Pocket Amp V2 good or bad?
Dec 26, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #136 of 162
I'm happy to say the PA2V2 is a great match with the AKG K701!
biggrin.gif
Whereas with other headphones the amp can sound overpowering in the bass region and too colored in the highs (darker, grainier), with the K701 the bass sounds very authoritative and controlled, and the highs are most neutral and crisp!

PA2V2 good or bad? Good. Especially with akg k701 and sony xd400. With these two cans the go-vibe3 takes a back seat... WAY back.

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #137 of 162
i got a question. does the package come as regular mail that your mailman deliever with your letters and bills? or does it have to be signed like Fedex or something?
confused.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #139 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
PA2V2 good or bad? Good. Especially with akg k701 and sony xd400. With these two cans the go-vibe3 takes a back seat... WAY back.

With what opamp? Unlike PA2V2, the go-vibe has opamp rolling capability.

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #140 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
With what opamp? Unlike PA2V2, the go-vibe has opamp rolling capability.

With OPA2107, but I don't believe the go-vibe will EVER catch up no matter which opamp you put in it. I'm currently comparing the PA2V2 / K701 with my SR71 and Portaphile.

The pa2v2 REALLY opens up the K701 in a way that neither the portaphile nor sr71 can. The music is much closer-- like suddenly a veil is lifted. The k701's sterile and flat bass takes on new life! I won't go as far as saying the pa2v2 is in the same league (sq wise) as the sr71/portaphile but suffice to say that if I lose both amps, I would happily use the pa2v2 as a substitute-- that's how much I like the sound.

Also, I've always thought my DT880 in general sounds more 'fun' though very weak in mids, but listening to K701/PA2V2, I thought, 'this is how the DT880 SHOULD've sound.'
eek.gif
I'm stunned.

I really hope my upcoming Aria will have this effect, but here's a reason not to judge the pa2v2 by it's price nor by it's specs (lm4881 opamp? ha ha ha). Stellar amp!
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #141 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
Also, I've always thought my DT880 in general sounds more 'fun' though very weak in mids,

Enough to tell me your hearing is *very* different than mine. Enjoy your PA2V2...

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #142 of 162
Quote:

Enough to tell me your hearing is *very* different than mine. Enjoy your PA2V2...

That depends. Like you, I also have the HD-580. The mids on the 580 is fine, but with the 880, the vocal performer always sounds like s/he's behind the band rather than the other way around. This always bothers me.

If you think the difference in mids between the 580 and 880 isn't much, then it's just a matter of sensitivity. I think there's a BIG gap between the two cans as far as mids are concerned.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #143 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
That depends. Like you, I also have the HD-580. The mids on the 580 is fine, but with the 880, the vocal performer always sounds like s/he's behind the band rather than the other way around. This always bothers me.

If you think the difference in mids between the 580 and 880 isn't much, then it's just a matter of sensitivity. I think there's a BIG gap between the two cans as far as mids are concerned.

I don't hear anything wrong with DT880 mids. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out that (to my ears) the reason why DT880 mids sounded deficient at first was that the extraordinary bass extension + slightly emphasized highs were merely distracting my attention from it. The mids are fine even immediately after listening to the K501.

Looking at Headroom graphs of the DT880 is enough to confirm that midrange is flat. I wonder if the problem you're having is with certain recordings, or another piece of gear. Or, it is just your hearing. I wouldn't chalk this one up to a problem with the headphones.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #144 of 162
Quote:

It took me about 5 minutes to figure out that (to my ears) the reason why DT880 mids sounded deficient at first was that the extraordinary bass extension + slightly emphasized highs were merely distracting my attention from it.

I agree with you there. The bass extension is overpowering the mids-- making them sound weak/deficient. Well.. I can either say, "the bass is overpowering the mids" or "the mids sound weak," I just happen to chose the latter.
biggrin.gif

So I reiterate, the k701/pa2v2 combination is pretty much what the dt880 should be. The bass is fun, but not overpowering. The highs are crisp, but not as emphasized as the 880s-- i.e. metallic sounding.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #145 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I agree with you there. The bass extension is overpowering the mids-- making them sound weak/deficient. Well.. I can either say, "the bass is overpowering the mids" or "the mids sound weak," I just happen to chose the latter.
biggrin.gif

All I'll say is "yeah, but..." bass and mids are both flatter than nearly any headphone. This is not something that can be faulted to the headphones, it's a mental thing that troubles some people and not others, and is recording dependent as well. When I listen to classical with DT880, it sounds more real and closer to live music than any other headphone I've listened to. I just can't say "weak mids" given that... it sounds ridiculous. This is a listener and/or recording issue (btw I don't hear the same problem with voices that you do).

I guess you could fault DT880 for not rolling off lower bass like most headphones, resulting in apparently weak midrange. Or if it rolled off lower bass, you could fault it in the bass! See what I'm saying... it's a preference thing.

P.S. apologies for contributing to this thread going off track... I'm gonna sign off here, we can discuss the DT880 in another thread.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #146 of 162
Quote:

it's a mental thing that troubles some people and not others, and is recording dependent as well. When I listen to classical with DT880, it sounds more real and closer to live music than any other headphone I've listened to.

Agreed. I was listening to Utada Hikaru "Can you keep a secret?" and BoA "Merikuri." FAR from classical.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #147 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_j_thomas
Mine came regular mail -- didnt' have to sign.

thanks. anyone else? did you have to sign for the package or did it just come with regular mail?
confused.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #148 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
thanks. anyone else? did you have to sign for the package or did it just come with regular mail?
confused.gif

Mine came via regular mail also. It had some sort of Canadian declaration of value on it, but no one had to sign for it. You can always write to Gary and ask him - he responds very quickly. BTW, from his place to mine in Southern California took from Tuesday morning of week one to Wednesday of week two. Not too bad, although I'm naturally impatient! It's worth the wait.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #149 of 162
Quick question, if I plug in the AC adaptor and turn the amp off, will it still charge the battery? Or does the amp have to be on to charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back