Jul 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #16 of 55
Check out the 'The Complete Live At The Village Vanguard 1961' by Bill Evans

(Everybody diggs Bill Evans
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 55
Beyond The Soundbarrier by the Wayne Shorter Quartet

When your brain is compatible to this music, your in for a huge trip`

This is superb modern jazz, it´s live and has loads of soul!!

albumcoverWayneShorterBeyond.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 55
Check out Art Pepper; Steve Hoffman did a remastering of Art Pepper Plus 11 that you can buy at Acoustic Sounds ... also, if you like California cool jazz, it's Wes Montgomery ... Myles Davis is OK, but check out Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane and Ray Charles.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #21 of 55
There are so many nice jazz records mentioned above. I love Bitches Brew, but would be carefull about recommending this for a person new to jazz. Try In A Silent Way instead.

I totally agree with the Kind Of Blue recommendation, a perfect record to start with. Waltz For Debby too.

I would like to add John Coltrane - My favorite Things. Actually one of my all time favorite jazz records. It seems all people love that record, also none jazz lovers.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #22 of 55
I agree with all of the Miles Davis suggestions, but I strongly urge you to start with Kind of Blue. This peerless masterpiece will also introduce you to John Coltrane, Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Cobb and, on one track, Wynton Kelly. It's almost surreal that all of those gods of jazz were in the studio at the same time, but it actually happened.

For a great introduction to Louis Armstrong, try The Hot Fives and Hot Sevens.

Another great choice is Louis Armstrong Plays W. C. Handy. This was recorded in the 1950s, long after what some jazz snobs consider his greatest period. That's complete nonsense. His trumpet and voice are in peak form throughout, and the material is outstanding. Unlike some of his early recordings, the sound here is excellent, which is a nice plus.

For a good introduction to big band swing, and to Bennie Goodman, try Bennie Goodman Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert. "Sing,Sing,Sing," which features Gene Krupa drumming his face off, is worth the price of the entire album.

John Coltrane's My Favorite Things presents a more accessible side of his genius than he displayed later in his career. He pulls the stuffing out of the title tune, and rebuilds it in his own image. "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" is one of the great jazz instrumental ballads. Coltrane (on soprano sax, here) and piano legend McCoy Tyner manage to stay pretty close to the melody, while extending it to almost painfully beautiful effect.

Edit:

Blue Trane (featuring the great Lee Morgan on trumpet) and Giant Steps are also good places to start with Coltrane.

My knowlege of piano players is a bit spotty, but you can't miss with Thelonius Monk's Brilliant Corner. Monk was like a genre unto himsef.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 55
I will reiterate what was asked before. "Jazz" is a very broad category. What kind of music do you like and what do you listen to now. Then perhaps we can gear our answers more toward what you are looking for rather than our own preferences. Too many "jazz" categories to contend with without more info:

blues-jazz
be-bop
ballad jazz
big band jazz
prog-jazz
jazz fusion
male/female vocalists
world jazz
cuban jazz
traditional jazz
modern (smooth) jazz
avant gard
free jazz
jazz-rock
etc.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. "Kind of Blues" is at the pinnacle. It would be a place to start.

"Kind of Blues" is to Jazz what Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" is to rock.

That being said, you may listen to it and wonder what's so great about it if you aren't used to jazz. Over time, though, you'll get why it's so amazing.

Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" was the one that got me introduced and hooked to Jazz.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #26 of 55
Diana Krall - Live in Paris
I particular like track 7 Devil May Care. Its toe tapping fun.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 55
Coltrane Plays The Blues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back