POLL: Best Portable iPod Amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico. The dac sounds better than the benchmark dac1 in single ended mode. Now you have an actual source too.

Which achieves?

The DAC is useless with iPod. I don't think many portable device would act as a transport alone. I hope that nice DAC migrates to a desktop chassis.
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 76
The dac is usb only, but what it does is let you use it as an amp for your ipod, and when you're near a computer, use it as a dac/amp for your computer. As a bonus, it sounds spectacular when used this way.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadAmp Pico gets my vote hands down.

X2

Owned the Hornet for about a year, but the Pico wins my vote with great ease because it sounds better, smaller size and drives high impedance headphones exceedingly well. The Pico has more transparency, better balance, greater extension, texture, focus, control, enough warmth plus the Pico is much smaller than the Hornet. So the Pico is clearly the best portable amp around. Can't forget the Pico has a DAC option and the DAC is also incredible.

Another Pico vote here.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #34 of 76
Just been reading about that Pico and it looks very interesting indeed.

I know this is probably an impossible question, but how does it compare to the "performance version" of the Mini^3?

I need a DAC to complement the Mini, and the Pico looks like it'd be perfect. Except I'd have to do away with the Mini^3 that I just bought when I haven't even had chance to listen to yet.
plainface.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #35 of 76
tomahawk or PICO seems to be the best choices here... i personally think everything else is too big. (excluding supermicro)

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 76
i love how people say the pico is the best yet no one actually lives with one on a day to day basis..

"but i tried one at a meet"...and i talked to a girl at the front desk but it does not mean i am calling her future wife material by any means...

note to self: listen a pico and get to know the girl at the front desk..

but until then how can you call either the best?

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love how people say the pico is the best yet no one actually lives with one on a day to day basis..

"but i tried one at a meet"...and i talked to a girl at the front desk but it does not mean i am calling her future wife material by any means...

X2

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

I'd love to know the girl at the front desk first.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

coming from one that hasn't even heard the Pico and no doubt has never given the same reservation, which applies to all even the amp maker one loves best.
wink.gif

i've heard every thing polled except the xin and move and stand behind my Pico vote.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

When you see a hot girl at the front desk, I can bet that you not asking yourself: “how good she can cook?" Isn't more enjoyable just to spend the night with her without even knowing her name?
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #41 of 76
I realize my list is not comparing comparing apples to apples.

I put the Pico on the list because I was under the impression that a fair number of people had listened to it. I assumed it couldn't really achieve many votes, since I assumed the number of people who had listened to it wasn't a high number. But, I sort of figured that a number of people might vote for it based on reviews they had read where somebody else said the Pico (or Xin reference) was better than amps X, Y or Z.
Hopefully, if people are voting for an amp they have not listened to, they REALLY trust the reviews they have read and the people who made the reviews.

I strongly considered putting the Tomahawk and the SuperMicro on the list.

I probably should have....???

..... I tried, but I can't figure out how to add to the poll.

For anyone who feels the Tomahawk or SuperMicro is the best, jost post your vote and preferrably reasons why.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you see a hot girl at the front desk, I can bet that you not asking yourself: “how good she can cook?" Isn't more enjoyable just to spend the night with her without even knowing her name?
wink.gif

Depends on how drunk you are???

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 76
Ray's Hornet! Hands down!

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #44 of 76
By the way, just for reference, I didn't vote for anything because I've not heard any of the amps listed.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, just for reference, I didn't vote for anything because I've not heard any of the amps listed.

Elnero,

I consider that a very reasonable and fair - lack of response.

But, for fun, do you feel you have listened to, own or know of a portable amp that might be a great portable amp? Do you have reason to believe it is as good as any of the listed amps? If so, what amp and why do you think it might compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back