Please recommend jazz album
Aug 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #33 of 55
how about Sonny Rollins?
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I felt that Coltrane's Love Supreme is abit hard for somebody new to get it.. I find it quite harsh when i was just starting listening to jazz... Coltrane's Blue Train is easier for me then..

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrycan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's Chet Baker?
Chet is so great, sings like he blows, sweet and soulfull, I always believe him.

Great suggestion. Chet Baker Sings, from 1956, shows off both his trumpet and his voice. An absolutely essential album.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #35 of 55
Any L.A. 4 with Ray Brown
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Chic Corea & Return To Forever - Light As A Feather

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #36 of 55
A very rhythmic record I've been listening to a lot lately is Weather Report's "Tale Spinnin'". I have to say I enjoy it even more than the "pop ones" starring Pastorius and all. This really blew my mind and that happens rarely. (Todd Rundgren's Utopia the last time, Zappa's Inca Roads, Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo before that which are also great orchestral "Jazz"-pieces as well)

It falls under the fusion category somewhat though. I'm almost fanatic about Alphonso Johnson and Leon "Ndugu" Chancler. The 3rd song on the album is just rhythmic bliss with great musical brass sections and of course, ever-stylish playing from Zawinul.

Also, big ups for Getz/Gilberto, Chet Baker and Kind of blue (Obviously
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I got rather curious of that live recording from Wayne Shorter Quartet you proposed, Quinto. Have to check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 55
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the albums listed, they are all great in their own way. However, IMHO, Kind of Blue is the quintessential jazz album.

Another obscure goodie I love is Grant Green's Idle Moments. It sounds awesome through headphones. Joe Henderson literally whispers his solo into your ear on the title track.

I would also echo other comments about defining what genre of jazz or even instrumentation you are interested in.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #38 of 55
Contemporary Noise Quintet - Pig Inside The Gentleman
Mouse On The Keys - Sezession
Mouse On The Keys - An Anxious Object
Toe - Songs, Ideas We Forgot
Toe - New Sentimentality
Toe - The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bill Evans- Waltz for Debby
Lee Morgan - the Sidewinder
Keith Jarrett - the Koln Concert

just whats currently in heavy rotation.

The Sidewinder is a great trumpet album, and a great jazz album. But it also represents a time when jazz was still popular music -- it was popular and people occasionally bought it in quantity. It's not quite straight-up dance music, but it grooves deeply throughout and you can easily imagine it on a party tape at a boisterous after-hours gathering. If I am not mistaken, the title track actually crossed-over to the pop charts as a single.

Not very likely these days, given the extreme artistic poverty of today's pop charts.

May 3, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #43 of 55
Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #44 of 55
Fly or Die "Live" by the unforgettable late Jamie Branch

everything by Antonio Lizana

here with the incredible Flamenco singer Maria La Monica in background

Domi & JD Beck "Not tight" (Blue Note)
in fact, everything by those two is top, also the live material

AFRIKAN SCIENCES, electronic jazz crossover

all albums by ACCU QUINTET

Frank Woeste "Pocket Rhapsody II"

Last edited: