POLL: If you could have only one - Denon AH-D5000, Sen HD650, or AKG K701
Aug 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #61 of 105
I've had all 3 before, and the 2 I kept were the D5000 and the HD650 and if I only get to choose one, it would be the HD650.

The D5000 is just incredibly clear in its sound. If absolute tightness was what you wanted, it would trump the HD650 pretty badly.

However, the HD650's way of presenting music is much more "musical" in my ears....it carries much more emotion in the presentation that I really can't say enough to do it justice.

The AKG701 is much more like the D5000 than the HD650, and imo, it does nothing that the D5000 doesn't do much much better.

It is rather annoying having 2 setups for the the 2 phones, but oh well.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #62 of 105
HD650 because:

1. It sounds good with most music
2. You can easily find an amp that let it shine
3. Easy to try different cables - this is the fun part
4. Scale up nicely if you upgrade your components upstream
5. Robust construction and needs little care
6. Spare ear pads are easier to get.
7. Easily converted to balanced if you so wish

F. Lo

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senns do everything well, except sound alive. The 600 and 650 both suffer from this and although they are great headphones, that unsatisfied feeling I'm left with makes the D5000s a better option. The K701s are great too but a bit sterile.

I am all for alive (
tongue.gif
)

This thread is of great interest to me as my next headphone purchase will most likely see me retire from this site for a few years (I will have £30k of student loans to pay off ppl!)

Problem is I don't know where I could demo the Denon's. 650 yes (albeit in-store not burned-in)

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #64 of 105
Quote:

The Senns do everything well, except sound alive. The 600 and 650 both suffer from this and although they are great headphones, that unsatisfied feeling I'm left with makes the D5000s a better option. The K701s are great too but a bit sterile.

Senns are most lifelike and transparent sounding cans.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Choice between the D5000 and HD650 is a little bit trickier. I still prefer the Senn for its warm sounding, build like a tank (darn, I scare scrathing the polishing wooden earcups of Denons :-S) and easily recable options.

Built like a tank?
Did you not read this thread?
The HD650, from my experience, has terrible build quality, after about a year mine are totally broken, headband snapped at one of the cups when i fell asleep with them on, no sound in one channel because of the weak cable, plus they scratch/dent so easily.

The K701 is the one built like a tank. It's finishing is amazing, can't even find the tiniest scratch on it after being (ab)used daily for more than a year.

Plus the K701 simply sounds better imho, it's bass is "just right", and there's no veil.

Never tried the Denon's, but they're twice the price of the K701's here, so they're pretty much out of the question for me. Even if they did sound better, which they probably don't.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #66 of 105
I have not heard the D5000's, but I actually trialed the D2000's for almost a month and sent them back for the K701's. I know they are different than the 5000's, so I can't speak to them.

In my setup, the HD-650's are far and away my favorite. They just do everything well, and are great with pretty much any type of music. I continually find myself reaching for them again and again.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Built like a tank?
Did you not read this thread?
The HD650, from my experience, has terrible build quality, after about a year mine are totally broken, headband snapped at one of the cups when i fell asleep with them on, no sound in one channel because of the weak cable, plus they scratch/dent so easily.

I had my HD650s for two years and the only damage on the entire unit was some small paint flaking on the headband. You must've treated yours like crap.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senns are most lifelike and transparent sounding cans.

I agree but only their HE-90 model in the right set up. There are far more transparent cans out there than the 600/650. The K701 and Denon D5000 being a couple of them.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my HD650s for two years and the only damage on the entire unit was some small paint flaking on the headband. You must've treated yours like crap.

Yeah i have the paint flaking off as well.
I don't baby my headphones. At this price point, i expect them to withstand daily use. And i certainly expect them to endure me falling asleep with them on.

Not that it was intentional though, sometimes you just pass out
smile.gif

The cable breaking is quite common, from what I've been reading here.

Bottom line is, the AKG's have withstood the same use, for the same time, and could pass for a new set.

Just wanted to throw that in there, sounds like people want headphones that are durable.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #71 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I tried to explain, but without an open mind, they will never change.

I wasn't a believer until I ACTUALLY heard the difference. But I have a open mind..

Um, it has nothing to do with open-mindedness. You believe because, just like you said, you heard the difference. he has not heard any difference. .

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

The K701 and Denon D5000 being a couple of them.

I guess it all depends on your ears and expectations then, because to me both the K701 and D5000 are strongly colored, especially the D5000. Surely, headphones that deviate so far from neutrality can't be considered transparent.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #73 of 105
I don't have much experience with the different cans, but I do own the HD650s and even just using my horrid Yamaha amp, streaming music to my PS3 from my mid-grade, beat up computer to play these babies, every single genre of music sounds great. Bass is tight, highs are nice and detailed and they do get ridiculously loud while keeping their details and impact intact with no distorting. I'm sure all great headphones do this, but they do reveal the little inadequacies in your sources though pretty readily. They have no shame in showing you how horrible a poorly ripped MP3 can sound. Again, I haven't listened to any other headphones in the same price range, so don't take what I say too seriously.
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it all depends on your ears and expectations then, because to me both the K701 and D5000 are strongly colored, especially the D5000. Surely, headphones that deviate so far from neutrality can't be considered transparent.

While I agree that the D5000 aren't neutral and have some colorations, being one of them a pumped up bass even modded, I disagree about their transparence.
Would you say a green glass isn't transparent? In the same way, some audio components despite their colorations, manage to fully transmit small information in the recording and changes in the upstream components.

Rgrds

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #75 of 105
When I think of transparency in the context of headphones or speakers, I think of something that has the least amount of perceived coloration. Heavily bassy or bright headphones aren't transparent, they are translucent, like seeing the music through frosted glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back