Pleather and Velour...
Apr 3, 2008 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

adkimemory

Head-Fier
Since I bought my HD25-1s, I've replaced the muffs with Velour and loved them. But recently I decided to try the Pleather for a week... and I must say that they actually feel better.

I don't know why, but pleather just feels better to me on my head. especially when they soften after a week. If it wasn't for the sweat inducing factor, I'd leave them on.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkimemory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I bought my HD25-1s, I've replaced the muffs with Velour and loved them. But recently I decided to try the Pleather for a week... and I must say that they actually feel better.

I don't know why, but pleather just feels better to me on my head. especially when they soften after a week. If it wasn't for the sweat inducing factor, I'd leave them on.

Yeah, but there is that sweat-inducing factor. Down here in North Carolina where, even with the AC running hard, the dog days of summer permeate the house and make it pretty difficult to keep humidity levels down, I can't even imagine wearing full-sized cans with pleater ear pads.

Tim

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 17
I must be porcine. I just don't sweat with any headphones. While I find velour pads really cozy, the vinyl ones on, for example, the K271S never bothered me.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be porcine. I just don't sweat with any headphones. While I find velour pads really cozy, the vinyl ones on, for example, the K271S never bothered me.

Actually, Jaska, I suspect that the opposite is the case. If you were porcine, you would sweat like the proverbial stuck hog. Or is that just a Southern American expression, "sweat like a stuck hog?" We have so many that are specific to the region, I sometimes lose track. Colorful, we are.

Tim

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were porcine, you would sweat like the proverbial stuck hog.

I suppose if they had sweat glands, they could sweat. But they don't. Which makes them one step further away from kosher
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I suppose if they had sweat glands, they could sweat. But they don't. Which makes them one step further away from kosher
eek.gif

Hey, not to veer off of this scintillating topic, but when you get that Gilmore Lite, I'll be really interested to hear what it adds to the Duet. Do you still have any challenging cans? All I see are Grados and Etys, which makes me wonder why you need anything beyond the headphone amp in your Duet, but I digress. Back to pigs and sweat...

Tim

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still have any challenging cans? All I see are Grados and Etys, which makes me wonder why you need anything beyond the headphone amp in your Duet

At the moment, I have nothing but pushovers. I am in the process of acquiring some vintage AKGs (with vinyl pads!), though, and looking forward to some good times. I do hope and expect that the Gilmore Lite will bring out the best in my Grados, too.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

At the moment, I have nothing but pushovers. I am in the process of acquiring some vintage AKGs (with vinyl pads!), though, and looking forward to some good times. I do hope and expect that the Gilmore Lite will bring out the best in my Grados, too.

Well, you'll be of no real use to me until you get those sweaty AKGs, I'm interested in the difference, if any, from the additional drive. I'm not sure how an amp known for transparency is going to add much to the Duet on phones that could be driven well by the headphone jack of an iPod, but let me know about that too.

Tim

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Pleather isn't great, but at least some of it isn't rock bottom crap. Even being in down in Texas, I can still use my ATs for quite a while. Leather is still nicer. Velour isn't bad, but it can get a bit hot from time to time, although not nearly as sweaty.

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to velour but soon returned to the original pleather pads due to much better isolation and more bass impact. Great phones for commuting!

Same here. Went back to the pleather as the phones lost one of the biggest strongpoints with the velour pads; isolation, both ways. I spend a lot of time listening to music in bed while reading books and the velour just don't cut it, with regards to how much sound leaks to my sleeping wife next to me (she's a bit sensitive about that....). Most of the time I use ER4Ps though.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 17
A nasty thought: if vinyl pads make some people sweat a lot, then surely the same people sweat quite a bit when using velour pads. In the case of velours, though, people probably don't notice all the sweating since the porous pads would soak it right up like big sponges. Use such headphones somewhere on the bayou, and I'll bet they'd smell like canvas hi-tops after a championship basketball game.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 17
lol NC? lol try florida :) lol NC is a dream xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back