Poll: IEM under $20
Dec 17, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #16 of 22
I'd suggest the PL-30s, but I don't have much to compare them to .. I had some "$70" Sony IEMs from a few years ago (don't know the model, my brother bought it on impulse for his ex some time ago.  Key word: ex) and the PL-30s were slightly better than them in most respects.  The Sony's had "more" bass, but not necessarily better, I felt.  Also the PL-30s come with a ton of accessories - nice case, tons of tips, those over-the-ear clips (optional and I don't fancy them, but at least the option is there).

The only thing I don't really like is the lack of isolation - but again, I don't have much to compare it to.  The isolation is quite good, but seems lacking.  I'm reluctant to try a new pair because I somehow doubt other IEMs could isolate that much more.

If there's a decently priced pair of IEMs ($60 or lower) that offer:
Better SQ
Better isolation
Similar/better comfort

than the PL-30s .. I'd be all over them.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 22
Microphonics on the M9 are not that bad -- the wire is very sturdy (and looks cool).  M9 sounds tons better than the V-moda (V-muddy, IMO).  Never heard the J-labs.

Also the cust. svc at MEElec is outstanding -- if you have ANY problem they will completely take care you of you.

Get their Operation Gratitude edition of the M9: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_M9_Hi_Fi_Sound_Isolating_Earphone_p/earphone-m9-mee-og.htm  

You get a great sounding M9, and so does a soldier overseas!  Both for $20.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #21 of 22
I own the m9's, m6's, and the re0's. I did a little mod to my m9's that made the sound signature like the re0's. I took them apart, took the drivers out and took of the black styrofoam ring that was covering about 35% of the holes, then i carefully widened the holes. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 22
ME9 is a very good sounding iem. It actually has outside the head sound stage. Crazy for such a price. I had two die on me by static electricution. Just fyi. They were not grounded apparently. Either that or I am HIGH VOLTAGE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back