Pleathered Senn HD650
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
I had a chance to do an interesting mod on my HD650. I got these cheap 50 cent pleathers from CD-R King and surprisingly they fit the HD650 like a glove. I took out the Velours and proceeded to install the pleather pads.

I also took out the foam and ended up with a Senn as shown in the pics above.

It's a very interesting change in sound sig. Unlike most velour to pleather pad rolls I didn't get an explosion of midbass on this one, probably because it's an open back can. 

Instead the changes I heard on my initial impressions are:
* punchier bass, and a bit more impact --> not a midbass boom but more weight
* less air -> I think the soundstage suffered a bit
* more detailed mids
* slightly more forward presentation
* slightly easier to drive 
* comfort is a wash

The highs still remain smooth and are relatively the same.

The mids seem to have added some detail due to the proximity of the driver and foam being removed. The pleathers are thinner than the velours, placing the driver closer to the ear. I think this makes the cans easier to drive to the same volume levels on less power, and in addition give less air.

I think the thicker pleather material also doesn't let the sound "breath" between my ears and the drivers as much as the velours did, which also results in less air and a more cramped sound.

As a result the sound is also a bit more upfront than the usual laid-back and relaxed sound of the HD650.

anyway not sure if I want to keep this configuration as I tend to prefer a more laidback sound, but ti's an enjoyable change of pace at least and does not sound bad at all. The extra bass power is also quite welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back