PMV PP Planar Magic
May 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #136 of 157
Got my pair of PMV PP 2 days ago. I can admit that they have better bass than isine 10/20. They does not have harshness and sand sounding upper mids like P1. I have LCD2nf in my desktop system and PMV remind its the signature of dark, bassy and involving sound.

They have unique feature that I can use them on the high volume levels without discomfort feeling in my ears after. Other dynamic driver iem forces the sound pressure on high levels and it makes my eardrums feel overloaded. Not with PMV.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #137 of 157
Hey there ya'll new here, but I just got my pair pf PMV PP's yesterday and have been listening and comparing them to my other stuff, so just wanted to chime in and provide my initial thoughts and impressions.

So, to get the easy stuff out of the way, let's talk about the build and presentation:

*No frills plastic and cardboard packaging
*Solid build on the PMV PP's themselves, and I like the matte blue finish
*Can be a bit fatiguing after long listening depending on your ear shape; slightly chunky (*Note: I've recently discovered, if you rotate the things 180 degrees upside down, with the plugs pointing down like AirPod stems, you'll look ridiculous but will be WAY more comfortable)
*Decent assortment of tips including a pair of soft foam type and a pair of dual-flange silicone
*Nice little square zipper case. Not pocketable, but not too big either.
*Haven't used the cable, but it's decent enough if you don't already have one. Single ended 3.5mm plug with 8-core braid with a metal/CB fiber split and flush .78mm 2-pin connectors. Might re-terminate with a balanced plug just for fun if I get bored.

Now that the easy stuff is out of the way, let's talk a little bit about my impressions on how they sound:

One thing to consider is, I'm a bit of a planar whore, so I've already got a tiny little assortment of other planar driven goodies in my collection for comparison. For reference, my DD workhorse amp/dac for listening to just about everything I use these days is a Centrance HiFiM8 ver. 1 and I'm using a balanced DUNU cable for connecting to the PP's on med gain and lowest output resistance with zero other boosts.

The foam tips came preinstalled and fit just fine for my ears, giving a decent seal and noise isolation. They're not earplugs, but do a good job of blocking out the external environment.

The first and biggest impression the PP's gave me though was MOTHER OF GOD: THE BASS!!! Now let's be clear, I have the iSine20 and the i4, and the PP's give those two a run for the money on just bass alone (and just to be super *crystal* clear, by NO MEANS am I saying the PP's compete with the latter or the former in all regards generally speaking; they don't) but the bass. My goodness, the bass... It's just so BIG, warm, cozy and inviting; a sonic comforter you can wrap around yourself to make a happy comfy bass burrito. When I was listening to Camille Saint-Saëns organ concerto in C. minor (BBC Proms version on YT), the subsonic representation was clean, quick, and with a presence that had me feeling like I was in Albert Hall myself. You know that special feeling you get when a BIG organ hits those really _LOW_ registers in person? The PMV PP's come pretty damn close to replicating that. Impressive!

Out from that massive bass, the mids roll in with what sounds like a tiny tone dip towards the end of the upper mids, keeping things nice and cozy without too much harshness on some vocals. This does seem to push certain instruments and vocals a little "further away" inside my head than I hear on my other IEM's, but that seems to help with the soundstage, which BTW is pretty damn good compared to my other closed-back planar IEM (we'll come back to that). That said, because of that little dip at the end of the mids, some of the timbre characteristics in that range can be a little harder to pick up. For instance, listening to The Forge (Blue Man Group, Three), the impact of the hammer dulcimer sounds a little more recessed than I hear on some other IEM's. Overall the detail is decent enough, but sometimes the upper mids sound like they're just taking a back seat next to everything else going on.

Speaking of which, there's a lot going on. Why do I say this? Because after that upper mid dip, the highs rise. Sorta. I mean, they're not exactly what I'd consider bright either. I have the Tin P1's, and those are bleeding-earballs BRIGHT. It's weird, because my LCD i4's are DARK and yet to an extent, the PP's sound EVEN DARKER! (Owing in some part to my comments on the midrange maybe?) Yet... in spite of all that, they're very detailed and there's a certain sparkle that comes out from all of the darkness. Oh, and that sparkle? It's WIDE. Like REALLY WIDE. See, here's the thing... The only other closed-back planar IEM's I have to compare apple's to apples, are my P1's. Now make no mistake, I love my P1's. I have to switch over to high gain and practically max my volume to drive them, but with how detailed they are, totally worth it. Except, the P1's lacked the kind of soundstage I was expecting from a planar, and of course, they're BRIGHT. *Not the case with the PMV PP.* The highs that the PP's express are light and tingly, richly coloured and detailed, and have a short decay with minimal sibilance, giving rise to a well contrasted and wide sonic canvas that brings all that lovely BASS to life without sounding too artificial or muddied. Shadows of the City (Hybrid, Soundsystem 01) demonstrates this effect very nicely. If the the brightness of the Tin P1's are like getting someone's headlights in your face at night, the PMV PP's are like sitting in the illuminating glow of a bonfire instead; it's really enjoyable.

Apart from the BASS, the soundstage was my other biggest initial impression. WAY wider than I was expecting from another closed-back. The soundstage of the PP's are absolutely exceptional for their class and price.

So yeah, to sum up I guess you could say the PMV PP's are kinda like the polar opposite of what the Tin P1's are:
Bass-heads rejoice! They've got dark, thick and detailed BASS, with width and soundstage to spread it all out, and just enough brightness and warmth to make it all nice and cozy without blinding your earballs.

Definitely pleased with the purchase, and worth the wait from Linsoul.
Hows the vocal performance?
Currently i'm using Tancjhim Tanya (after so many V shaped IEMs with scooped thin mids/vocals) and finally hear a Thick full bodied vocal for both male and female, coupled with great layering.

I was wondering to buy a new-ish second hand Aria. As i talk to the seller, turns out he was selling his Aria for this PMV PP which bring me here.
Its intriguing as my BTR5 seems to unable to power HE400 headphone that i aim for, and then i found out that another Planar PMV PP which i my place is sold cheaper than the USD price. Not to mention its seems to be better than Tinhifi P1 which a bit polarizing in the reviews

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #138 of 157
Currently i'm using Tancjhim Tanya (after so many V shaped IEMs with scooped thin mids/vocals) and finally hear a Thick full bodied vocal for both male and female, coupled with great layering.

I was wondering to buy a new-ish second hand Aria. As i talk to the seller, turns out he was selling his Aria for this PMV PP which bring me here.
Its intriguing as my BTR5 seems to unable to power HE400 headphone that i aim for, and then i found out that another Planar PMV PP which i my place is sold cheaper than the USD price. Not to mention its seems to be better than Tinhifi P1 which a bit polarizing in the reviews
I am using my BTR5 with HE-4XX without issues, however I am using it balanced. With the 2.5mm output the BTR5 has plenty of juice but ymmv.

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #139 of 157
83EF2683-989F-48C3-A5F7-DDDF909D838D.jpeg

Took a dust guard off and peeked inside.

I’ve been driving it with the M8 (turbo gain) and PP sounds noticeably more controlled.

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #140 of 157
I am using my BTR5 with HE-4XX without issues, however I am using it balanced. With the 2.5mm output the BTR5 has plenty of juice but ymmv.
I was a bit worried, i tried HE-4XX on the store with the 3.5mm and BTR5 barely make a sound in my normal volume. I had to max it and even then its not "loud" and barely ok.
So, the 2.5mm is perfectly fine yeah. I need some cable then.

My headphone is ATH-M40x and HD202II both currently out classed in details compared to my TFZ King Pro iems, so i want to get that HE-4xx or HE400i 2020 (who is a bit less power hungry)

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #141 of 157

Vocals are pretty good overall really IMO. They definitely sound more recessed compared to the P1, but for those listening sessions where it sounds better when the vocalists are singing in front of you as opposed to inside your head, that may be preferable :)

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #142 of 157
Vocals are pretty good overall really IMO. They definitely sound more recessed compared to the P1, but for those listening sessions where it sounds better when the vocalists are singing in front of you as opposed to inside your head, that may be preferable :)
I'm currently enjoying my Tancjhim Tanya with full bodied, centered vocal.
I don't mind a bit recessed as long as its full bodied/thick lush sound.

TFZ KingPro of mine, while have great resolution the vocal is a bit on lean side.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #143 of 157
Hi,
Is there any comparison between PMV PP with Tri I3 ?
Specially in the soundstage which one is better ?
Thank you...

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #144 of 157
Hi,
Is there any comparison between PMV PP with Tri I3 ?
Specially in the soundstage which one is better ?
Thank you...
I don't recall a major difference in soundstage but the I3 has a larger shell that I found problematic to maintain a comfortable fit and ultimately returned it. OTOH, the PMV fits me very nicely and is overall very enjoyable for long listening sessions. It plays well with all music genres that I have tried.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #145 of 157
Just order it today..
It's my 1st experience with planar.....
Actually I prever V shape, details with big soundstage....just curious..what will coming from this...

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #148 of 157
Interesting, the PMV PP I received seems to be less bassy than I've seen from some other measurements. Actually pretty close to diffuse-field neutral and the JVC FDX1 with reference filters. Sounds pretty impressive right out of the box with Azla Xelastec eartips. No big urge to mod ATM.

(light blue: PMV PP RAW, dark blue: PMV PP DF-compensated, green: JVC FDX1 ref.)
PKUDhiW.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #149 of 157
Interesting, the PMV PP I received seems to be less bassy than I've seen from some other measurements. Actually pretty close to diffuse-field neutral and the JVC FDX1 with reference filters. Sounds pretty impressive right out of the box with Azla Xelastec eartips. No big urge to mod ATM.

(light blue: PMV PP RAW, dark blue: PMV PP DF-compensated, green: JVC FDX1 ref.)
PKUDhiW.jpg
True, the PP is more warm than bassy IMO. I don't know how a basshead's IEM sounds like, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't sound like the PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back