POLL: Which electrostatic amp for HE60/O2?
May 10, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hypothetical scenario:

If you had an O2 but have no amp, and you are being held at gunpoint to choose a commercially available electrostat amp, which one would you choose? Think of it like a Saw type of question, but instead of ethical dilemmas, you get to choose between amplifiers.

None of them interest me but if I had to I would get the Blue Hawaii again. The ES-1 is a good amp but it's way too expensive for what you are getting. A good transformer hooked up to a DHT SET amp is also a very nice choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a lot easier to make a good 1:1 ratio transformer than a good 1:25/18:1 ratio transformer, and that's all we need for the application. We just have to make sure it can handle all those volts. If we were planning on making it for a collective DIY project I can imagine a company like Lundahl offering group buy discounts.

We would always build the Ongaku and strap a 1:1 trafo to the back of it. We know it sounds good so it could be a stopgap until a fully balanced design is finished.

Lundahl or Tamura trafos would be very nice. I know I would use Tamura for the power transformer and interstage transformers.

Quote:

I wonder if Kondo-san would actually make a electrostat amp if you asked him? If you pull the final OPT and add some resistors for protection you're 95% of the way there.

It would be pretty hard to talk to Kondo-san because he died at the 2006 CES. I know they are pretty set in their ways but it might be worth a shot. I'm also thinking about starting an audio import company and I would definitively talk to them about being a distributor so that could increase my chances.

May 10, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We would always build the Ongaku and strap a 1:1 trafo to the back of it. We know it sounds good so it could be a stopgap until a fully balanced design is finished.

I love how you think of an Ongaku as a stopgap.
lambda.gif

Quote:

Lundahl or Tamura trafos would be very nice. I know I would use Tamura for the power transformer and interstage transformers.

Well, if it was about going for the best my pick would be Electra-print, but I think things would be better if things were kept vaguely affordable.

Getting a simple design that let people customise it with their own choice in parts would be quite nice for those of us who don't get off on the KGSS's approach. It'd be nice to see a run of silver/teflon PCBs printed to make it a DIY reality, but to do that we'd need to take a step back from the objective of complete audio perfection.

Quote:

It would be pretty hard to talk to Kondo-san because he died at the 2006 CES. I know they are pretty set in their ways but it might be worth a shot. I'm also thinking about starting an audio import company and I would definitively talk to them about being a distributor so that could increase my chances.

What, really? Why did no one inform me of this?!

CES, huh? Maybe all that bad sound was too much.

May 10, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

I love how you think of an Ongaku as a stopgap.
lambda.gif

We need a push-pull amp for push-pull transducers. No compromises!!
tongue.gif

I would love a Kondo KSL Ongaku with a fully restored pair of Quad ESL in fact that's what I will be buying.

Quote:

Well, if it was about going for the best my pick would be Electra-print, but I think things would be better if things were kept vaguely affordable.

Getting a simple design that let people customise it with their own choice in parts would be quite nice for those of us who don't get off on the KGSS's approach. It'd be nice to see a run of silver/teflon PCBs printed to make it a DIY reality, but to do that we'd need to take a step back from the objective of complete audio perfection.

Electra-Print or ISO/Tango for a cost no object assault on the high end. The Tamura's and Lundahls are just so cheap comparatively so it's a more realistic choice.

PCB's are the only way for a design like this to spread beyond just a few amps. The only real problem is that the parts cost will be near or slightly over 2k$

Here is a very good schematic of the amp with the correct values for the PSU transformer.

Quote:

What, really? Why did no one inform me of this?!

CES, huh? Maybe all that bad sound was too much.

He had been sick for a few years and had all of the arrangements so the company is in good hands. It's still sad to see the man that introduced us all to silver in audio go.

May 10, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #64 of 68
Is there any member that actually had the new Wooaudio elctrostatic amp, I do not recall to have seen any thread about it yet, and still there are like 7 members recomending it, based on what, that would be curious to know...

May 10, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCB's are the only way for a design like this to spread beyond just a few amps. The only real problem is that the parts cost will be near or slightly over 2k$

Depends how the design goes. If we throw out the objective of an all-stage-DHT amp, we could just go for a no-NFB 6EM7->Chinese 211 amp, which would cost about $230 for the 8 tubes needed. Obviously if we start flinging late-20s RCA/WE/Telefunken DHTs at it we're looking at a sharp price increase. I really think direct coupling would be a better choice, otherwise the thing is going to be dominated by the sound of the coupling cap(s). That just leaves the power supply, and to supply a direct coupled 211 amp it'd have to be [size=x-large]BIG[/size]. Avoiding having more than one B+ (and a B- if necessary) supply per channel would be wise.

Quote:

Here is a very good schematic of the amp with the correct values for the PSU transformer.

I never did like that SRPP input stage.

May 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any member that actually had the new Wooaudio elctrostatic amp, I do not recall to have seen any thread about it yet, and still there are like 7 members recomending it, based on what, that would be curious to know...

There is a thread about it in the amp section and there is even one for sale. I don't know of 7 members that have bought it but this is Head-Fi. You don't have to audition something at length to know how it sounds. You can just read about it or audition it for 5 minutes at a noisy meet.

Quote:

Depends how the design goes. If we throw out the objective of an all-stage-DHT amp, we could just go for a no-NFB 6EM7->Chinese 211 amp, which would cost about $230 for the 8 tubes needed. Obviously if we start flinging late-20s RCA/WE/Telefunken DHTs at it we're looking at a sharp price increase. I really think direct coupling would be a better choice, otherwise the thing is going to be dominated by the sound of the coupling cap(s). That just leaves the power supply, and to supply a direct coupled 211 amp it'd have to be [size=x-large]BIG[/size]. Avoiding having more than one B+ (and a B- if necessary) supply per channel would be wise.

Direct coupling is always better but good caps aren't that expensive today, like the Mundorf silver/oil. Interstage transformers are an option here also. A fully push-pull design will always be huge and four 211's are burning some 120w just for the heaters.
biggrin.gif

What I like about the Ongaku is that while it is a powerful amp it isn't that big and unwieldy. The tubes are cheap, even NOS, and you can skip the Black Gates for a cheaper amp. The trafos are the only problem but they are easy to get custom made.

Quote:

I never did like that SRPP input stage.

Kondo said that the amp by it self isn't that special but the parts create a glorious whole.

May 10, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #67 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of everything available now with no price limit? No questions asked Single Power ES1.

-Alex-

x2

Quote:

Wooo, sneaky.

I resemble that, I'm pretty good about updating my profile. I do need to try a 4070 though
evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of everything available now with no price limit? No questions asked Single Power ES1.

-Alex-

Yeah, I almost agree... and you know why I don't. Though, that ES-1 is the only amp I have driven at full bore with no loss in sound quality. IFF only it had a bit more gain... like 2x...
orphsmile.gif

Edit: Apparently my observation was with a rather low output (though excellent) source - n/m.

Still, I prefer the (for lack of a better term) grit of the BH over the ES-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back