Poll - New Headphones VS New Speakers

What should I upgrade?

• Total voters
Jan 6, 2023 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DelayedEnd

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So I have been thinking for a while that I would like something new.
Now, I am trying to decide what I want to do.

My current thoughts are either, buy a new pair of headphones (Probably HiFiMAN HE1000 V1),
or finally, properly get into the speaker space.

Currently have HiFiMAN XS + Cayin iHA-6 + TEAC UD-501. For speakers, I currently have Edifier R1700BT.

Your vote is greatly appreciated and any comments are welcome.

Thank you!

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Here is my take on this question

If you live in an area where you won't bother your neighbors turning-up the volume get a good pair of speakers. I prefer having your body act as a big transducer absorbing the sound which also gets transmitted to your ear as well as the sensation of feeling the bass through your body. But that requires having an amp with enough power to drive the speakers. It's also good if you have a home theater system to take advantage of the system you have. Keep in mind that a large amp requires more space and wiring, but you can do a lot more with it.

If you're like me and live in an area with lots of neighbors close by, powerful speakers really are not an option. I can't play music loud or I'll piss-off everyone around me and I don't want to hear their systems as well. I have a full Yamaha stack and a set of Bose 701's that have been in storage for over 20 years since I moved to LA. Thankfully everyone else around me realizes this as well and it very rare to hear a loud stereo playing here.

In this case I opted to take the headphone/amp route. There are advantages headphones have over loudspeakers where you get optimal stereo separation, better sound definition and the acoustics of the room doesn't play a role. Also, the equipment doesn't take up as much room and there is a lot less wiring. I have a Burson Playmate 2 with rolled op amps and Arya's which I'm setting up with my new computer rig and is integral with the DAC for an "all in one" system.

Hope this helps
beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 4
This is a hard one, if you are able to listen in a room with some good acoustic treatment. Then nothing beat speakers. In most situations that's a hard one to achieve, then I do prefer headphones. Also you often get much more in headphone sound than what you get in speakers for the same amount of money.

Did go deep into speakers 10 years ago, but it costed to much always wanting more. Stepped back and sold off the stuff and moved to headphones more. Settled on some good cheap bookshelf speakers on stands with a subwoofer to assist with the lowest range.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, everyone for your replies.

I'm sort of learning towards upgrading my headphones. (XS -> HE1K V1) This is because if the speakers do end up needing adjustment, there's very limited space to move around the speakers or the furniture. Also, the walls in my apartment are pretty thin. I think I would get more use out of the headphones than I would speakers.

With this said, in the future, if I do get a different apartment, or buy a house that would work for speakers, they're definitely something that I would get.

Ultimately, I want new speakers, but with my current situation, I think that headphones might make more sense.

Thanks again!

P.S. If you see any HiFiMAN HE-1000 V1 for sale, please send me a message! (V1 only)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back