POLL: Balanced Armature VS. Dynamic Driver
Feb 1, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Dynamic. I'm a bit of a basshead. BA just don't move enough air and lack weight.

There are many BA IEMs with plenty of bass weight.  The Klipsch X10 is one of them.  Another is the JH13, as well as just about any other custom.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
There are many BA IEMs with plenty of bass weight.  The Klipsch X10 is one of them.  Another is the JH13, as well as just about any other custom.

You may be right. Well, in my experience with BA's (Audeo PFE and Westone 2) the PFE was too lean and lacked body. The W2 was ok though. But both barely moved any air (which FWIR is a shortcoming of the BA technology that can't be overcome).

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #18 of 32
The PFE and W2 are light on bass. Try out the UM2 and TF10. They use BA drivers and produce much more noticeable bass. The REO uses dynamic drivers and are as bass light as the PFE and W2.

Quote:
Quote:

You may be right. Well, in my experience with BA's (Audeo PFE and Westone 2) the PFE was too lean and lacked body. The W2 was ok though. But both barely moved any air (which FWIR is a shortcoming of the BA technology that can't be overcome).

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 32

Quote:

This is correct. Even on high-price customs, armature technology is simply lacking. KWKarth, an adminstrator for head-fi and a senior sound engineer, told me that balanced armatures are an old technology that hasn't been seriously improved in decades (whereas dynamics have been innovatively refined and refined again). Balanced armatures cannot move air and that is an important part of how our ears hear bass. People can get used to almost anything, so they get used to not really hearing real bass and that's ok.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #20 of 32
I think a dynamic driver's strenght is also a weakness (bass) because even at a sweetspot you tend to get an extra coloration that makes it sound "boomy" compared to a BA. Dynamics also don't fare as well in overall resolution compared to their BA counterparts. Now where dynamics really have an edge on BAs is in dynamic range and timbre. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 32
It's hard to find a balance. Both have their strengths and the closest I've found to being a good balance are the customs I have but not perfect but don't think anything can be perfect since earphones will never be headphones which will never be speakers.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #25 of 32
I prefer BAs it sounds "cleaner" to me for some reason. Very crisp and great resolution, but kinda lacks dimension of dynamics.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 32
I vote armature. The best IEMs I've heard use this type of drivers.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #27 of 32
Both have their strengths & weaknesses. One thing I will say is that I prefer a very good dynamic driver to any 2 or 3 way BA configuration. Dynamics have a more natural sound quality with a cohesiveness I've yet to hear in a multi-driver iem. However, an extremely good single BA driver headphone (like ety ER4) will always outshine a good dynamic. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #28 of 32
In creating a closed system inside your head, isolation is the whole point, at least in professional applications. With properly fitted earpieces, balanced armature drivers thrive in this environment. This carries distinct benefits in reducing the noise floor, thus raising the S/N ratio so you actually receive more of the intended audio, even at lower output settings. Which reduces the likelihood of long-term hearing damage. Which means enjoying more music, longer, and later in life.

So really, not only do balanced armature designs sound more accurate to my ear; they also promote superior quality of life.
BA FTW!

May 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #29 of 32
Vote for BA because I am deeply impressed by a BA type IEM: Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS.

May 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #30 of 32
I can actually go either way.  Yes BAs have the weakness in bass, however, some BAs sound like dynamics.  The other problem with BAs is that a single driver can't cover a whole spectrum of sound (that is why multiple driver BAs is used frequently).  BAs also offer lots more detail in my opinion.  Dynamics are the exact opposite, they tend to have better bass, however things like the RE0 are really bass light.  Dynamics can also cover a larger spectrum of sound with one driver.  Dynamics also tend to be less detailed, however there is a counterexample to every rule (RE0 for example).

Which one do I prefer, I'd go with either.  The technology does make a difference, but it's how the technology is tuned that does it in the end.  As long as it sounds nice, why question the tech?  "It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice [it's a good cat]."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back