[Poor Man Reviews] Etymotic Research ER-4PT
Nov 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #16 of 46
Thanks for the review! I've been using my ER4-P's for something like a decade now.

It sounds like these still stand up pretty well to the current competition? Is that accurate?

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #17 of 46
  Thanks for the review! I've been using my ER4-P's for something like a decade now.

It sounds like these still stand up pretty well to the current competition? Is that accurate?

It has stood the test of time rather well!
redface.gif
 While it certainly isn't the most "musical" of earphones out there, the "Etymotics Sound" is unique enough to justify its place as a recommended pair of earphones in today's audio market (not to mention the fact that it is simply hard to beat in terms of accuracy, clarity).  

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 46

Oh dear not sure how that slipped by.  Looking back, it seems that I had grabbed the specs from my 2nd draft instead of the final...
redface.gif

Well if it makes you feel better, I withdraw my earlier teasing. Upon much reflection, I am convinced that in the context used in your review "if a little hefty" and "if not a little hefty" mean exactly the same thing.

You said nothing wrong. Mea culpa. Ain't English fun? 
smile.gif

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #20 of 46
I really enjoy these paired with Sony DAP's (I have the NWZ-S639F and NWZ-A865), usually with the EQ pushed up a notch or two across the frequency band (but no bass boost) to increase presence. The sound is very clear and detailed yet smooth. I've had them for 6 or so years and they are still getting daily use. Very rugged too.

Although the sound is in the head - unsurprising given these are in-ear phones - it keeps its composure even when the music gets very busy..

I use HD800's at home and have owned or heard several other good headphones but these do their job really well - synergy is the key. I do have the P to S adapter and used them connected to my home system briefly but haven't done much listening with this config.

Have got the Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi Pro but after the initial pleasure of extra bass wore off they have gone back to sitting in a drawer. They sound veiled in comparison (and are uncomfortable...).

I would sound a note of caution to prospective purchasers who do not live in the United States, where Etymotic Research are based. If your headphones need servicing (one of the transducers accidentally ell off mine...long story) the company will insist that you send them back to base. I said I would happily pay for them to mail me a replacment transducer and accept any risk attached but customer services consistently refused because they said the new transducer needed to be matched properly. Insured postage to and from Europe-USA plus possible import duties on return would have been a real problem so I ended up waiting until I was in the USA on an extended break to get them done.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 46
PS I use the foamies. Much more comfortable than the flange tips, easier to get a decent seal and I didn't perceive any degradation in SQ.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 46
Ok...finally found time to actually comment...can't be done from a plane/taxi.

'' It should thus come of no surprise that the ER-4PT has some of the best instrument separation around.  It never failed to render different instruments, no matter how busy or congested a track may be.'' - thatonenoob's Review

I have owned my pair of ER4pt for about 2 month now.
And I must say that i do not really agree with the above statement. Yes, the ER4 is quite clear and the treble extended without being sibilant.
Yet for me, seperation and placement is something they lack (to a certain extent). I find that the ER4 would be better off with a dualBA setup (dual for phase coherence sake), because this would probably improve the separation between instruments.

To the ER4s shines with simple and fast instruments (ErHu - Chinese fiddle), where the fast decay makes everything sound precise and on-the-point.
They have problems in passages where there is a lot going on (electric guitars + drums + singing...).In those moments I feel, the single driver could keep up with the pace, but can't handle all the different sections/instruments/layers at once. It results in a strange situation where the sound is fast, but also muddy at the same time.

In addition to that, i do not hear what people mean, when they talk about the ER4s' microdetail 

This being said, the ER4 is an iem which appeals to me personally, not too much due to its technical proficiency, but rather because its overall nature is uncoloured and well extended in the treble. It is a signature i very much like - yet to me they do not seem overly special. I won't be giving it away anytime soon.

....Let the hating begin...

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 46
This is my first reply on the forum, although old, I am new to the portable audio/IEM world. With that said, "I think I have a problem" "I am becoming an IEM Junkie". I do have the FIIIO set up pictured in your profile minus the ER4s. I have been considering the Fidue a83, the Dunus, and the T-Peos offerings but I have become stuck on not ruling out the ER-4PTs. I am also considering waiting for the HAVI B6. I have accumulated the triple-fi 10, Ostry's two variations, the HAVI B3 and a "few" others. I do also have the Hi-FI man H-400s. I obviously need help, but have become hooked.  Any advice including Psychiatric welcomed.
Thank you.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 46
  This is my first reply on the forum, although old, I am new to the portable audio/IEM world. With that said, "I think I have a problem" "I am becoming an IEM Junkie". I do have the FIIIO set up pictured in your profile minus the ER4s. I have been considering the Fidue a83, the Dunus, and the T-Peos offerings but I have become stuck on not ruling out the ER-4PTs. I am also considering waiting for the HAVI B6. I have accumulated the triple-fi 10, Ostry's two variations, the HAVI B3 and a "few" others. I do also have the Hi-FI man H-400s. I obviously need help, but have become hooked.  Any advice including Psychiatric welcomed.
Thank you.

Dear cme4dp,

First of all, welcome to Head-Fi.org.

Kindly move your personal question, as to not disturb this particular thread, which is not dedicated to such questions.

Possibly this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/717134/new-member-introductions-thread

Thank you for understanding.

- TheDreamthinker

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #26 of 46
  Ok...finally found time to actually comment...can't be done from a plane/taxi.

'' It should thus come of no surprise that the ER-4PT has some of the best instrument separation around.  It never failed to render different instruments, no matter how busy or congested a track may be.'' - thatonenoob's Review

I have owned my pair of ER4pt for about 2 month now.
And I must say that i do not really agree with the above statement. Yes, the ER4 is quite clear and the treble extended without being sibilant.
Yet for me, seperation and placement is something they lack (to a certain extent). I find that the ER4 would be better off with a dualBA setup (dual for phase coherence sake), because this would probably improve the separation between instruments.

To the ER4s shines with simple and fast instruments (ErHu - Chinese fiddle), where the fast decay makes everything sound precise and on-the-point.
They have problems in passages where there is a lot going on (electric guitars + drums + singing...).In those moments I feel, the single driver could keep up with the pace, but can't handle all the different sections/instruments/layers at once. It results in a strange situation where the sound is fast, but also muddy at the same time.

In addition to that, i do not hear what people mean, when they talk about the ER4s' microdetail 

This being said, the ER4 is an iem which appeals to me personally, not too much due to its technical proficiency, but rather because its overall nature is uncoloured and well extended in the treble. It is a signature i very much like - yet to me they do not seem overly special. I won't be giving it away anytime soon.

....Let the hating begin...

Hmm....Interesting.  I can't say I am hearing what you are hearing, but I don't have golden ears at any rate. 
tongue.gif
  Let me try some Led Zep again and I'll see if I can pick up some of your observations.  

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 46
Thanks for the reply. While I do agree that there is very little sibiliance, and that it sounds revealing, I do think it gets a little intense at times.

The ER-4PT will reveal recording imperfections. Whether or not that makes for a "horrible" pair of earphones is your opinion, and not mine.

I don't disagree with you that the ER-4PT is a revealing headphone, but as opposed to many analytical HP the ER-4PT can handle poor recordings quite well. Other analytical IEMs or HPs can be very harsh with poor recordings, not the ER-4PT. My point was most about the use of specific wording like "ear piercing" that has a very negative connotation that I don't think the ER-4PT deserves. Besides that I agree with your global description of the ER-4PT so I am not questioning your views at all, just the contrary I am highlighting that this is a highly recommended IEM as you suggest as well. 

Thank you again for sharing your nice review with everyone. I liked it and I fully agree and appreciate your last statement, you nailed it! 
wink_face.gif

... it’s safe to say that the earphones still offer a truly impressive sound signature.  It's one of those earphones that simply can't be missed in one's audio journey, and I would gladly recommend these to users who enjoy an analytical, bright, and extremely clear sound.

this IEM is a must for audiophiles ...

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #28 of 46
Thank you.

Yes, my advice is this - unless you want the extreme isolation that IEMs provide, give them up and go for either earbuds or headphones. They sound better

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 46
Yes, my advice is this - unless you want the extreme isolation that IEMs provide, give them up and go for either earbuds or headphones. They sound better

Earbuds, from my experience, never sound better than any IEM I've ever tried. Ever. How, pray tell, can you possibly say earbuds sound better than IEMs?

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #30 of 46
Hmm....Interesting.  I can't say I am hearing what you are hearing, but I don't have golden ears at any rate. :p   Let me try some Led Zep again and I'll see if I can pick up some of your observations.  

thanks. Very much looking forward to your impressions....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back