Poll: ad700 vs hd555
Jun 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 157
I hear people prefer AD700s to 595 because of Sennheiser's typically un-engaging sound signature. They say AD700 are more fun, and provide a wider sound stage while generally being more accurate. I can't verify this, for I do not own a pair of 595s.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #20 of 157
I can confirm that it's true. However some people like the greater bass presence of the 595 and the smaller sound stage. So because of that there are differences. However the bass is more "accurate" on the ad700 and doesn't affect the rest of the sound; tradeoff is that its not there as much.

Both offer great sound but my thinking is, ad700 offer something unique and enjoyable whereas the hd5x5 really does not. That's why I'd buy the ad700 everytime.

edit: plus is bloody PURPLE!!!!!
edit2: BTW its only $84 right now, Free Shipping, NEW from Beach Camera through Amazon

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 157
Those sweet AT mids =d

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #23 of 157

Quote:
thnx guys. how about the higher up sennheisers? how are the ad700s to the 595 or 600?

AD700 is no match in every category except soundstage, it's wider horizontally and has no "gaps" or voids like the HD600. The HD600 is really a level beyond the AD700 for music in resolution, separation and detail; everything is just much more refined but when it comes to movies/shows or gaming I'll take the AD700 over the HD600. I personally thought the HD600 sounded too boring though it is very clean sounding, it didn't really make me nod to the music I was listening to like the RS1 does :)

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #25 of 157
I see a common misconception going around, too often.  People seem to believe just because a soundstage for a pair of headphones is "wider", "bigger", "airy sounding cans", that therefore the soundstage of that headphone is superior to one that isn't quite as big.  I find that to be untrue, as some soundstages are larger, but are either unrealistic, have too much separation, less involving, etc.. 

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 157
I've heard both, and I prefer the AD700 - the detail, dynamics, imaging and soundstage are all ahead of the HD555. Their midrange is not as engaging as I would have liked though, and they need a bass boost for some genres (even a FiiO E5 will do).

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 157

Quote:
I see a common misconception going around, too often.  People seem to believe just because a soundstage for a pair of headphones is "wider", "bigger", "airy sounding cans", that therefore the soundstage of that headphone is superior to one that isn't quite as big.  I find that to be untrue, as some soundstages are larger, but are either unrealistic, have too much separation, less involving, etc.

None of which apply to AD700's soundstage, fortunately.
atsmile.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 157
The AD700 is terrible if you like to enjoy your games. For competition, sure it's a little more accurate, but machine guns sound like tin cans and explosions sound like.....you can't hear them. I would never use either one for music, so that is a non-issue. And for whatever reason the AD700 wouldn't stay on my head and hurt my jaw, so the 555 was more comfortable for me. I was using CMSS so I can't comment how pure 2 channel gaming sounds.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #30 of 157

Quote:
I see a common misconception going around, too often.  People seem to believe just because a soundstage for a pair of headphones is "wider", "bigger", "airy sounding cans", that therefore the soundstage of that headphone is superior to one that isn't quite as big.  I find that to be untrue, as some soundstages are larger, but are either unrealistic, have too much separation, less involving, etc.. 

Kind of like those K702's you had compared to the HD600's eh?  Thats how I feel the AD700's will be compared to the HD555's, although I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong when my AD700's finally get here (but I just don't think that is going to happen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back