Please, tell me the best headphones I can buy for $200
Jul 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sadaiyappan

New Head-Fier
^^  I most listen to dance / electronica and watch movies and play ps3 games with the headphones.   So tell me headphones that have the best overall sound quality, and just for my own info I want to know which will have the best bass for $200 as well.

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 11
Are you looking for open or closed phones? Do they need to be eas to drive?  Assuming your looking for open, easy to drive phones the DT440 is probably the best overall as an all rounder for music, games and movies.  The DT250 (80 ohm) if you want closed.  As for the best bass (im guessing you mean most bass volume and not quality)) the M50 seem to be a popular choice but the DT250 is more balanced and has a better midrange.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 11
Hmm…I haven’t looked at the DT440 before, but on Amazon, it’s only $105 which puts it squarely in my budget for open headphones.  Alongside the MS-1 and AD700, two of which you have, how does the DT440 compare? 

And since the OP is asking for good headphones in the range of $200, would you say the DT440 competes well against cans in that range?

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't care if they are open or closed.  I would prefer easy to drive headphones but I do have a fiio e5 amp.  Those DT440 look cool but they are much cheaper then $200, they are only about $100 on amazon.  Are there any better headphones than the DT440 for $200?

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 11
I've been looking for headphones for a little while now, and one that has been recommended several times to me is the Denon AH-D2000.

It's a closed headphone and is very efficient/easy to drive.  Everyone says it has ample bass, although many say it is somewhat flabby/uncontrolled compared to better phones (the degree of flabbiness is disputed AFAICT).  Mids are said to be recessed a little, but highs are supposedly excellent.  My impression is that they are a very dynamic pair of phones that performs well above their price.  There's even a mod that helps tighten up the bass.

But I've never used them or any other mid-high end phone for that matter, so look for first-hand reviews yourself.  I'm a speaker guy TBH, so I just need phones for studying abroad.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 11
Okay I changed my mind.  I want easy to drive headphones.  I don't care if they are open or closed.  And I don't want in-ear or earbuds, I want full size headphones that are big and flashy (but tasteful) and that I can show off.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 11
grado SR-225 if you want to be right at the $200 MRSP dot. Though, they are open headphones, so they should really be used at home.
You can also look into the Phiaton MS 300/MS 400, those look nice.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
You can also look into the Phiaton MS 300/MS 400, those look nice.

Cnet.com says in their review:

The good:​
 The Phiaton MS 400 Moderna Series headphones feature solid sound quality and an eye-catching design that's also comfortable.​

The bad:​
 The Phiaton MS 400 headphones' Y-cable is not conducive to at-home listening, and the earcups tend to overheat the ears.​

The bottom line:​
 The Phiaton MS 400 Moderna Series headphones are cool to look at and comfy to wear; the balanced audio quality make them a good choice for listeners with a diverse taste in music.​

I don't really know how important the Y-cable is but I would recommend finding out before purchasing. Seeing it seems you will be using it at home quite often (movies, PS3). It is rated 3.5/5 Stars. 

Too bad Cnet didn't rate the Grado SR225 to compare. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Cnet isn't a reliable source anymore. They tend to spread misinformation everywhere. An example was that there was one incident where the stupid reviewers disregarded the Cowon D2 for not having a flat frequency response, but they didn't turn off the jeteffects/equalizer before testing.

Here is a more trusted and experienced source:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-44-portable-headphones-compared-sony-mdr-xb500-alessandro-ms1-added-07-08

The Phiaton MS 400 review is located there, among other headphone reviews.

Also here is another good source:

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/phiaton-ms-400.php

Good Day.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
You can wear Grados practically everywhere except a club or a construction site.

U also can't wear them in a classroom, a library, a train, an airplane, etc etc

In fact, the thick cables probably prevent you from walking around too. The jack is probably half the size of your mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back