POLL: Best Portable iPod Amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 76
while my first choice for portability would've been Ray's Tomahawk, for SQ, size and battery life, chose his Hornet as the next best thing, and this for several reasons:

1) His delivery is quick
2) Follow up is impeccable
3) Maintenance--as in if you need repair, turnaround is amazingly quick--is likewise stellar
4) Simple to use, gain switch and insane battery life.

The above is also applicable to the Hornet

Know nothing about several other choices, but what happens when your Xin malfunctions?? Send it back and wait how many months??

Also have heard similar wait periods for some other amps.

So voted for Ray for portability, service and accessibility

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #17 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experiences, I would suggest not getting the PRII. The thing is enormous compared to an iPod.
I'd probably suggest the Hornet based on build quality, versitality, and customer service. It's a nice amp for a wide variety of headphones (IEM's to high impedence full size cans)...it's a good all-arounder.

ADD: To be honest with you, the only way to find out which amp is for you, is to buy them all and try them out. I know it's expensive, but atleast you'll know.

I appreciate the comment about the PRII. I have read good reviews about the SQ including from Skylab's review, but I was concerned about the size.
I think I mentioned that in the beginning. I don't think the amp should be larger than the iPod. I am trying to keep the whole balance in perspective.
I was also concerned about the price of the PRII! It may be a little better, but it costs a lot more.

I find it humorous that the Lisa III is called Portable!..... So, backpack or strap that puppy to your arm?

I guess I define portable differently than some (????).

I wish I could afford to buy a bunch of amps, but that is not an option. I have considered that over time I might be able to try a few and sell whatever is not my favorite. I have bought, collected and sold various other things. But, it is VERY time consuming and more losses will likely be accrued with electronics than my other collections.
wink.gif

I am tring to "SAVE" my wallet!
wink.gif

I realize this is a hobby of passion for everybody who bothers to come here. I could let myself get deep into it as well. But, for financial reasons, I am trying to not let myself get too deep into it and yet I am already shelling out WAY more money than I was prepared to.

I thought I was going to research for some replacement earphones for my iPod. I figured $50 - $60 ought to get some nice earphones. I just paid nearly $300 for Shures, I picked up a set of K701's and I am researching for a portable amp, desk amp, DAC, other headphones, power supplies..........
blink.gif
blink.gif

This is DANGEROUS!!!!!

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while my first choice for portability would've been Ray's Tomahawk, for SQ, size and battery life, chose his Hornet as the next best thing, and this for several reasons:

1) His delivery is quick
2) Follow up is impeccable
3) Maintenance--as in if you need repair, turnaround is amazingly quick--is likewise stellar
4) Simple to use, gain switch and insane battery life.

The above is also applicable to the Hornet

Know nothing about several other choices, but what happens when your Xin malfunctions?? Send it back and wait how many months??

Also have heard similar wait periods for some other amps.

So voted for Ray for portability, service and accessibility

Concerns about the business model and wait times have bothered me about XIN. Apparently, XIN does amps as a side-job/hobby. Great I guess. If kept in perspective, we shouldn't expect top notch business service from a hobbiest. But, as a consumer, I still want a product that I can first actually get, then not have to wait 1-9 months or more for any service issues.
One thing does seem constant. In spite of the scarry fact that he doesn't return emails and you never know if it is going to be 1-9 months for something to show up, everybody at least appears to get their stuff... I guess that is something (????).

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadAmp Pico gets my vote hands down.

Have you heard the Pico?

Can you provide detailed info/descriptions/comparisons?

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the Pico?

Can you provide detailed info/descriptions/comparisons?

Yes I had a chance to audition Pico at a meet. My regular set up can be found in my sig. I copied a few songs of my own on Justin's Mac to see how it is with music that I actually know. I used my own headphones as well.
I was literally blown away by Pico. I have heard Ray's stuff many times in different settings, different set ups, but it never really blown me away like Pico did. I got the same feeling from Pico as I did when I listened to the AT L3000 for the first time...
Justin (HeadAmp) is a perfectionist. Every single amp he ships out is PERFECT. Sometimes that causes delays, but I have yet to see someone being disappointed after arrival of their amp.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 76
Sep 26, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 76
In the price/performance category the mini3 - unbeatable!
That is one of the reasons why so many portable amps in the FS forum lately, including the Hornet!

But if you willing to pay the tag, the Pico combo get my vote!
And Yes, I heard that little beast as an amp/dac combo!
As for the amp alone with the ipod, we will see how it can stand against mini3 on the next DC meet.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 76
i'm not so sure that the list is complete or fair. first -- the pico is not available, so there is no way to objectively evaluate it's sound. also, the tomahawk is missing -- it should be there for it's size alone, not to mention sound. third, we would need to have a common baseline in terms of the criteria for selecting an amp.

the sr-71 is arguably the best sounding of the group, but it definitely is difficult to compare even with a tomahawk -- the reasons to buy one or the other would depend on your individual values and needs.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 76
Other -> RSA Tomahawk for me.
Cause the 400 hour battery time, combined with good sound/build quality make up a perfect portable amplifier for my needs.

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #26 of 76
Tomahawk for me also. Its small, sounds great & the battery life is just insane.
Although it is one of the smallest amps you'll get its still a bit of a pocketful when strapped to your ipod.
Thats why i've ordered a supermicro :)

Sep 26, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other -> RSA Tomahawk for me.
Cause the 400 hour battery time, combined with good sound/build quality make up a perfect portable amplifier for my needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuwidol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tomahawk for me also. Its small, sounds great & the battery life is just insane.
Although it is one of the smallest amps you'll get its still a bit of a pocketful when strapped to your ipod.
Thats why i've ordered a supermicro :)

x3.

I don't use high impedance cans for portable, and found the Tomahawk my best, so far, until Ray outdone himself again.
wink.gif

The SuperMicro SQ is nice, too. However, it was dropped from my list when it deals head-on with 400 hours battery life and the bomb-proof chassis of the Tomahawk.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SuperMicro SQ is nice, too. However, it was dropped from my list when it deals head-on with 400 hours battery life and the bomb-proof chassis of the Tomahawk.

You could literally take a TH and destroy a SMIV with it!

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #29 of 76
Pico. The dac sounds better than the benchmark dac1 in single ended mode. Now you have an actual source too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could literally take a TH and destroy a SMIV with it!

Which achieves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back