Poll (please read my post below the poll first before voting :) thanks)- Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-50, Shure SRH440, Beyerdynamic DT770, Creative Aurvana Live headphones, SRH750dj??
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

havishpatel

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

I am a teenager who loves to listen to music. I listen to RnB, Pop, Hip hop, a little rock and a little dubstep. I use a 3rd gen ipod touch.

I am looking for some over ear heaphones that are comfortable ( I have big ears ) and sound absolutely amazing.

I would also like the headphones to be reasonably portable (but am willing to compromise here) and have good durability (I do take care of my stuff- just don't want to get a set of cans that break really easily).

There are lots of conflicting reviews on these headphones, so I have set up a poll to see what the head-fi users think is the best for my needs!

Please vote, 

Thanks, merry christmas and happy new year :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 7
I have tried the DT770s, 750DJs, and M50s.

DT770s definitely require an amp to shine.  Bass is prominent but mids were somewhat lacking.  For some reason, I didn't grow on these headphones, I felt that they were kind of harsh at the time but bass was good.  Bass accuracy is there as well as volume.  It extends deep down low.  Mids were OK.

750DJs - for about 2 weeks, I was convinced this was the headset for me.  First impressions were good, the sound was very balanced and bass was accurate and prominent.  I just was not able to deal with the comfort issue and had to take them off after a few minutes to relieve my ears.  I was not satisfied with the level of bass though for the headphones I was listening too.  I wanted something that could be fun when I wanted to be and accurate other times.  Even though graphs and tests have shown that the 750djs have more bass than the M50s, for some reason they fit on my head weird and was not able to produce the bass that I wanted.  I auditioned a pair of M50s, then went out and bought the 750djs for 2 weeks, then returned it and now bought the M50s. 

M50s are good.  Very nice balance of sound.  There is a little mid-bass hump and the bass doesn't extend as low.  It's also muddy at times but that's probably because bass is so prominent in these cans.  For my purposes (rap, hiphop, trance), these were perfect for me.  They could be nicely powered with my iPod as well.

I would also take a look at the Sony XB700 if you are interested in these types of headphones for that type of music.  They won't be as accurate, but could be more enjoyable with the more pronounced bass, which is what most of this music genre is based upon.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm 18 and listen to what you listen as well, I love my bass extension but moreso I love the slam, shake, kick, whatever you want to call it, the feel of the bass.

Havish, I would go with the Shure SRH840 out of what you have listed there, I don't own a pair but did audition them for 20 minutes or so 6 months ago.

I own a pair of Sony XB700 and also ATH-M50, as iDunnolio recommended the XB700s have a huge amount of bass, however, they have almost no slam and are bad for portability. They are too ugly and huge to be used in public imo, also the cord is very short, even to reach into my pocket sometimes.

The M50 are much more neutral compared to the XB700, being a monitor and all they were made to engineer music. Hence, they don't have emphasised bass like the XB700 but instead you get to hear everything just a bit more clearly. Sometimes this can take the enjoyment out of the music.

Finally to the SRH840, when I heard them I was running them through my iPod, at about 75% volume to Sum 41 - The Hell Song, I could really feel the kick-drum straight away, it was great. They are pretty similar to the ATH-M50 in terms of sound but with more bass and slam from what I can remember. I would chose to go with them if I was in your position.

Most importantly, this is all my opinion and experience, I do not live with the SRH840 so I would be careful to research further into them than just accepting my word. Also, I cannot emphasise enough how much better it will be if you can test out the phones you're interested in before buying, at least for 20 minutes like I did so you know what youre in for, most stores that stock what you're after will let you have a quick listen if you ask nicely. Try to hear everything you are considering, you never know what you will prefer til you listen. Everyone hears different and likes different sounds and because of this, reviews are unreliable until you have listened for yourself.

Good luck

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Guys,
 try these links:

why grammy award-winning music producers and engineers like ATH-M50:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-p/9999-02031.htm

Here is another review regarding M50-SRH840-SRH750DJ:
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

We can't jump to conclusions that reviews are unreliable. The authors of such reviews and websites would be posting such information because the research they've done. If they posted
preposterous or falsely-acclaimed information, they could end up law suit.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 7
I don't mean to say that these reviewers don't know what they are talking about, almost all of them do and are very good when you have an experience of your own to compare to...

I moreso meant that when you don't know anything about what something sounds like, reviews of it comparing it to other reviews of things you haven't heard... You get the picture, theres no substitute for hearing it yourself.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I don't mean to say that these reviewers don't know what they are talking about, almost all of them do and are very good when you have an experience of your own to compare to...

I moreso meant that when you don't know anything about what something sounds like, reviews of it comparing it to other reviews of things you haven't heard... You get the picture, theres no substitute for hearing it yourself.

Couldn't agree more, but reviews do help!

I can't find anywhere in London that will let me try these headphones, has anybody any ideas?

thanks

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 7
willhughes,

well you may have a point. but what i did. i asked the authors of each websites on how they conducted their research on reveiws. Generally, they did statistically approach the way a statistician do. they wrote and invited randomly music/sound producers and engineers to come over their test room. they said they won't post anything worthwhile or a hoax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back