Poll: Parametric EQ on Fiio X3
Sep 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #31 of 76
I'd personally appreciate some kind of bass boost like sony has in their premium walkmans (looks like boost in range up to 80-100hz). Current eq implementation affects mids which is not desired.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #32 of 76
I'd personally appreciate some kind of bass boost like sony has in their premium walkmans (looks like boost in range up to 80-100hz). Current eq implementation affects mids which is not desired.

Welcome to Headfi.
Parametric EQ will provide what you want.
If you want a boost exactly between 80-100Hz, you can boost a peak at 90Hz as center frequency and adjust gain and bandwidth factor as you like.
If you just want bass boost that doesn't go over 100Hz, then setting low shelf filter cutoff at 100Hz will work.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #33 of 76
Welcome to Headfi.
Parametric EQ will provide what you want.
If you want a boost exactly between 80-100Hz, you can boost a peak at 90Hz as center frequency and adjust gain and bandwidth factor as you like.
If you just want bass boost that doesn't go over 100Hz, then setting low shelf filter cutoff at 100Hz will work.

Yeah, the only problem it's not supported by x3:) thanks.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #36 of 76
Well, I have some experience:) Just right now I'm listening vsonic gr07 mk2 with cowon d2+ and fiio e6.
And for example gr07 very bright ears, with some hump on 6-7kHz and they are not so good with X3 without precise EQ. :frowning2:

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #37 of 76
I am on board with requesting a parametric equaliser. With Audio Technica EC707 it is practically unlistenable as it makes the ear buds very shrill. They sound wonderful out of my Note II.

Overall I am happy with my X3 as it drives my SE425, ESW9, and ES88 very well but being able to loop the EC707 onto my ears and go is pretty nice.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #40 of 76
if James is calling it a possibility then that is a win in my book. just need to be patient and keep my music collection growing.

the fuze v1 with RockBox is an amazing sounding little DAP - adding some level of parametric sound control to the x3 would just make it so that much more enjoyable, KIM I am in no way saying the x3 is not enjoyable.

James/FIIO and the future of portable music - FTW

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #41 of 76

I have X3, and yes, I would love to have parametric EQ!

Welcome to Headfi!
Way to go! Very few brand new members know about the greatness of parametric EQ (e.g., I knew nothing about it when I join 4 years ago).

Indeed, very few Head-Fi members know about EQ period . . . surprising.  But it can continue to be 'our little secret' . . .  Maybe the X-5 will have parametric EQ ??? 

Any word about X-3 yet?

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 76

Indeed, very few Head-Fi members know about EQ period . . . surprising.  But it can continue to be 'our little secret' . . .  Maybe the X-5 will have parametric EQ ??? 

Any word about X-3 yet?

Actually, a lot of them know about EQ, they just refuse to use it because it is not "audiophile". I am a believer in EQ, if used carefully.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 76
I wholeheartedly agree that it would be a great thing to have Eq flexibility in X-3 & X-5

The ONLY reason I do not already own X-3 is because  the lack of EQ option. A simple bass or treble adjustment is far less useful for me.
Currently much of the shaping I need are between 250 hz and 6 kz ( for mids & sibilance control)
When a clean useful eq is added I'll buy - period

My listening experience is dramatically enhanced because of Audioforge labs eq app  when I listen on my Ipod touch.

I've used great equalizers and bad ones. The good ones are simply ones you don't hear.
 My opinion? Keep it simple but flexible - full frequency control- maybe a gain setting, store favorites (if possible without audibly deteriorating SQ)
You don't even need gain once you understand proper use of eq.
No limiters or effects and make it completely by-passable. 

As far as equalizing being non audiophile - Where is that written?

It's laughable to think that equalization is not used along the process of getting music to yer ears.
The finest audio monitors in the world have eq settings built in so as to accommodate the listening environment, personal preferences.
 What happens when everything doesn't match perfectly?
Yer stuck with piercing treble in a particular track or not enough vocals, or yer aching for a touch more bottom bass without to much bleed  -  Oh but hey I'm an audiophile and I must suffer through it?

Perhaps if one only listened to a single type of music by the same producer mixed on the same equipment with near identical performances it might make sense that no eq would be desirable during playback once you had the perfect monitors for that situation.

There are lots of times I choose NO EQ but man do I like having that choice!
I'd much rather enjoy music the way I want to hear it then to know I have some super duper hyper jet that presents glaring problems in a recording that would be EASILY remedied with a tool such as an equalizer. 

I certainly trust James to fuss over an implementation that would keep right in line with his already excellent standards.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #44 of 76
  I wholeheartedly agree that it would be a great thing to have Eq flexibility in X-3 & X-5

The ONLY reason I do not already own X-3 is because  the lack of EQ option. A simple bass or treble adjustment is far less useful for me.
Currently much of the shaping I need are between 250 hz and 6 kz ( for mids & sibilance control)
When a clean useful eq is added I'll buy - period

My listening experience is dramatically enhanced because of Audioforge labs eq app  when I listen on my Ipod touch.

+1 on all points.  My portable sources are either a Rockboxed iPod or an iDevice with Audioforge Labs' EQ app.  Both have parametric EQ with 7 bands (AudioForge) or 10 bands (Rockbox). I am not moving to any other portable source unless it has parametric EQ OR I find a perfect headphone that is close enough to my ideal frequency target to not need EQ.

By the way, if you need the math, Robert Bristow-Johnson is da man.  This open source reference shows you how to do it.  I've computed my own curves off of this math, and it checks with the graph the AudioForge EQ app produces.  Sonically, it matches what I hear from Rockbox, too.  

http://www.musicdsp.org/files/Audio-EQ-Cookbook.txt  

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #45 of 76

It's laughable to think that equalization is not used along the process of getting music to yer ears.
The finest audio monitors in the world have eq settings built in so as to accommodate the listening environment, personal preferences.
 What happens when everything doesn't match perfectly?
Yer stuck with piercing treble in a particular track or not enough vocals, or yer aching for a touch more bottom bass without to much bleed  -  Oh but hey I'm an audiophile and I must suffer through it?

Perhaps if one only listened to a single type of music by the same producer mixed on the same equipment with near identical performances it might make sense that no eq would be desirable during playback once you had the perfect monitors for that situation.

There are lots of times I choose NO EQ but man do I like having that choice!
I'd much rather enjoy music the way I want to hear it then to know I have some super duper hyper jet that presents glaring problems in a recording that would be EASILY remedied with a tool such as an equalizer. 

I certainly trust James to fuss over an implementation that would keep right in line with his already excellent standards.

My opinion exactly. For most of my acoustic music my X3 is perfect, but for some of my electronic and experimental rock I wouldn't mind a little EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back