POLL: Which electrostatic amp for HE60/O2?
May 9, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #31 of 68
*bingo*

headamp BLUE HAWAII

May 9, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 68
well, now i just need to find a used one being sold...

May 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that a 300b/211 would be a good setup or maybe some other DHT tube as a driver. It certainly isn't too nuts though it would be a beast of an amp and weigh quite a bit. Expensive but still cheaper then a well spec'd ES-1.

A 10 can drive a 300B just fine. Then again, a 10 can drive a 211 just fine as well, so why even bother with that overpriced 300B?

Quote:

Hand built silver resistors aren't cheap either. It might be slightly absurd but Kondo must be one of the biggest bargains in the high end. God knows how many man hours go into a single piece compared to most of the competition that uses off the shelf parts at a much higher price. The new Lamm amp being a perfect example.

I'm pretty sure the Ongaku used tantalum resistors rather than silver ones. Hey, now that might be a fun upgrade for the Kondo!
lambda.gif

Quote:

I've been looking at some kits now. The Sun Audio stuff has Tamura transformers and is quite cheap too.

Shame they don't make a 211 kit though.

Quote:

Same here. I need an O1 for my collection... badly.

You need another Stax the way drug addicts need another hit.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #34 of 68
FWIW: Justin of HeadAmp is currently doing a run of limited edition Blue Hawaiis. They are supposed to be the best Blue Hawaii's he'll do, pretty much maxed out in a super nice chassis (think Aristaeus). Of course, it also costs pretty maxed out.. I was told around $4000-$4500.

May 9, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 68
I dunno I threw in my vote for the Egmont. Only person I know with one is Wmcmanus... It's actually in production still. So for me it'd be between that and the Blue Hawaii which I think will be quite difficult to find used.

May 9, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 10 can drive a 300B just fine. Then again, a 10 can drive a 211 just fine as well, so why even bother with that overpriced 300B?

I know that a 2A3 would be another possibility but again they are popular and thus overpriced. A new 211 costs some 50$ each so paying 200$ for a 300b is just silly. All we need to do is draw up a schematic for an amp like this and "borrow" a good psu design.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Ongaku used tantalum resistors rather than silver ones. Hey, now that might be a fun upgrade for the Kondo!
lambda.gif

They might have used tantalum back when it was introduced but now they use their own silver units. The stepped attenuator upgrade for the M77 isn't cheap...
tongue.gif
AN UK still uses tantalums.

Quote:

Shame they don't make a 211 kit though.

Nah that would have made it too easy for us, the 211 isn't really kit material

Quote:

You need another Stax the way drug addicts need another hit.
tongue.gif

I might have a problem...
rolleyes.gif
I've made a promise to my self that when I get an O1 I'll sell the He90. Honest... I will... I promise...
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #37 of 68
wait... so justin at headamp has discontinued making his blue hawaii?
or, is this limited edition blue hawaii in addition to the standard one?

May 9, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait... so antness at headamp has discontinued making his blue hawaii?

The website is very out of date. I don't think he has made any Blue Hawaii's for a number of years but I knew about the new model coming out.

May 9, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

The website is very out of date. I don't think he has made any Blue Hawaii's for a number of years but I knew about the new model coming out.

Another example would be the KGSS DX instead of the regular KGSS. I wonder if he still makes the normal KGSS... Only way to find out is to ask him, but I'm not in the market for anything so I'll leave the asking to those who are genuinely interested.

May 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

I know that a 2A3 would be another possibility but again they are popular and thus overpriced. A new 211 costs some 50$ each so paying 200$ for a 300b is just silly. All we need to do is draw up a schematic for an amp like this and "borrow" a good psu design.

Why not borrow the schematic too? We just need a way to stack a 211 onto this and we're sorted.

1178753202800.jpg

Not sure what to replace the 24s with. 47s, maybe, they're fairly plentiful and actually sound quite lovely when pentode strapped. 50s are in current production, but they're expensive, so maybe use a 10 or a Russian 300B instead.

Quote:

They might have used tantalum back when it was introduced but now they use their own silver units. The stepped attenuator upgrade for the M77 isn't cheap...
tongue.gif
AN UK still uses tantalums.

This I didn't know. I thought Audio Consulting were the only people crazy enough to make actual silver resistors. A stepped attenuator made out of them would indeed be interesting.

Quote:

Nah that would have made it too easy for us, the 211 isn't really kit material

Well, neither is the 300B really. I guess that brings us back to the insanity aspect.

Quote:

I might have a problem...
rolleyes.gif
I've made a promise to my self that when I get an O1 I'll sell the He90. Honest... I will... I promise...
wink.gif

You're missing the HE60 and ESP950. Are you a bad enough dude to buy them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait... so justin at headamp has discontinued making his blue hawaii?

Basically, the amount of time it took him to make them made them uneconomical compared to his dynamic headphone amps, so he stopped makin them. The KGBH is not a sunday afternoon project.

May 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another example would be the KGSS DX instead of the regular KGSS. I wonder if he still makes the normal KGSS... Only way to find out is to ask him, but I'm not in the market for anything so I'll leave the asking to those who are genuinely interested.

Wasn't the KGSS DX that recently sold in the FS forum the only one Justin built?

May 9, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't the KGSS DX that recently sold in the FS forum the only one Justin built?

Last I heard he made, and still makes them on an as-requested basis. Hellishly expensive for a KGSS though.

May 9, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No idea. Was there only one built?

Anyway, here's one topless, eargasm-inducing, headphone prono:

I can't really tell what most of the parts are, but I do see dual custom stepped attenuators, Stax/BabyO/Orpheus jacks, massive torroid and massive (discontinued?) BlackGate PS caps.
very_evil_smiley.gif
It must've cost a pretty penny. (The PS caps themselves cost a few hundred already...)

May 9, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #44 of 68
Justin still makes KGSS, and you can max it out to the "DX" configuration, which consists of all-silver wiring, Blackgate caps, always-on bias supply, and additional Stax/HE90/HE60 jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back