PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #649 of 4,858

The downside of that is there's a 100% chance you'll be forced to listen to an old man (the shop owner) ramble on about some music that even if you're interested in it, will still manage to make it the worst 'conversation' you've ever had.

biggrin.gif
  Quite true!!  On the flip side, it's guaranteed you'll hear the vinyl through unbelievable, pyramid shaped, 8 foot tall speakers that cost the equivalent of a third world GNP, made by an engineer geek who makes two sets a year!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #651 of 4,858
I was considering getting the Fiio X5 but some of the small issues have turned me off. I'm still not sure because what matters most is how good it sounds plus the storage capacity. I decided to email Pono and ask them if it was possible to support the new 128gb microsd cards and they told me that the player would read them. This narrows the gap in storage space. Plus I feel that the Pono player won't have the same bugs and quirks as the Fiio X5.

The only $400 pledges I am interested in is Metallica and the clear Pono but for $100 less I might just jump on the standard yellow or black. $50 cheaper than Fiio and the include a 64gb microsd card. I don't c
are too much about that shape but Fioo is sexier looking and it is at least on the market now and sounds great according to reviews.

I wish the choice was clear cut for me.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #652 of 4,858
  I was considering getting the Fiio X5 but some of the small issues have turned me off. I'm still not sure because what matters most is how good it sounds plus the storage capacity. I decided to email Pono and ask them if it was possible to support the new 128gb microsd cards and they told me that the player would read them. This narrows the gap in storage space. Plus I feel that the Pono player won't have the same bugs and quirks as the Fiio X5.

The only $400 pledges I am interested in is Metallica and the clear Pono but for $100 less I might just jump on the standard yellow or black. $50 cheaper than Fiio and the include a 64gb microsd card. I don't c
are too much about that shape but Fioo is sexier looking and it is at least on the market now and sounds great according to reviews.

Do you want to wait 5 months? Maybe that wait time helps make the decision.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #653 of 4,858
I've had the X5  for a week.  The sound is incredible, the build quality and aesthetics are excellent.  The user interface is acceptable and will only get better.

The wait time, the chocolate bar shape and more limited flexibility and UI are deal breakers for me - "Is that a Pono in your pocket, or are just glad to see me?"

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #654 of 4,858
  I was considering getting the Fiio X5 but some of the small issues have turned me off.

I don't wish to make your choice more difficult, but the just released DX90 is getting very good initial feedback. At $419 it should be quite the giant killer...

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #658 of 4,858
I really don't understand what all these manufacturers are doing with the storage issue. iPods have had 256GB capacity for many years now. Why is that still the maximum available in any player? Moore's Law would imply that we should be seeing internal-storage terabyte players for relatively cheap prices, with the real cost going into things like battery life, DACs, internal amps, displays and GUIs.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #659 of 4,858
  I really don't understand what all these manufacturers are doing with the storage issue. iPods have had 256GB capacity for many years now. Why is that still the maximum available in any player? Moore's Law would imply that we should be seeing internal-storage terabyte players for relatively cheap prices, with the real cost going into things like battery life, DACs, internal amps, displays and GUIs.

the bigger question, to me, is why smartphones are still being released with 16GB (9GB or less usable), with 32 being a premium. I'm not sure if you can even buy a 64GB phone anymore (HTC One was the last), and Samsung is the only phone in the US with MicroSD. 

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think it's significant that our onboard phone storage has completely stagnated since carriers introduced data caps, but introduced streaming services.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #660 of 4,858

As far as I know Apple only provides 160 gigs max, all the rest is after market iMods.

the bigger question, to me, is why smartphones are still being released with 16GB (9GB or less usable), with 32 being a premium. I'm not sure if you can even buy a 64GB phone anymore (HTC One was the last), and Samsung is the only phone in the US with MicroSD. 

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think it's significant that our onboard phone storage has completely stagnated since carriers introduced data caps, but introduced streaming services.

I don't think it's even a conspiracy, phone manufacturers very definitely want to steer customers towards streaming service vendors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back