PM-1 vs HE-6 .....
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #107 of 139
I have heard the LCD-X, PM-1, and HE-6 in the past. The LCD-X and PM-1 were heard under meet conditions, so of course all the normal caveats apply. I own the HE-6 and consider it my reference (powered by a First Watt F5 clone, so no worries there). My thoughts, if anyone is interested: 

1. I thought the PM-1 was likable, but too lush for my tastes. Echoing some of the posters in this thread, I thought it sounded more l like a dynamic than a planar headphone, which could be good or bad, depending on taste. At the time, I thought the PM-1 sounded like a better version of the HD-650 (which I did not care for). 
  2. When it comes to aesthetics, build quality, and comfort, I'd say the PM-1 absolutely smokes the HE-6. I find the HE-6 to be considerably more extended on top and bottom, much more detailed, and better balanced overall. In terms of SQ, I'd give the HE-6 the nod across the board, by a sizable margin.
  3. The LCD-X sounded really good when I got to hear it, but I still preferred the HE-6, which I found to be more resolving and "real" sounding. This isn't a knock on the LCD-X, which I felt was a real improvement (particularly in the treble) over other Audeze cans, but rather another vote towards the sound offered by the HE-6. 
  4. I heard the HE-6 powered by headphone amps at a meet about a year prior to purchasing them, and I still thought they sounded good at the time (one of the amps was the GS-X MkII). With the understanding that aural memory is finicky, I'd say that the HE-6 is a clear notch better on more capable amplification (Audio-gd Master 8, First Watt F5 clone). I got a chance at the meet where I first heard the HE-6 to compare it (on different systems, mind) to the SR-009, and I thought the SR-009 was a touch better, generally in being a bit more open-sounding. At this point, I would love to be able to compare my setup to the SR-009/BHSE again, as I think it might equal or best it, at least for my tastes. 
  5. As with many headphones, there are several modifications of the HE-6 that effect large changes to the sound you can get. I have tried several pads, personally, and have found them to have a rather surprisingly substantial impact on the frequency response and overall balance of the headphone. For those who like parts of the sound but not others (e.g., if the treble is too much for you, etc), pad rolling might be a godsend. Just a thought. 
  6. I have never heard the HE-560, but very much hope to at the Nashville meet in September. Subjectively, I think they look much better than the HE-6, although the decision to keep the same connectors as the HE-6 is absolutely baffling (as they are, by pretty much any measure, utter garbage). 
  7. I have only heard the HD800 briefly, with music that I am unfamiliar with, but found it painfully strident at the time. However, I do believe that was at least in part due to the track/s I heard, which included people whistling loudly near the microphone (it was a live recording). No question, though, the HD800 is much more comfortable than the HE-6, and much more attractive IMO. 

Anyway, hope this helps somewhat! 

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #108 of 139
I'm curious if there is a setup that can match the 009. If so, what DAC and amp would that be? Probably not.  
tongue_smile.gif

As everybody are saying it's the 009's ability to provide space is setting it apart.  In terms of detail and clarity, would the HE-6 match the 009 with the right setup?  What setup would that be?

Is GS-X is not enough juice for the HE-6?

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #109 of 139
  I'm curious if there is a setup that can match the 009. If so, what DAC and amp would that be? Probably not.  
tongue_smile.gif

As everybody are saying it's the 009's ability to provide space is setting it apart.  In terms of detail and clarity, would the HE-6 match the 009 with the right setup?  What setup would that be?

Is GS-X is not enough juice for the HE-6?

I'd assume the same DAC for the purposes of making it a more useful comparison :wink:. Opinions, naturally, seem to differ. In the HE-6 thread, there are some who feel that a properly amped HE-6 actually eclipses the sound of the SR-009, while others who love the HE-6 still feel the SR-009 is the superior headphone. Those who maintain the HE-6 is better typically do so by asserting the more "solid" sound of instruments and voices versus the more airy, insubstantial sound of the SR-009. (This is from memory of having read through the entire thread, so if I'm fuzzy one some of the details, please forgive me-- but I feel pretty confident this is a reasonable summation). 

As far as what is and is not reasonable amplification, see this thread for an introduction, and the HE-6 (and HE-6 amplification) threads for a full-on doctoral course in all the ins and outs of the debate. In general, there does seem to be a pattern where people who hear the HE-6 on an adequate speaker amp think more highly of them than those whose experience came from headphone amps-- although this is obviously not true in every instance. There are a few people who think the GS-X MkII is adequate for the HE-6, but there seem to be more (in my recollection, anyway) that find it to be a bit underwhelming with the HE-6. As I mentioned before, when I initially heard the HE-6 on headphone amps-- including the GS-X MkII-- I very much liked what I heard. My guess is that the GS-X MkII will do in a pinch, and sounds quite good on its own, but could probably be bested by a speaker amplifier. I have not ever compared these two side-by-side, so this is simply my guess, nothing more

As for what might equal or best the SR-009, one can only guess... Personally, I'd bet that an appropriate First Watt amp and TOTL preamp (assuming it works with whichever FW amp you get, as some of them have rather unique requirements of their preamplification) would have the potential to get you to the point that it became a matter of personal preference. Either way, I'd love to be able to really compare them someday and get a better understanding of both :wink:

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #110 of 139
I thought the GSX-II did quite well with the 6s. As did the HPA-1. But I felt they didn't offer up the same open presentation that speaker amps do. I also felt both amps made the 6s bright. Why that is I have no idea. I'm guessing it's the larger transformer and capacitors in the speaker amps.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #111 of 139

I'd assume the same DAC for the purposes of making it a more useful comparison :wink:. Opinions, naturally, seem to differ. In the HE-6 thread, there are some who feel that a properly amped HE-6 actually eclipses the sound of the SR-009, while others who love the HE-6 still feel the SR-009 is the superior headphone. Those who maintain the HE-6 is better typically do so by asserting the more "solid" sound of instruments and voices versus the more airy, insubstantial sound of the SR-009. (This is from memory of having read through the entire thread, so if I'm fuzzy one some of the details, please forgive me-- but I feel pretty confident this is a reasonable summation). 

As far as what is and is not reasonable amplification, see this thread for an introduction, and the HE-6 (and HE-6 amplification) threads for a full-on doctoral course in all the ins and outs of the debate. In general, there does seem to be a pattern where people who hear the HE-6 on an adequate speaker amp think more highly of them than those whose experience came from headphone amps-- although this is obviously not true in every instance. There are a few people who think the GS-X MkII is adequate for the HE-6, but there seem to be more (in my recollection, anyway) that find it to be a bit underwhelming with the HE-6. As I mentioned before, when I initially heard the HE-6 on headphone amps-- including the GS-X MkII-- I very much liked what I heard. My guess is that the GS-X MkII will do in a pinch, and sounds quite good on its own, but could probably be bested by a speaker amplifier. I have not ever compared these two side-by-side, so this is simply my guess, nothing more

As for what might equal or best the SR-009, one can only guess... Personally, I'd bet that an appropriate First Watt amp and TOTL preamp (assuming it works with whichever FW amp you get, as some of them have rather unique requirements of their preamplification) would have the potential to get you to the point that it became a matter of personal preference. Either way, I'd love to be able to really compare them someday and get a better understanding of both :wink:

Good observations.  I'm gonna have to ask a member @kayandjohn to do a study on the HE-6 setups.  
biggrin.gif
  He already did a study on correlation of people's headphone preferences.
900x900px-LL-327fc13f_CorrelationMatrixAnnotatedv1.jpeg

I thought the GSX-II did quite well with the 6s. As did the HPA-1. But I felt they didn't offer up the same open presentation that speaker amps do. I also felt both amps made the 6s bright. Why that is I have no idea. I'm guessing it's the larger transformer and capacitors in the speaker amps.

Which speaker amps do you think does really well with the HE-6 and are you guys using the headphone out from them?

That's interesting you say it made the 6s bright.  I looked at the graph and according to FR, it has a treble boost on the harsh region like the HD800, but I didn't experience as much brightness as the HD800 with my setup.  I personally think it's better to feed it very minimal output impedance so I see solid state working well than high impedance tube amps.  

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #113 of 139

No chance in hell.

I think "the right setup" as mentioned by @SilverEars does come into play.  As well as personal preference.

I had a chance to listen side by side to SR009 with the SRM007ta and the WES (stock tubes) with the same source (can't remember but it's a CDP) at a show and the difference between the two setup is material.  At the Woo booth for the same show there is also WA5 (stock tubes) and I tried an HE6 with it.  I wouldn't say one is definitely better than the other.  The way I see it is if one's preference is towards more airy and leaner/faster sound, WES+009 would be "better', and if one's preference is towards more euphoric and fuller sound, WA5+HE6 would be "better".  But in terms of detail and clarity, I do think these setups are on par.   Which "better" is better would be for each of us to decide.

Personally, with the advancement of planars (and ortho dynamics like HD800), I no longer crave the electrostat's transparency, clarity, and speed as much as I once did when I first heard the sr007.  I just find it hard to invest another $7500+ into a setup that isn't an overall/all-encompassing/material upgrade to the LCD3/HD800/HE6 that I already owned.

Having said that, and staying on-topic, I do agree SR009 (and HE6) is materially more detailed and transparent than the PM1.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #114 of 139

No chance in hell.

A bit categorical and unnecessarily antagonistic, wouldn't you say? Just some guys jawin' cordially about headphones, after all.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #115 of 139
Sound goes to HE6. Comfort to PM1. HE560 is the best compromise. Too bad it's cheap. :evil:

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #116 of 139
Sound goes to HE6. Comfort to PM1. HE560 is the best compromise. Too bad it's cheap.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL I need everyone of them to be cheaper!  

I agree HE560 is a good compromise, and I could see myself getting one if not for the wood veneer which IMO looks atrocious.  It wasn't that bad in photos but the real thing is... em... well.... I'm not even asking the PM1 level of exquisite built and aesthetics, but just give me some plain old HE400 plastic cups and metal gimble and it's already ok in my book.  Sigh...... 

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #117 of 139

A bit categorical and unnecessarily antagonistic, wouldn't you say? Just some guys jawin' cordially about headphones, after all.

Yes to the first, no to the second - my mention of hell was meant to be cordial
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #118 of 139
  1. At the time, I thought the PM-1 sounded like a better version of the HD-650 (which I did not care for). 

Pretty much this for me also, a better HD650 (which I also didn't care for). Thoegenes and I seem to have virtually the same ears.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #119 of 139

As everybody are saying it's the 009's ability to provide space is setting it apart.  In terms of detail and clarity, would the HE-6 match the 009 with the right setup?

Quote:

No chance in hell.

As much as I like the HE-6.  And with all the new mods the HE-6 has.  By the way, the mods have really took the HE-6 up a few levels.  I still have to agree with the " No chance in hell" statement.  However, I think it's much closer than that..

Also guys,  there's a new kid on the block.  The "Code-X".  I have a pair on my head right now.   Pretty damn good headphone..

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #120 of 139
Yes to the first, no to the second - my mention of hell was meant to be cordial
evil_smiley.gif

Ha! Fair enough. Btw, I'm willing to give props to anybody whose avatar shows the most infamous of droogs in full regalia offering a quick refreshment from the Korova Milk Bar to Snow White... No idea where you found that, but I flippin' love it!! 

Pretty much this for me also, a better HD650 (which I also didn't care for). Thoegenes and I seem to have virtually the same ears.

Yeah, that's beginning to become a pattern... I should just watch to see what you end up with and save myself the cost and trouble of all this buying and selling 
tongue.gif
. Although to be honest, I have tried to keep an eye on things you've given the thumbs-up to, so that I can give 'em a listen myself. We need to find an audio reviewer that shares our affinity for texture and tone and start saving some money, I think 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back