tiring at all.

This is a IEM that shall be reference for any other IEM to be compared with. Very strongly recommended.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 46
Thank you for the review.

I have the ER-4PT and I need to make a point to the statement you made that is quoted above because I think it is highly misleading for people who may consider to try this IEM. Yes, the ER-4PT is a very "clean" sounding IEM, very resolving, but it is not bright analytical ear piercing ,this is a very undeserved description. It is not "ear piercing"at all. Indeed the ER-4PT not only plays fantastic with all types of music (is a great allrounder) but moreover it is not tiring at all, even with modern (i.e. compressed) recordings it sounds fantastic, the top frequencies are clear and extended but never sibilant at all, never tiring. From the way you describe it it looks like a horrible IEM that will highlight all the bad side of recordings and will become ear-piercing. It is just the contrary, the ER-4PT is a masterpiece of IEM, combines amazing clarity and musicality while being revealing but not tiring at all.

This is a IEM that shall be reference for any other IEM to be compared with. Very strongly recommended.

Thanks for the reply. While I do agree that there is very little sibiliance, and that it sounds revealing, I do think it gets a little intense at times.

The ER-4PT will reveal recording imperfections. Whether or not that makes for a "horrible" pair of earphones is your opinion, and not mine.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 46
  Unit of measure for sensitivity is dB / mW. Ohm is a unit of measure for electrical resistance. A good review otherwise!

SENSITIVITY: 4S (90 Ohms), 4PT (102 Ohms)
IMPEDANCE: 4S (100 Ohms), 4PT (27 Ohms)

Oh dear not sure how that slipped by.  Looking back, it seems that I had grabbed the specs from my 2nd draft instead of the final...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back