PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #603 of 4,858

It's still ugly to me. Even Rio came up with better looking players back in the day.

I know its all about the sound but me for I need design to, not to show off to my friends, but for me to personally admire it and say 'man, this is one slick player in my hand'

Agreed. Plus it doesn't appear to be exactly a pocket friendly shape.  Oh well, we'll see......

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #604 of 4,858
New video "Unsuspecting Teens Try Pono."
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music/posts/799662?ref=email
One of the kids takes off her headphones and you can hear 'After the Gold Rush' playing. I would pay a decent percentage of $300 to get that album well transferred to high resolution. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #606 of 4,858
The question is would teens nowadays listen/have heard vinyls? Quite suspicious...

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #607 of 4,858
I bet they visited a vinyl club to show off the Pono.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #608 of 4,858
Maybe, but I'm with Levanter, I'm suspicious also. Still, if it really did sound like vinyl I'd have a player to kick back and enjoy for the next decade lol
Well, maybe until the Pono 2 or 3 came out

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #609 of 4,858
Holy crap, all these people commenting that it sounds like listening to vinyl. I'm so fighting myself from pulling the trigger

They must be injecting clicks and pops - or maybe just a reverse RIAA EQ circuit followed by a normal RIAA circuit. I don't think they can simulate the effect of improper VTA, cantilever/tone arm interactions, or inner groove distortion.

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #610 of 4,858

Holy crap, all these people commenting that it sounds like listening to vinyl. I'm so fighting myself from pulling the trigger

They must be injecting clicks and pops - or maybe just a reverse RIAA EQ circuit followed by a normal RIAA circuit. I don't think they can simulate the effect of improper VTA, cantilever/tone arm interactions, or inner groove distortion.

You do realize that vinyl will always have that sound that enough high end gear will try to emulate, pops and clicks be damned

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #611 of 4,858
The question is would teens nowadays listen/have heard vinyls? Quite suspicious...

Not at all suspicious - lots of new artists/indie bands release new albums on vinyl these days.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #612 of 4,858
Not at all suspicious - lots of new artists/indie bands release new albums on vinyl these days.

you're not getting what I'm saying. I meant would most teens nowadays listen to vinyl when most of them are using ipods and phones?

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #613 of 4,858
you're not getting what I'm saying. I meant would most teens nowadays listen to vinyl when most of them are using ipods and phones?

It's hard to get what you're saying if you don't say what you mean.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #614 of 4,858
It's hard to get what you're saying if you don't say what you mean.

I was clear in what I said, it seems only you didn't get what I mean lol

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #615 of 4,858
  Here we go!

So will there be 24/192 Grateful Dead releases? Seems funny given how over the years they encouraged their fans to trade tapes, record their concerts, etc. I had a copy of Europe '72 back in the day given to me on cassette, who knows how many generations removed from the original recording it was? lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back