Plussound Audio Thread
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #1,741 of 1,758
Thanks for @PLUSSOUND and @Sebastien Chiu, I can demo the two new releases from Plussound, which is a local company to me but for whatever reason I have never tried their products until this time.

The package that I have received is a very nice leather modular case that includes the following items:

1x Quad-Copper 2-pin/4.4mm

1x SPC XL 2-pin/4.4mm

2x Earphone Stands

5x Silicone Eartips Set

PXL_20240115_220747718.NIGHT.jpg

The two cables are part of the Plussound limited edition cables, and the only cable missing from the tour kit is the silver-plated copper XL 4-wire, which is only for headphones.

First, let’s look at the quad-copper cable, which is very interestingly consisted of pure copper, silver-plated copper, gold-plated copper, and palladium-plated copper. Even though there are so many different types of wires included, the overall size of the cable is surprisingly thin and nimble (I believe what I got is Exo 4-wire version). You also have the choice of choosing Exo (4-wire), X6 (6-wire), or X8 (8-wire), plus numerous other options when you order your cables. I will talk about the customization alternatives you will enjoy at the end of this review, which IMO is one of the biggest strengths of Plussound cables.

PXL_20240115_220058895.jpg

As I mentioned before, quad-copper cable is very nimble and flexible. Ergonomics is another big strength of Plussound cable. There are many other premium cables, but few can compete with Plussound in terms of ergonomics and flexibility. When premium cable companies design their products, it is always a challenge to use thicker and premium materials to maximize the sound quality while also maintaining a level of flexibility. Plussound has some technological know-how to make the best tradeoffs in this regard.

Now let’s talk about the sound of the quad-copper cable. The first thing I noticed was the bass performance, which IMO is the star of the show. It is closer to pure copper than to silver-plated copper. Mixing 4 different coppers in one cable brings some uniqueness to the sound signature, but to my ears, they are improved copper sound but still very close to pure copper. The bass is tighter, more in-control, while still having the impact and rumble of the sub-bass. In the meantime, I did not find any significant change in the treble area, unlike silver-plated copper.

Next, the silver-plated copper XL cable. Even though both cables are 4-wire Exo, the XL is visually much thicker. From my demo, XL is my favorite cable. Just like quad-copper, XL is still very flexible and very easy to handle, typical Plussound cable in terms of ergonomics.

PXL_20240115_220008644.jpg

Compared to quad-copper, XL has the same satisfying bass performance, but you can clearly hear the impact from silver-plate, which brings more mid-range and clarity from the treble. Because of this, I also felt a perceived larger soundstage in XL.

Now I must talk about the commonality shared by both cables. Even though I was talking about the difference between these two cables above, readers must understand that they share way more traits than their differences. Both cables bring strong bass performance, and significantly improve the resolution compared to the cheap stock cables from most of the IEMs.

PXL_20240115_220107200.jpg

For example, the recent hyped Penno Quattro, which is an unbelievable priced ($399) IEM with 4 dynamic drivers implemented on each side. The stock cable in blue looks and feels like a decent one. However, Archille’s heel of Quattro is its bass, especially the mid bass. If you play Gig Boi’s Kill Jill, which is one of the classic tracks to test bass performance, you won’t hear any bass impact at all with Quattro on stock cable. Switching to either quad-copper or XL, you will immediately notice the change in the bass. Similarly, you will start to hear more details much more easily than the stock cable.

Big Boi – Kill Jill ft. Killer Mike, Jeezy

If you must choose between quad-copper and XL, it will depend on your personal preferences and your arsenal of IEMs. For me, I do have a clear preference that I like XL more than quad-copper. If you are looking at the spectrum of pure copper to pure silver, I would say that quad-copper is between pure copper and silver-plated copper, which is quite surprising to me since I originally thought quad-copper sits in another side of the SPC in the spectrum given the mixing of 4 coppers (3 of them are plated).

Finally, let’s talk about the customization of your order from Plussound, which IMO is one of the most customizable among all the premium cable manufacturers. You have tons of choices in almost every aspect of the cable. One of them really attracts me is the choice of termination by IEM companies. For example, Sony IER series have a recess MMCX port, which creates trouble for the cable upgrade. If you ordered from Plussound, you would have a customized MMCX termination for Sony IER-Z1R or M9.

However, the only thing that I wish Plussound has is the MMCX/2pin combo termination. I know this is contrary to my previously mentioned Cons, universal vs precisely customized. But some competitors, such as Effect Audio got ConX, and Eletch Cable is in the process of doing something similar, it is sooner than later for Plussound to catch up and provide another choice of termination, which can universally adapt for either MMCX or 2pin.

The premium modular case is actually quite nice, with two earphone stands. However, you will notice that the case is very large to carry two IEMs.

PXL_20240115_220708234.NIGHT.jpg

Plussound also has quite extensive selection of accessories, such as their IEM tips, which unfortunately haven't have the chance to try them yet, but you can see the picture below:
PXL_20240115_220451156.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,742 of 1,758
CS24.jpg

Our first new product in 2024 is almost here. Stay tuned for the unveil and details next week.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Feb 27, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #1,743 of 1,758
So a few of my HF friends were raving about the Bird/Aeneid pairing.
I’m a fan of Plussound cables, so I figured I would spring for their X8 gold-plated silver wire. Well, all I can say is that the stock cable is going to be relegated to the case…three improvements right out of the box: sub-bass extends even deeper, with a more DD-like rumble (still can’t believe these are just 2 BAs), the treble is brighter and crisper without being sibilant, and the stage is a touch wider (which I think is saying a lot as the bird‘s stage is already amazing).
Just loving this pairing!
And, as always, amazing customer service from @PLUSSOUND (Christian of course).
I also bought an X8 tri-silver…still haven’t listened to it yet! But I’ll post pics and impressions once i get to it.

edit - I should also say the build quality, unboxing experience, etc., is first-rate as ususal! despite it being an 8-wire, for example, it's a super soft and comfortable cable.

D50F6E72-3DE8-46BF-AC70-9C4D8B8E88A4.jpeg
so that means the plussound is better than the expensive stock PW 1960?

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #1,744 of 1,758
So a few of my HF friends were raving about the Bird/Aeneid pairing.
I’m a fan of Plussound cables, so I figured I would spring for their X8 gold-plated silver wire. Well, all I can say is that the stock cable is going to be relegated to the case…three improvements right out of the box: sub-bass extends even deeper, with a more DD-like rumble (still can’t believe these are just 2 BAs), the treble is brighter and crisper without being sibilant, and the stage is a touch wider (which I think is saying a lot as the bird‘s stage is already amazing).
Just loving this pairing!
And, as always, amazing customer service from @PLUSSOUND (Christian of course).
I also bought an X8 tri-silver…still haven’t listened to it yet! But I’ll post pics and impressions once i get to it.

edit - I should also say the build quality, unboxing experience, etc., is first-rate as ususal! despite it being an 8-wire, for example, it's a super soft and comfortable cable.

D50F6E72-3DE8-46BF-AC70-9C4D8B8E88A4.jpeg
I know very well this GPS x8 :

Very good : "analogue" sounding cable, smooth, classy, with a very good natural resolution power.
Recommended :beerchug:

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #1,745 of 1,758
CopperXL.jpg
CXL.jpg

We are thrilled to introduce COPPER XL, our newest large size 18AWG wire designed for our custom builds. Similar to our limited SPC (Silver Plated Copper) XL, COPPER XL consists of a custom Type 6x6 Litz configuration that includes 36 wire bundles made out of UP-OCC pure copper with multi-varied dampening cores in each one with a large primary center core. With these implementations, we have a very soft and pliable cable that maximizes conductivity and performance. Expect a highly refined copper sound with a wide soundstaging and excellent transparency not found in other cables.

COPPER XL is available to order starting TODAY for IEM, headphone, and interconnect cables. Configure yours at
https://www.plussoundaudio.com.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Mar 1, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #1,746 of 1,758
so that means the plussound is better than the expensive stock PW 1960?
I'd say cables are more about synergy, but verse copper + is really terrific - defintely an underrated cable - kudos to @PLUSSOUND
Can't wait to demo Copper XL :)

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,749 of 1,758
I'm not much of a cable guy, but the Plussound Verse cable that I got bundled with my AWAS from a classifieds listing is the best cable I've ever used. It is soft, flexible, easy to handle, and minimally microphonic. The total opposite of the AWAS stock cables and I wouldn't enjoy the AWAS as much if I had to use those. There is practically no noise from below the Y-splitter, and there's only a bit of noise from the plastic-sheathed part above it. I wonder if the full-cloth Poetic cable would have more or less microphonics.

The Right indicator ring has detached from the connector and usually falls down the cable to rest on the Y-splitter. I presume I can just hot-glue it back in place if I want? It doesn't seem to screw into place or anything.

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #1,750 of 1,758
tour.jpeg

Last call for EU audio enthusiasts to participate in the upcoming Cables & Accessories tour. Get the chance to check out some of our latest cable releases, including the newly announced Copper XL cable and one special surprise. Click
HERE to learn more and sign up.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,751 of 1,758
Thanks for @PLUSSOUND and @Sebastien Chiu, I can demo the two new releases from Plussound, which is a local company to me but for whatever reason I have never tried their products until this time.

The package that I have received is a very nice leather modular case that includes the following items:

1x Quad-Copper 2-pin/4.4mm

1x SPC XL 2-pin/4.4mm

2x Earphone Stands

5x Silicone Eartips Set

PXL_20240115_220747718.NIGHT.jpg

The two cables are part of the Plussound limited edition cables, and the only cable missing from the tour kit is the silver-plated copper XL 4-wire, which is only for headphones.

First, let’s look at the quad-copper cable, which is very interestingly consisted of pure copper, silver-plated copper, gold-plated copper, and palladium-plated copper. Even though there are so many different types of wires included, the overall size of the cable is surprisingly thin and nimble (I believe what I got is Exo 4-wire version). You also have the choice of choosing Exo (4-wire), X6 (6-wire), or X8 (8-wire), plus numerous other options when you order your cables. I will talk about the customization alternatives you will enjoy at the end of this review, which IMO is one of the biggest strengths of Plussound cables.

PXL_20240115_220058895.jpg

As I mentioned before, quad-copper cable is very nimble and flexible. Ergonomics is another big strength of Plussound cable. There are many other premium cables, but few can compete with Plussound in terms of ergonomics and flexibility. When premium cable companies design their products, it is always a challenge to use thicker and premium materials to maximize the sound quality while also maintaining a level of flexibility. Plussound has some technological know-how to make the best tradeoffs in this regard.

Now let’s talk about the sound of the quad-copper cable. The first thing I noticed was the bass performance, which IMO is the star of the show. It is closer to pure copper than to silver-plated copper. Mixing 4 different coppers in one cable brings some uniqueness to the sound signature, but to my ears, they are improved copper sound but still very close to pure copper. The bass is tighter, more in-control, while still having the impact and rumble of the sub-bass. In the meantime, I did not find any significant change in the treble area, unlike silver-plated copper.

Next, the silver-plated copper XL cable. Even though both cables are 4-wire Exo, the XL is visually much thicker. From my demo, XL is my favorite cable. Just like quad-copper, XL is still very flexible and very easy to handle, typical Plussound cable in terms of ergonomics.

PXL_20240115_220008644.jpg

Compared to quad-copper, XL has the same satisfying bass performance, but you can clearly hear the impact from silver-plate, which brings more mid-range and clarity from the treble. Because of this, I also felt a perceived larger soundstage in XL.

Now I must talk about the commonality shared by both cables. Even though I was talking about the difference between these two cables above, readers must understand that they share way more traits than their differences. Both cables bring strong bass performance, and significantly improve the resolution compared to the cheap stock cables from most of the IEMs.

PXL_20240115_220107200.jpg

For example, the recent hyped Penno Quattro, which is an unbelievable priced ($399) IEM with 4 dynamic drivers implemented on each side. The stock cable in blue looks and feels like a decent one. However, Archille’s heel of Quattro is its bass, especially the mid bass. If you play Gig Boi’s Kill Jill, which is one of the classic tracks to test bass performance, you won’t hear any bass impact at all with Quattro on stock cable. Switching to either quad-copper or XL, you will immediately notice the change in the bass. Similarly, you will start to hear more details much more easily than the stock cable.

Big Boi – Kill Jill ft. Killer Mike, Jeezy

If you must choose between quad-copper and XL, it will depend on your personal preferences and your arsenal of IEMs. For me, I do have a clear preference that I like XL more than quad-copper. If you are looking at the spectrum of pure copper to pure silver, I would say that quad-copper is between pure copper and silver-plated copper, which is quite surprising to me since I originally thought quad-copper sits in another side of the SPC in the spectrum given the mixing of 4 coppers (3 of them are plated).

Finally, let’s talk about the customization of your order from Plussound, which IMO is one of the most customizable among all the premium cable manufacturers. You have tons of choices in almost every aspect of the cable. One of them really attracts me is the choice of termination by IEM companies. For example, Sony IER series have a recess MMCX port, which creates trouble for the cable upgrade. If you ordered from Plussound, you would have a customized MMCX termination for Sony IER-Z1R or M9.

However, the only thing that I wish Plussound has is the MMCX/2pin combo termination. I know this is contrary to my previously mentioned Cons, universal vs precisely customized. But some competitors, such as Effect Audio got ConX, and Eletch Cable is in the process of doing something similar, it is sooner than later for Plussound to catch up and provide another choice of termination, which can universally adapt for either MMCX or 2pin.

The premium modular case is actually quite nice, with two earphone stands. However, you will notice that the case is very large to carry two IEMs.

PXL_20240115_220708234.NIGHT.jpg

Plussound also has quite extensive selection of accessories, such as their IEM tips, which unfortunately haven't have the chance to try them yet, but you can see the picture below:
PXL_20240115_220451156.jpg

Thanks @wolfstar76! Appreciate this thorough look at the tour kit!

I know very well this GPS x8 :

Very good : "analogue" sounding cable, smooth, classy, with a very good natural resolution power.
Recommended :beerchug:

Thanks @DaveStarWalker!

I'd say cables are more about synergy, but verse copper + is really terrific - defintely an underrated cable - kudos to @PLUSSOUND
Can't wait to demo Copper XL :)

We will have the CXL on tour again soon!

You should try their Silver+ and Hybrid+ if you haven’t already! Very impressive sonically.

Thanks @Tristy! These will be available to demo with FatFreq at CanJam NYC.

Loved the quad-copper tour cable. :heart_eyes:

Thanks @Stu Paddasso

I'm not much of a cable guy, but the Plussound Verse cable that I got bundled with my AWAS from a classifieds listing is the best cable I've ever used. It is soft, flexible, easy to handle, and minimally microphonic. The total opposite of the AWAS stock cables and I wouldn't enjoy the AWAS as much if I had to use those. There is practically no noise from below the Y-splitter, and there's only a bit of noise from the plastic-sheathed part above it. I wonder if the full-cloth Poetic cable would have more or less microphonics.

The Right indicator ring has detached from the connector and usually falls down the cable to rest on the Y-splitter. I presume I can just hot-glue it back in place if I want? It doesn't seem to screw into place or anything.

Hi @SolarCetacean,

Yes, just add a dab a hot glue if you don't want to send it back to us for repairs.

RE: Poetic series - the cloth should not affect the microphonics as far as my experience with that line of ours goes.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #1,752 of 1,758
Information on our CanJam presence updated here.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,753 of 1,758
I had a chance to spend some time with the latest PlusSound Copper XL cable and just shared my thoughts with sound impressions and comparisons here. Enjoy the read! Also, it looks like CanJam NYC show visitors will get a chance to hear it in a few days :)

ps-copper-xl-02.jpg ps-copper-xl-03.jpg
ps-copper-xl-07.jpg ps-copper-xl-08.jpg

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #1,754 of 1,758
I had a chance to spend some time with the latest PlusSound Copper XL cable and just shared my thoughts with sound impressions and comparisons here. Enjoy the read! Also, it looks like CanJam NYC show visitors will get a chance to hear it in a few days :)

ps-copper-xl-02.jpg ps-copper-xl-03.jpg
ps-copper-xl-07.jpg ps-copper-xl-08.jpg

Thanks, Alex! Great to see you and catch up at the show. Appreciate you taking your time and doing this!

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #1,755 of 1,758
experience.jpg

12 year anniversary is just around the corner. Find out the brand new offerings that will enhance your cable experience this Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back