POLL: If you could have only one - Denon AH-D5000, Sen HD650, or AKG K701
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #31 of 105
I haven't heard the Denons, but I prefer the K701s by a country mile over the HD650s.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 105
Don't know about the Denons, but i own both the 701 and the 650.
And i have to say you likely wouldn't be disappointed with either. They both sound amazing.
The 650 is obviously more bassy, and the 701 more neutral and has slightly better resolution of details. But they're rather close imho.

What wins me over for the K701's are their much higher build quality.
Now i know, i AM a bit rough with my headphones, i use them alot and don't have the patience to baby them, but the Senns are busted after a year of usage, broken headband, no sound in one channel, obvious signs of wear and tear...
Sennheiser Nordic didn't offer to replace anything, but pointed me to a dealer where i could buy replacement parts. That would have cost me about half of what a new set of 701's would set me back, so i got that instead and i love them.
After a year, you can't even see a scratch on the 701's.

So if you care about build quality, the 701 is an obvious choice.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #33 of 105
I wouldn't want any of those heapdhones (no offense intended, i'm just not a fan of said headphones).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #34 of 105
The HD650 without a doubt. Out of the three, it is the most comfortable and has the most neutral response by far. Of course, you may not be into neutrality...

I can't believe the AH-D5000s are getting so many votes. I thought they were quite mediocre, with bloated (one-note) closed headphone bass and sharp treble.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #35 of 105
D5000>HD650>>>K701

I've had the D5000 for a year. Had the K701 for eleven months (then sold it). Just got the HD650, two weeks ago.

I'm very impressed by this "new version" HD650, very. (Never heard the old version, but if it's anything like what so many people said it was (veiled etc.), then there must really be a new version -- as mine are very detailed, airy etc.) Their soundstaging is a little bit better, a little wider than the Denon's -- a little. And the whole presentation is a little less forward, just right for me. It's very refined in the highs, very neutral-sounding down to about 50 Hz (subjectively). These phones are marvelous!

But the D5000 still has the edge with me. It gives you a very strong (very "flat-sounding") 30 Hz. (This has been measured and discussed extensively at Head-Fi.) And it's quite a bit more comfortable than the HD650 (which are not uncomfortable). (As far as looks, it's a massacre, of course -- if that matters (why not?).

So, I have the D5000 closely followed by the HD650 -- closely, but it still a very definite preference.

The K701 are supremely comfortable. But I couldn't live with that shallow soundstage and anemic bass.

Hope that helps.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #36 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a new reference set of headphones and I'm curious who out there prefers which. The choices, if you could purchase only one, Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701. Let's hear it!

UPDATE: Sorry for this, I forgot to add Grado SR325s.

I guess it comes down to whether or not neutrality and accuracy are less important than tailoring the sound to fit your prejudices. Of your four choices, only one offers the former attibutes, the others all make music sound pretty (in different ways) but not real.

But in truth, the only opinion that matters is yours. I'm not going to be listening to your headphones - you are. So what I think is irrelevant. Liten to each and keep the ones you like best. It's as simple as that.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #37 of 105
Dark you might want to look at RS-2's over the 325's
smily_headphones1.gif
I have had no experience with any of those other phones, but the Denon's are definately next on my list. Maybe a christmas present for myself!

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #38 of 105
More to add, my markl modded denon d2000's bass destroys the hd650's + equinox cable. If anybody wants to test out my statement, download "Plastikman - Rekall". Adjust the equalizer to make it more bass heavy and then listen to the whole song. The hd650's vibrate like a madman on top of the head and nothing is audible, while the denon has this nice deep bass that you seem find in a nice set of home speakers.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #39 of 105
I haven't heard any of them.. but as I am getting the D5000 this week and I don't like the sound of Sennheiser (Although I don't know about the 650's), I'll vote Denon D5000. And from what I've read about Denon D5000 vs Sennheiser 650 I prefer the D5000's. Also Denon D5000 will be a better match for my amp.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 105
I voted for the HD650 but I think it's a close call as there are a lot of good things to say about each of them.

While I own all 3 of them, I'm still not in the best position to judge.

Because I also own a bunch of other headphones, I've never really given any of these headphones a real run for their money through all sorts of different types of music, and with different source and amp combinations. In other words, I haven't "lived" with them to the extent that others have, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #41 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't believe the AH-D5000s are getting so many votes. I thought they were quite mediocre, with bloated (one-note) closed headphone bass and sharp treble.

How many hours did they have?

Denon's open up and tighten up at/around 200 hours.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #42 of 105
I don't know, but they most likely had a lot of time on them.

In any case, I am not a believer in burn-in, so that is a moot point.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #43 of 105
Quote:

In any case, I am not a believer in burn-in, so that is a moot point.

It doesn't matter if you believe in it. They change their sound around 200 hours. In the proper system, these are arguably the best "all a rounder" headphones on the market today.

Where you listening to them through a tube amp by any chance?

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #44 of 105
Well, if you can prove that, I will believe it. Otherwise, no. Your word (or anyone else's) alone isn't evidence enough. Besides, even if there is some kind of burn-in effect, it wouldn't be enough to drastically change their perceived frequency response. If you measured it before and after, I'm sure it would be virtually identical.

I listened to them through several different kinds of amps, both tube amps and solid state amps.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #45 of 105
Quote:

Well, if you can prove that, I will believe it. Otherwise, no. Your word (or anyone else's) alone isn't evidence enough. Besides, even if there is some kind of burn-in effect, it wouldn't be enough to drastically change their perceived frequency response. If you measured it before and after, I'm sure it would be virtually identical.

I listened to them through several different kinds of amps, both tube amps and solid state amps.

I wasn't a believer, until the sound changed around 150 hours. The bass tightened up a little bit, and the brightness mellowed out a little more. I had was going to "try" and see what happens, and to my surprise, there was a change.

I'm not trying to convince you, because obviously you're not open enough to just "try", which I respect. So I will leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back