PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #631 of 4,858
You do realize that vinyl will always have that sound that enough high end gear will try to emulate, pops and clicks be damned

Don't get me wrong - I use and enjoy both analog and digital sources. But in my quest for the ultimate audio experience I would hope that manufacturers would be trying to get me as close as possible to the live event, or at least the master tape, and not some approximation of an incredibly flawed and finicky reproduction medium.
I will say this, placing a record on the turntable, cleaning it, cleaning the stylus and gingerly placing it on the record, then sitting down to listen without the aid of a remote control to flip between songs results in a very involving experience. And yes, some records sound better than CD's - but not all. And of course with the current levels of compression used in todays digital music there is nothing natural about it at all.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #633 of 4,858
I just saw this thread and I did not read all 43 pages but I do want to say I am so pleased with the PONO for the simple reason that perhaps today's causal listener will move from MP3 to something more.  I have been afraid MP3 would be the only medium the younger generations would ever know.  So the PONO is a welcome addition to listening to real music.

The goal was to raise 800k by April 15 and they are over 15 million with 9 days to go.

To get an idea of the impression PONO has on younger music fans and why headphones will be far more popular watch the second video on this site.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #634 of 4,858
October I guess. Very late unfortunately. Otherwise I would have already ordered one directly.

I thought that was when the pono music store went online and the device came before it.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #636 of 4,858
Yeah, they said the first batch will ship in October and the second in December.
However, some have said product sold this way rarely make the deadlines posted.

Unfortunately I'm in the December group.
I just hope it gets to me before Christmas.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #637 of 4,858

You do realize that vinyl will always have that sound that enough high end gear will try to emulate, pops and clicks be damned

Don't get me wrong - I use and enjoy both analog and digital sources. But in my quest for the ultimate audio experience I would hope that manufacturers would be trying to get me as close as possible to the live event, or at least the master tape, and not some approximation of an incredibly flawed and finicky reproduction medium.
I will say this, placing a record on the turntable, cleaning it, cleaning the stylus and gingerly placing it on the record, then sitting down to listen without the aid of a remote control to flip between songs results in a very involving experience. And yes, some records sound better than CD's - but not all. And of course with the current levels of compression used in todays digital music there is nothing natural about it at all.

That's what Neil Young is claiming. "As close to the masters as you will ever get".

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #639 of 4,858
I enjoy running and listening to music.Can't wait to use my Pono along with the best IEM's I can buy. I picked up this running belt to hold the Pono Player , got it in the mail last week and using a Toblerone Bar as a test, it fits it perfectly.

Amphipod AirFlow Microstretch Belt

by Amphipod

43 customer reviews

41xZfBHHjLL._SX425_.jpg

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #641 of 4,858
I finally decided to hop on board with one. Can't wait!

Though with all my kickstarts, I always forget, and get pleasantly surprised later on, lol.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #642 of 4,858
I finally decided to hop on board with one. Can't wait!

Though with all my kickstarts, I always forget, and get pleasantly surprised later on, lol.

lucky you, most people get upset later on with their kickstarts lol

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #644 of 4,858
  If you haven't, the first way to listen to it is to go to a high end audio equipment store and listen to it on a soup to nuts high end system!

The downside of that is there's a 100% chance you'll be forced to listen to an old man (the shop owner) ramble on about some music that even if you're interested in it, will still manage to make it the worst 'conversation' you've ever had.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #645 of 4,858
I got an E-mail today saying no more Artists will be added and the ones that don't sell  will be gone when this drive is over.

In other words if they only sell 13 of an Artist the last inscription will be 13 of 13.

OH and now they're offering clear versions where you can see the guts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back