PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 17, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #2,476 of 4,866
Haha. Pretty sure I have one if the only ref1 in Melbourne. We should catch up and form the rarest of combinations lol

I'm in Melbourne too and I have one! Been testing out at various hifi stores since i got it! LOL!

But the battery life is crap. I don't think I've gotten more than 4 hours, I only listen to FLAC and now DSF files...I'm still waitng for the PONO accessories, like headphones and a case, perhaps?

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #2,477 of 4,866
OK, so around 4 hours playtime is maybe ''normal''?
Maybe they tested it at Pono for 8 hours with mp3's@128kbps with very low volume and no screen on
tongue.gif

I've put my brightness already around 20% and try to use the screen not too much.
When I listen with my V6S, 25% volume is enough (for my 1p2 I need almost 50% volume though)
I guess (not sure) listening balanced maybe drains the battery almost twice as fast?

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,479 of 4,866

I must say my Kickstater PON sounds great. Had it since mid-December the only complaint is it's battery life is crap, and it would be nice if it had remote smarts.

I have tried it against the AK100 and the AK sounded better, but the PONO is half the price. 

DSD and FLAC both sound wonderful, and after burn-in the device sounds utterly wonderful thru my PrimaLuna Valve amp - BETTER THAN VINYL!!

+1 on SQ :D

and +1 on batterylife :frowning2:

Like I mentioned before, I prefer the sound out of the Pono over that of the DX90 & X5

Concerning batterylife: what do you mean with crap? How many hours playtime do you get out of your full charged Pono?

One of these days I will check how much it is exactly for me, but I'm sure it comes nowhere close to the advertised 8 hours. I think for me it's around 3 or 4 hours.

Is this normal or do most of you Pono owners out there get more hours out of it?

When you have the chance you should try some 24bit VINYL rips on your Pono. Yesterday I listened to Led Zeppelin I & IV vinyl rip and oh man, does that sound good!

May I ask, how are you creating the 24bit vinyl rips?

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #2,481 of 4,866
OK,

with the talk of battery life and time it takes to charge lately...today around 1:00pm I recharged my Pono when there was still about 1/4 power left.
Right now SEVEN AND A HALF hours later my Pono is only about 90% charged!
???

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,482 of 4,866
Charged mine Sunday- it was at 10% or so, gave me a low battery warning.  Gave it a bit more than three hours and it was just about fully charged.  I'm using the Pono charging block and USB cord included with my Pono.  I've never run my battery all the way down, but maybe you could try that, see if it will charge better.  I've done that with my iPhone and it helped.  Try at your own risk, as I've never done it.  

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,483 of 4,866
  +1 on SQ
biggrin.gif

and +1 on batterylife
frown.gif

Like I mentioned before, I prefer the sound out of the Pono over that of the DX90 & X5

Concerning batterylife: what do you mean with crap? How many hours playtime do you get out of your full charged Pono?
One of these days I will check how much it is exactly for me, but I'm sure it comes nowhere close to the advertised 8 hours. I think for me it's around 3 or 4 hours.
Is this normal or do most of you Pono owners out there get more hours out of it?

When you have the chance you should try some 24bit VINYL rips on your Pono. Yesterday I listened to Led Zeppelin I & IV vinyl rip and oh man, does that sound good!

I prefer the HDTracks releases of these. But maybe we're listening to different 24bit rips. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,484 of 4,866
  Charged mine Sunday- it was at 10% or so, gave me a low battery warning.  Gave it a bit more than three hours and it was just about fully charged.  I'm using the Pono charging block and USB cord included with my Pono.  I've never run my battery all the way down, but maybe you could try that, see if it will charge better.  I've done that with my iPhone and it helped.  Try at your own risk, as I've never done it.  

I already ran the Pono dry once.
I'll have to pay more attention now...cheers.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #2,485 of 4,866
  OK,

with the talk of battery life and time it takes to charge lately...today around 1:00pm I recharged my Pono when there was still about 1/4 power left.
???

I've never had it show an 100% green line for charge.  Max charge has been what appears to be about 90% of the green line.  I don't know if it's possible to get the green line 100% full.

I don't know what my typical play time is before the battery gets too low.  I don't time it or pay that close attention.  Recently I've been using it with my LCD-2 and a balanced connection.  The LCD-2 and PonoPlayer seem to pair well for my sonic preferences.  Battery life might be around the 6 hour mark with that combo.  Maybe?  But I really don't know cause I don't pay attention.  I listen to it throughout the day on and off.  When the battery gets low I plug it in.  The battery life is adequate.  I prefer better sound over battery life.  6-8 hours of battery life is worth it for this type of sound quality IMO.  It's driving my LCD-2 without the need of an external portable amp.  That's a big bonus.  No external amp means one less thing to bother with and to charge.

And it sounds great to me.  Very pleasant and enjoyable to listen to. A type of headphone sound presentation that makes me want to keep on listening. There are players that sound more aggressive and energetic, but those players don't make me want to keep on listening for album after album.  The PonoPlayer hits the spot for me for the style of music listening I like.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #2,486 of 4,866
I listen to mine for about 32 minutes (the time it takes me to walk two miles) and then for another 10 or so minutes after I get back to my house.  So about 45 minutes a day.  I charge my Pono every 7-9 days.  I'm running it balanced into my Shure 846, and I believe balanced uses a bit more power.  No files less than 16/44 and lots of 24/x and DSD.  And I agree, I've never seen the little flag on the end of the green line get all the way to the right after charging. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #2,488 of 4,866
  OK,

???

Are you charging it from the computer's USB socket or from a mains adapter?

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,489 of 4,866

OK,

???

Are you charging it from the computer's USB socket or from a mains adapter?

Of course the main adapter.

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,490 of 4,866
Somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to a Ghent Audio connector for the Pono (1/8 output to two rca's males)
Does anyone know how to find it?
I searched "Ghent" and just went through 75 pages and couldn't find it.

I'm not looking for a new link but the link posted earlier as I need to see where it took me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back