PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,611 of 4,866

Of course you can.  Did I, anywhere at any time, suggest you shouldn't?  I just spent $6k on headphones, because I could, and I wanted to.

What do you have for headphones and amps?  Curious about what sort of headphone sound and style you've gone for.  I've read lots about what you've had to say about digital, but I have no idea what you use to listen and what sort of sound style you like.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,612 of 4,866
Guys, please keep to discussing the player. If you wish to discuss the science of high-res and all that, please use Sound Science. If you intend to be rude to each other, please don't post at all.

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,613 of 4,866
 I'm waiting for delivery of the acs Encore ciem, if I can get a cable that is balanced for that, that may be it...

That sounds exciting.  I bet you're chomping at the bit for them to arrive.  From what I've read (they are smooth), they should sound good with the Pono with its flat eq.  Did you try them first, or is it an "I hope" buy?

Some iems have a much greater change with balanced than others.  My Fidues sounded entirely different (fuller) but my 846s sound only slightly better.  Impedance or sound sig or?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,614 of 4,866
  Just curious, are there many Pono users out there who use it in balanced mode? I would like to read more opinions on that...

When I read olddude's comment some time ago about his Silver Dragon balanced iem cable it got me interested, but I was a bit sceptic (only in my head, not on hf
wink.gif
) and thought that the upgrade in sq was probably mainly due to the quality of the silver...
Now I have recenty bought me a Sony MDR-Z7 which comes with 2 cables, one of them single ended and the other balanced. I'm pretty sure the cables themself share the same quality. But when I heard the difference between them I was almost in shock (in a positive way) by the way the sq scaled up from Pono in balanced mode...hearing = believing => highly recommended!!!

I haven't gone balanced yet but as it doubles the power it's a must with HP like the 650's sans amp.
I put my Pono through a Little Dot MKIII Tube Amp and love it.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,615 of 4,866

What do you have for headphones and amps?  Curious about what sort of headphone sound and style you've gone for.  I've read lots about what you've had to say about digital, but I have no idea what you use to listen and what sort of sound style you like.

This is mostly opinion and highly subjective. 

For amps I use a Scarlett 2i2, which isn't an amp but is really quite a competent piece of equipment overall, a Headroom portable desktop amp (which I dislike because it tends to pick up AM radio), a Fiio E10K that I just recently acquired, and an ODAC/O2, again a recent addition.  I expect amps to sound the same.  If an amp has a 'sound', it's flawed for my use.

I collect headphones, mostly vintage specializing in old quad cans, but I don't listen to most of them.  They're a curiosity.  And no, none of the quad cans actually provide usable surround, just a ton of comb filtering.

My favorite sounding headphones of all time are the Koss ESP/950, but they have some serious production flaws.  The squealing and crackling discharge noises are a dealbreaker, and the lifetime warranty isn't worth anything when the replacement drivers have the same problem.  The ESP/10s didn't have the same issues and also sound pretty good, but are considerably less comfortable to wear.  I've been thiking about spiffing up some old ET-1000s to see if they might make comfy, reliable cans, but there's no carrying that driver box anywhere.  It would have to be mounted to a cart.

Until recently my daily drivers were Denon AH-D2000s, but I want something with more mids.  I have a few vintage planars I actually like quite a bit and intend to try out some LCD-X[C]s very soon (Bought some HiFIMan 5LE cans a few years ago, was really unpleasantly surprised at the poor build quality).  Before the Denons, my daily drivers were DT880s, which I liked very much overall, but were occasionally aggressively sibilant when a voice hit them just wrong.  I ran a de-esser in line with them for a little while before deciding to move on.  This was an older version, perhaps it's different now.

I like the HD800 and HD650 quite a bit, but don't currently own either.  I owned more than one pair of HD600 long ago, but the drivers kept dying so I stopped buying them.  Those were a move from HD580 (also due to a dead driver) and before that I owned Grados.  I dislike both the overly bright Grado sound and [lack of] comfort, but back then I had no money and there's no denying the SR60/80 were (are?) a great deal.

[edit: Currawong/mods, I just saw the gentle topic reminder.  Feel free to delete this if you think it's too far off topic]

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,616 of 4,866
One trick to answer an off-topic question is to put it in a spoiler tag renamed "Off topic". 
smile.gif

I might add that idea to the Posting Guidelines now I think of it.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2,617 of 4,866
 I'm waiting for delivery of the acs Encore ciem, if I can get a cable that is balanced for that, that may be it...

That sounds exciting.  I bet you're chomping at the bit for them to arrive.  From what I've read (they are smooth), they should sound good with the Pono with its flat eq.  Did you try them first, or is it an "I hope" buy?

Some iems have a much greater change with balanced than others.  My Fidues sounded entirely different (fuller) but my 846s sound only slightly better.  Impedance or sound sig or?

I did get to try them, acs has an office in Manhattan, I had actually purchased a T1 around Black Friday because it was half price, loved the mids, highs, stage, BUT bass was a bit anemic and fit in my left ear was not great (I know, I know, that can affect the bass, but it seems to be noted by others, part of the reason acs came out with the Encore supposedly). They had a universal version, sat for a long time (forgot my Pono, had to listen with my HTC One M8 to TIDAL, still knocked me out sound wise).
But, to bring it back on topic, guessing these will mate really well with the Pono, don't know when I'll get delivery (was supposeed to be end of last week, hasn't come yet, I'll have to call them tomorrow to hold it if it's not already out, going to visit my daughter who's doing semester in London Friday for about 10 d, with my Pono and undecided other gear...)

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #2,619 of 4,866
Just read the Tyll article, man, I think he really nails it. The improvements are objectively small, subjectively can be all the difference in the world. And, no, while the difference between players is objectively small (pianos don't sound like piccolos on an iPhone, say), the small improvement and the overall smoothness and rightness just make it the player I reach for 99% of the time (and I have, as previously stated, the DX90, X3, iPod Touch and iPad 3, Samsung YPP, had some others). A small objective difference, when it's the RIGHT one, can lead to a really big increase in enjoyment.
Have to go for balanced cables one of these days...just a question of deciding the headphones to get them from, too many toys, too little time (1st world problem, as they say). But, I'm waiting for delivery of the acs Encore ciem, if I can get a cable that is balanced for that, that may be it...

How's the VA Zen sound off of the pono? I'm guessing pretty good..

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #2,620 of 4,866
Well I jumped in and my Neil Young / Crazy Horse Pono is on the way. As is my Philips Fidelio X2, and NAD Viso HP50s. Can't wait to try the Pono out with those headphones as well as my Dunu Titians and JVC HA-FX850s!

Shaping up to be a good weekend!

Eric

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #2,621 of 4,866
The VA Zens sound really fine through the Pono, open, clear, tight bass, detailed, musical. Though I'm not sure I'll ever get comfortable wearing buds.

I have the Titans and 850's, you're in for a treat. The NAD has always been one I've wondered about, curious what you think (Tyll is big on then). And I have the X1, which I like (when I can get them away from my daughter), sure the X2 will do well by you. In 1 fell swoop, looks like you can retire from Head Fi (vee shell see if you Ken get avay, heh heh heh!!!!!!).

And, if course, Pono well make them all sing. (gotta stay on topic). :blush:

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #2,622 of 4,866
  Well I jumped in and my Neil Young / Crazy Horse Pono is on the way. As is my Philips Fidelio X2, and NAD Viso HP50s. Can't wait to try the Pono out with those headphones as well as my Dunu Titians and JVC HA-FX850s!

Shaping up to be a good weekend!

Eric

Congrats with that very nice limited edition! I think you'll love it (especially after burn-in).
Please post your opinion later on...

So, not much sleep for you this weekend
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,623 of 4,866
The VA Zens sound really fine through the Pono, open, clear, tight bass, detailed, musical. Though I'm not sure I'll ever get comfortable wearing buds.

I have the Titans and 850's, you're in for a treat. The NAD has always been one I've wondered about, curious what you think (Tyll is big on then). And I have the X1, which I like (when I can get them away from my daughter), sure the X2 will do well by you. In 1 fell swoop, looks like you can retire from Head Fi (vee shell see if you Ken get avay, heh heh heh!!!!!!).

And, if course, Pono well make them all sing. (gotta stay on topic). :blush:

Congrats with that very nice limited edition! I think you'll love it (especially after burn-in).
Please post your opinion later on...

So, not much sleep for you this weekend
biggrin.gif

Thanks DoctorJazz and Kerouac! I still want to try a balanced set of cans or IEMs. I also want to try the Aurisonic Rockets.But for now, I think i have plenty to keep me occupied! lol

Regards,
Eric

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,624 of 4,866
The Pono may sound a bit thin at first in the bottom, and very clear in the top. With lovely mids.  But after a good burn-in the bottom seems to fill out and the rest stays wonderful.  

Enjoy your toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back