Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 157
Quote:
but machine guns sound like tin cans and explosions sound like.....you can't hear them

I can hear explosions just fine, although I can't really feel them all that well. If you really game competitively, in FPS games you should be noticing the position of voices, gunfire and footsteps rather than focusing on explosions and the AD700 does a fine job of allowing me to hear the enemies when they make a noise. The flaw I hear sound wise is the some between upper mids and highs sound sibilant or sharp which migh be the reason why some guns sound tinny.

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #32 of 157

Quote:
The AD700 is terrible if you like to enjoy your games. For competition, sure it's a little more accurate, but machine guns sound like tin cans and explosions sound like.....you can't hear them. I would never use either one for music, so that is a non-issue. And for whatever reason the AD700 wouldn't stay on my head and hurt my jaw, so the 555 was more comfortable for me. I was using CMSS so I can't comment how pure 2 channel gaming sounds.

Can EQ'ing them help this at all?

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 157
kite7, I don't game competitively, but I game a lot. If I did, then I would probably have a 770 or 880, but if cost were a factor and they fit my head, then the AD700 would be my choice. You are right, you can hear explosions, they are just missing the exploding part.

Since I don't game competitively and I like to feel like I am watching a movie and get immersed in my games, the 555 picks up more than enough detail, has great positioning, all while providing some low end rumble, and as a bonus, are very comfortable. Not Beyer comfortable, but still good. I just don't see the mass appeal for the AD700 besides price. And I can't be the only one who thinks the fit and comfort is terrible. I have a narrow head, but I'm 6' 3", so my head's not that small.

Ze_Blitzkrieg, maybe, I don't ever use an EQ, but you might cause some distortion. I already returned the AD700 and kept the 555, so I can't test it out. It might not be as bad as I am saying, but compared to the 555, the AD700 lacks accuarcy. Just hearing game sounds isn't good enough for me, I need them to be somewhat accurate as well.

dub Beatz - Maybe they will. I guess we will have to wait and see. We obviously have different preferences, because my two worst purchases we the 770/80 and AD700, mostly for the lack of mids.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #35 of 157

Quote:
kite7, I don't game competitively, but I game a lot. If I did, then I would probably have a 770 or 880, but if cost were a factor and they fit my head, then the AD700 would be my choice. You are right, you can hear explosions, they are just missing the exploding part.

Since I don't game competitively and I like to feel like I am watching a movie and get immersed in my games, the 555 picks up more than enough detail, has great positioning, all while providing some low end rumble, and as a bonus, are very comfortable. Not Beyer comfortable, but still good. I just don't see the mass appeal for the AD700 besides price. And I can't be the only one who thinks the fit and comfort is terrible. I have a narrow head, but I'm 6' 3", so my head's not that small.

Ze_Blitzkrieg, maybe, I don't ever use an EQ, but you might cause some distortion. I already returned the AD700 and kept the 555, so I can't test it out. It might not be as bad as I am saying, but compared to the 555, the AD700 lacks accuarcy. Just hearing game sounds isn't good enough for me, I need them to be somewhat accurate as well.

dub Beatz - Maybe they will. I guess we will have to wait and see. We obviously have different preferences, because my two worst purchases we the 770/80 and AD700, mostly for the lack of mids.

Well, I am mainly just getting the AD700's as a temporary solution while I send my 555's off for RMA (cracks on both sides after only 3 months).  I am not expecting them to replace my 555's and I am actually expecting them to be worse. . .but I like to be surprised if it does happen that the AD700's sound better somehow.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #36 of 157
Oh yeah, that's true, AD700 can make machineguns sound metallic. A pinch of fiberloft in that hole on the back of the driver should help with that or EQ'ing.
Personally, i don't mind.
I'd take an AT over a Senn any day, regardless.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #37 of 157
I don't know how you could possibly expect them to be worse. Do you ignore the 900+ threads dedicated to comparing 555 to 700? 700 wins every single time. Lol, ACEEPT IT! THEY'RE BETTER!

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 157

Quote:
I don't know how you could possibly expect them to be worse. Do you ignore the 900+ threads dedicated to comparing 555 to 700? 700 wins every single time. Lol, ACEEPT IT! THEY'RE BETTER!

Just because the masses repeat the hype doesn't mean they are for everyone.  Am I saying I expect them to NOT be good?  No. . .I'm just saying I don't think they will be for me. . .and that IS based on the 900+ threads of information I have sifted through.  I just figured my current situation to be the best time to find out once and for all for myself. . .fact or hype.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 157
Jun 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 157

Quote:
Just because the masses repeat the hype doesn't mean they are for everyone.  Am I saying I expect them to NOT be good?  No. . .I'm just saying I don't think they will be for me. . .and that IS based on the 900+ threads of information I have sifted through.  I just figured my current situation to be the best time to find out once and for all for myself. . .fact or hype.

Very well said, comrade.
Not everyone who has tried AD700 likes it, or is an AT fan like me =P

A lot of people seem to enjoy the Sennheiser sound and you may just find it to be right up your alley, even if AD700 is a little bit better.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #43 of 157

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINyQWt4Db4
Lol i'm just giving you a hard time man. Nothing but love homie.

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #44 of 157

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINyQWt4Db4
Lol i'm just giving you a hard time man. Nothing but love homie.

It's cool. . .was just saying. . .not in an aggressive manner. . .sorry if it came across that way.  I like to be straight to the point. 
cool.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #45 of 157
Nah, I know. The reason I was so persistent about it is because I own the AD700 and you own the HD555, classic duel you know? I honest to god don't even care which is better lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back