Pocket Amp V2 good or bad?
Aug 22, 2005 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 162

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
This nifty amp looks ideal for my application: business travel. I wonder if anyone can comment on the sound. I am planning to drive a pair of Etymotics ER4S, Sennheiser HD-25-1, Shure E2, Westone UM2, and Super.fi 5 Pro. How is the attack and release on this amp? Does it color the sound or add any artifact?

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
This nifty amp looks ideal for my application: business travel. I wonder if anyone can comment on the sound. I am planning to drive a pair of Etymotics ER4S, Sennheiser HD-25-1, Shure E2, Westone UM2, and Super.fi 5 Pro. How is the attack and release on this amp? Does it color the sound or add any artifact?

I dont like it so much for my DT770, V6, e2c and SR60. The PA2 has more bass impact and midrange energy that tends to color those cans... even more-so than what they already are. I DO like it for my MS2, HD280 though. Love the bass slam mated to my MS2 and the bass kick helps to liven up the super-flat sounding HD280.

I prefer a govibe for my DT770, V6, e2c, MDR-CD770 and modded 870. Based upon a very brief impression, I also prefer the govibe for my SR60 (even though it was very short-lived
biggrin.gif
)

Garrett

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 162
It's a great amp!!

I have mine a few months now and with the er4 and the hd650 it adds more bass and it also clear the midrange and the highs.
It makes some scratching noise when you turn the volume knob, but Gary(builder) know it and he says it is the only way that the volume control w'ont get in the signal path. The battery time is enormous which is good for traveling. I have used mine about 2 weeks 2-3 hours a day without need to recharge!

The building is sturdy, and it's smalle than it appear on the pics!!

IMHO you cannot go wrong with this amp!!!

Cheers
Manuel

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 162
I just ordered my Pocket Amp from Gary. This would be my first headphone amp and Gary answered all of my questions very quickly. Really his price was the lowest I've found and construction looks above par. Now I just need some nice headphones to test out the amp when it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rob

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 162
Yeah, for the money it's really quite sweet.

It's bass-heavy, but that suits me cos I like the added impact, improves both detail and clarity (albeit not by a whole lot), and I feel that the highs don't seem as piercing when the PA2 is added into the link.

As for the scratching noise when the volume knob is moved, it's there every time I turn it on but goes away in under a minute. I don't notice it when I'm using canalphones cos it's gone by the time I put them in but with headphones, it's audbile cos I start adjusting the volume much earlier.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 162
Cant really fault this little amp it seems the perfect partner for my Rio Karma and Shure E3's / E4's.
Seem to get more power more bass and just better all round sound its a great buy at the price and i agree Gary is really helpful.
Biggest plus is its size or lack of it and does the battery ever run down???
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back