Poll: full size headphones vs iems?
Feb 1, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 31
I think you can't compare.
IEMs have better isolation, portability, you can wear then all day without noticing, they hardly fall off, are more easily driven (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).
Full-sized have better soundstage, usually a slightly better quality-price ratio.

I just think it's oranges and apples.

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 31
there is no comparison for me, i can't wear iems without my ears getting infected pretty quickly. so it's full-size cans all the way by necessity!

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 31
For those of you out there that think IEM's cannot compare to full sized, try out the SM3. For the price ($300 used) I doubt anything can touch it. This sounds ON PAR with my old HD650 and Asgard. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 31
It's not so much the sound that bothers me. The comfort of sticking something into my ears is lacking. I'm sure customs fix this problem, but sadly I don't have the money to buy those. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
IEMs have better isolation, portability, you can wear then all day without noticing, they hardly fall off, are more easily driven (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).
Full-sized have better soundstage, usually a slightly better quality-price ratio.

IEM is generally easy to push, especially when it is Audio Technica, they made protable device sounds better
got a chance to visit Audio Technica Taipei Exhibit Center and just tried every single thing they have out there.
you can even just plug them straight into a computer if you like, won't hurt that much.
but easy to driven as all IEMs... I disagree, simply by looking at my IE8.( and some other IEM s so expensive I don't even wanna know) This thing needs an amp, and a good one.

Full-Size is always good for the $$, but having better DAC "and" Amp is what gets you into that situation, especially some brands like
AXG, GradX. if you just plug these straight into Realtek piece of (of course I mean chip, no swearing in Head-Fi), all you hear is your headphone's cry for a better DAC

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 31
I prefer full sized over IEMs in general.  I find them to be more comfortable and I am less worried about losing them or breaking them.

Though I personally use both when it comes to commuting.  I use IEMs on trips and during commutes except for the winter.  When it's the winter I much rather use one of my full sized cans.  They double as ear muffs 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
I prefer full sized over IEMs in general.  I find them to be more comfortable and I am less worried about losing them or breaking them.

Though I personally use both when it comes to commuting.  I use IEMs on trips and during commutes except for the winter.  When it's the winter I much rather use one of my full sized cans.  They double as ear muffs 
biggrin.gif

ya they do make good ear muffs in the winter. but its always nice to get a more comfortable pair of full sized headphones. only problem. the more comfortable ones are usually more expensive. or they are like bose and are all comfort no quality.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 31
i liked IEM's better until i heard my first open headphone. since then, i definitely prefer full size open headphones.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
 ​
In the Shower: My own voice​

lol

Personally, i dont like anything that goes inside my ear, thats why i use Full size hp's. Mainly. 

Iem's...rarely. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 31
I haven't heard an IEM that can keep up with the sound quality and overall presentation of full sized over-ear headphones

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #28 of 31
as mentioned, it's alot about where you're using your headphones.  i think most agree that iem's at best aim to compete with comparable full sized.  a great iem makes you not notice you're not using a full sized in terms of sound.  but iem's have portability and isolation that full sized can't replicate.  and while i have similarly priced iem's and full sized, if i could listen to one for sound, it would be my full sized, but because i do much of my listening on my commute, my full sized get drowned out during parts of my commute, whereas my iem's keep rolling.  my etymotic's are comfortable so that's not much of an issue either.  but my full sized fischer audio's have a much bigger soundstage and more complete sound.  i just wish i could use them more.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #29 of 31
I find some iems compete very well against full size of the same cost. Re-zeros for example sound excellent for 100$ and westone um1s sound like a slightly modded grado Sr80. I am mainly a full size guy but I would miss my iems

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

The OP only asked about sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back