pls help - headphone recommendation/setup for watching Blu Rays
Nov 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joeychizzel

New Head-Fier
hi everybody.  here is my set up.  i have all my players and servers connected through HDMI into my onkyo ht9100 thx system.  the receiver then hdmis out to my tv.  so everything goes through there, my playstion, my media players, etc.  What i'm looking for is a headphone $600 or under that will best be used to listen to blu rays.  and also, once i get the headphones, do i just plug it into the jack in the front?  will that produce the best sound?  i'm a bit newbie to the whole audio game, i just want a headphone that will give me the best sound possible for watching movies and how i should connect to my receiver.  any info or tips are greatly appreciated.  thanks again for reading.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 10
You're definitely going to want open headphones for movies.  It'll help the loss of sound stage from speakers - headphones.

Also, I'd bet that $1000 receiver has a pretty good amp in it, so you probably don't need a headphone amp - just plug the headphones into the receiver.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Man, that's quite an overkill budget.  I don't agree that you need open cans, as closed will work for you very well.  My Ultrasone Pro 650 are great for movies, and they're closed.  The Denon listed above are great.  The Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990 are supercomfortable and will be just as good, but make sure that you get the 32 Ohm version, not the 250 or 600 Ohm.  AKG K242HD, K272HD are pretty solid. Ultrasone HFI-780 work well too.  All of these can be had for about 1/3 your budget and will serve you great.  My $60 AKG DJ headphones work great for movies.  There's nothing I miss out on, from faint footsteps to rustling papers.

Don't get so caught up in the spending, any of these headphones could very well work as the last pair you ever buy.  Do a brief review and jump in, and I bet you won't be disappointed.  A lot of the trouble comes when you start thinking to yourself, "What if I would have gotten those other ones?"

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Using Blu Ray with a THX surround amp, the best would be a 5.1 or 7.1 surround speakers system, if not, at least go for a pair of surround headphones. Even the best stereo headphones just cannot produce a true surround sound even close to a cheap surround hi fi system. For surround headphones, they usually come with a decoder that connect to the digital output of your AV amp.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 10
thank you so much for all your replies.  definitely agree nothing beats the sound of an actual 7.1 surround speakers system which is what i have right now.  but the wife is pregnant and the last thing she wants to hear is optimus prime wrecking some decepticons or some death screams from freddy krueger slicking up some chick.  so i would like some cans that will as close as possible give me that good sound that i get from the regular 7.1 speaker system.  i will definitely looking at some open headphones since they do seem to be best for movies.  thanks again for all the help.  i will also listen to any additional tips anybody would have.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Right open headphone got better soundstage but at the expense of bass energy which is very important for movies, semi-open combine both usually like DT990 or K240.

Quote:
You're definitely going to want open headphones for movies.  It'll help the loss of sound stage from speakers - headphones.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 10
thanks again for your replies.  in the end i've decided on getting the seinheiser HD 650s.  i was able to pick them up for $346 brand new which seemed like a pretty good price for these quality headphones.  i hope i've made the right choice.  thanks again for tips and help!

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Good luck and enjoy, but with the high impedance design, now you have to worry about them being driven properly, so it's going to be a whole new can of worms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back