POLL: Best Portable iPod Amp
Sep 26, 2007 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

DDW

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think is or will be the best portable iPod Amp.

* I don't consider the Lisa III very portable.
The LaRocco PRII is borderline - and Expensive!
Ideally, I prefer a "portable" amp not be much larger than a Video Ipod.

Reasons for choice would be great to hear!

Options are:

1.LaRocco Audio PRII
2.Xin Reference
3.Meier Audio MOVE
4.RSA SR71
5.RSA The Hornet “M”
6.HeadAmp - Pico

*** Feel free to suggest if you feel something is a better portable amp than one of the above listed. Please explain why.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 76
why isn't there MINI3 on that list?
plainface.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 76
For both sq and especially portabillity I find the Xin SuperMicro to be almost unbeatable, so much so that I've sold my Xin Reference even though in pure sq it is better than the SuperMicro.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why isn't there MINI3 on that list?
plainface.gif

I figured I would get some a lot of people wanting some other amp on the list.

I tried to narrow the list down to a somewhat reasonable number.
I also tried to narrow the list to what "Seemed" and or appeared to be getting consistent praise - even if some of it may be hypothetical based on prototypes that may or may not be final versions (XIN for example).

I am also curious about the Diablo, but never saw the price and don't know much about a release date. But, amps designed by LaRocco seem to be getting at least if not more praise than those from XIN or Ray.
Any further info would be great. If the amp is around $250 - $400, I may consider adding it to my list.

I have been reading through this forum for WEEKS 3-5 hours at a time. It is numbing my brain.

I don't know much about the Mini3. It appears to be a DIY amp. I am pretty good a many projects, but my knowledge of electrical engineering is very limited to plugs, outlets, switches, basic home-wiring and such - not electrical components.

Can I assume you have or have listened to a Mini3?
Are you implying that you feel the Mini3 is better than any of the above amps?

If so, I would be interested to know why you feel it is a better amp. I don't know, so I am not trying to dispute. But, I just haven't seen much info about the Mini3.

Please tell me more and/or direct me to more info with links, comparison testing and similar.

Thanks for the input.

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For both sq and especially portabillity I find the Xin SuperMicro to be almost unbeatable, so much so that I've sold my Xin Reference even though in pure sq it is better than the SuperMicro.

Yeah..... I have read a LOT of great feedback about the SuperMicro.
I have been curious how much better the Reference sounds compared to the SuperMicro.

*Also curious why the least expensive XIN amp (SuperMicro) seems to get the most praise for sq and the most expensive (Macro) seems to get the least praise - ???????

If you had a reference, was it a proto-type/beta? I keep seeing info about different caps and parts in the proto/beta versions. How do you know what the final version will sound like?

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 76
There is no "best" amp.
It all depends on your preferences and the headphones you are using.
I owned the much loved LaRocco PRII but it is no match for the Tomahawk while using In Ears.
The choices you are giving do not make too much sense IMO.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 76
I recommend searching the forum and finding out what people are saying about each of the amps you have listed....there's a vast amount of information on this board! Seek, and you shall find!
If you just check out Skylab's 400 (exagerating by about 100) portable amp review, you're going to get most of your questions answered.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend searching the forum and finding out what people are saying about each of the amps you have listed....there's a vast amount of information on this board! Seek, and you shall find!
If you just check out Skylab's 400 (exagerating by about 100) portable amp review, you're going to get most of your questions answered.

The problem with that is it's only one person's perspective, I'm not trying diss Skylab, I commend his efforts, but lately it seems to be touted almost as gospel.

I do agree with what others have said as well, I think it would be pretty hard to declare any amp the "best" with an iPod as it's going to depend on personal preference and headphone choice. In fact one person's opinion could vary greatly depending on headphone choice alone.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah..... I have read a LOT of great feedback about the SuperMicro.
I have been curious how much better the Reference sounds compared to the SuperMicro.

*Also curious why the least expensive XIN amp (SuperMicro) seems to get the most praise for sq and the most expensive (Macro) seems to get the least praise - ???????

If you had a reference, was it a proto-type/beta? I keep seeing info about different caps and parts in the proto/beta versions. How do you know what the final version will sound like?

My Reference was a 22.000 uf cap beta version as of late june. I don't think anybody including Xin knows what the final version will sound like. The Reference is based on the architecture of the SuperMicro and both are/will be optimized for a specific sound that I happen to like. The SuperMacro on the other hand is the most versatile as you can roll your opamps and buffers and have the 4 feature switches so you can tailor your sound. The SuperMini and LE falls somewhere in between. I found that the Reference did sound better than the SuperMicro if the environment was quite but I'm using it during transport so a lot of that difference is lost due to external noice and also I found the Reference+iMod to be just to big to be practical. The SuperMicro+Nano on the other hand is super portable and does sound superb.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, there is a VAST amount of info. By posting a poll, I was hoping to simplify some of the searching. I have "Seeked"....... thanks.

And I have read Skylabs 24 amp review.

I have searched for hours, days and weeks till my head hurts. I have been up all night - AGAIN! Every time I open a thread, it references 5 - 20 of something new to continue searching for.

I have about a 35 page Word Doc with notes at this point. But, not too much is conclusive.

I don't have (or can't find) a retailer where I can go listen to all of these amps, headphones and combos.

I get that there is no PERFECT option and that personal preference is a huge factor and very subjective in sound.

I am relatively new here. Sorry if it shows. But, I have tried.

If you don't want to participate in the poll or feel I am wasting your time or rehashing a common question, I appologize for wasting your time.

But, for those others who wouldn't mind sharing your opinions, I would appreciate it.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 76
In my experiences, I would suggest not getting the PRII. The thing is enormous compared to an iPod.
I'd probably suggest the Hornet based on build quality, versitality, and customer service. It's a nice amp for a wide variety of headphones (IEM's to high impedence full size cans)...it's a good all-arounder.

ADD: To be honest with you, the only way to find out which amp is for you, is to buy them all and try them out. I know it's expensive, but atleast you'll know.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 76
I don't think you're wasting people's time, I think some people like myself, just wanted to point out a level of futility in trying to declare a "best" amp for the iPod.

If you're looking for the best amp for yourself maybe you should try try to describe a bit about what it is you're looking for sonically, what kind of usage it might see, etc. Actually pretty much anything you can think of that would help describe your situation and preference might be helpful to those who could direct you. After that if the picture is still not clear I might suggest narrowing the field to 2 or 3 and buy them, compare them yourself and either send the others back or resell for minimal loss.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with that is it's only one person's perspective, I'm not trying diss Skylab, I commend his efforts, but lately it seems to be touted almost as gospel.

I do agree with what others have said as well, I think it would be pretty hard to declare any amp the "best" with an iPod as it's going to depend on personal preference and headphone choice. In fact one person's opinion could vary greatly depending on headphone choice alone.

I totally agree. I have read Skylab's assessment. He seemed to try very hard to be non-biased.

However, even he admitted in his thread - it was just his opinion.

I am pretty good with opinions...... Just not to good with "Single" opinions. I would much rather base my decisions on a large consensus of opinions. I realize that I may not agree with the majority. But, that along with some research and comments on those that are ranked towards the top should be a good start!

----------

I have recently purchased, but not yet received a set of [size=large]Shure E500's[/size].

I did a lot of research on those as well.... Been reading for weeks! I gather that the Shure E500's (and 530's) suffer from cord stiffening and cracking. I have read that the high's trail off and that the lows are muddy and false sounding. But, the general concensus is that the mids are awesome.
So, the Shure E500's are not perfect. But, they "seem" to be very popular.

I also read about UE Triple-Fi 10 Pros, Etymotic ER-4P's, and many others. The Westone 3's that are coming have some preliminary great reviews, but only by Ray Mears that I can find and with unknown release date, can't find the price and just general lack of info. I will have to hold off on the Westones.

This is a large investment to me and I am trying to do as much research to narrow down what seems best for the money as I possibly can.

Ideally, I would listen to all of my options.

I can't find the option to listen to ANY of my options!

So, hopefully, I can gan a little bit more info by asking opinions and questions. Isn't that what forums are about? I understand these are "Opinions". I want opinions. Maybe somebody else will appreciate a poll that accumulates a consensus of opinions?

I tried to narrow down the list based on positive comments from various posts and yes including Skylab's reviews.

I am doing the best I know how.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #15 of 76
HeadAmp Pico gets my vote hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back