Please help with speaker based system
Jan 24, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #31 of 53
Actually auditioning speakers in a showroom may also be misleading because of different system components as well as the acoustical character of the room. It is imperative that you get an audition period for all components, especially speakers, in your own home and system. There is no substitute.

Jan 24, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #32 of 53
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually auditioning speakers in a showroom may also be misleading because of different system components as well as the acoustical character of the room. It is imperative that you get an audition period for all components, especially speakers, in your own home and system. There is no substitute.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
And, that's no joke folks!

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 53
Thank you all so much for your input. You guys have some really great suggestions. I have had the good fortune to hear the following speakers here locally.

1. nOrh marble 9.0s
2. Triangle Titus
3. AV-Reality 1.3
4. PSB Stratus Goldi

If I had to choose today which speakers to get from the list above I would go for the AV-Reality 1.3s or the nOrhs. I know system synergy has a lot to do with things, but I must say that I was REALLY impressed with the AV-Reality 1.3s. Not only do they use quality parts, but they are also cheaper then the nOrhs by a good bit. BUT!!!! I am going to hear a cheaper pair of nOrhs (SM 6.9s) in the near future that supposedly sound very similar to the 9.0s. I am going to take some more time auditioning speakers before I decide … I have also arranged to hear a pair of Magnepan speakers =) As far as amps go … I am probably going to go with the Odyssey Stratos amp (I really like this amp). As far as pre-amps go … I have no clue yet.

Thanks again for all the input!
biggrin.gif

Bob

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 53
How were the Triangles compared to those, Bob?

And, you know you want a Melos SHA-1 for a preamp
smily_headphones1.gif
Just for those headphone moments...

Jan 25, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #35 of 53
Man, I wish I could hear those 9.0s and 1.3s. Also, I believe Norh is working on a SM 9.0, but I'm not sure when they'll be available. I think I know what my next main speakers are going to be. Unless, of course, I get to hear the high-end VMPS ribbon speakers, that should be interesting.
biggrin.gif

I'm also curious as to how the Tituses fared, though I would expect the 9.0s and 1.3s to be significantly better, given the price differential. BTW, Bob, do you frequent Harmonic Discord?

Jan 25, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
How were the Triangles compared to those, Bob?

And, you know you want a Melos SHA-1 for a preamp
smily_headphones1.gif
Just for those headphone moments...

Well ... I really felt that the Triangles were good speakers but not in the same class as the other ones that I listened to. But, keep in mind that the other speakers cost a good deal more than the Triangles (and they are considered great bargains at their price). I will say this ... I am also going to hear the nOrh 4.0s and if they sound anything like the 9.0s ... I would pick the nOrhs over the Triangles. But, I think that this would be due to personal preference, not because one was "better" than the other. Also, I am seriously looking into the possibilty of a Melos. I really respect Markl's opinions and if he says that it is good ... it must be =D

Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Man, I wish I could hear those 9.0s and 1.3s. Also, I believe Norh is working on a SM 9.0, but I'm not sure when they'll be available. I think I know what my next main speakers are going to be. Unless, of course, I get to hear the high-end VMPS ribbon speakers, that should be interesting.
biggrin.gif

I'm also curious as to how the Tituses fared, though I would expect the 9.0s and 1.3s to be significantly better, given the price differential. BTW, Bob, do you frequent Harmonic Discord?

I must give a very special thanks to dhwilkin
biggrin.gif
I have pestered him a lot about his nOrhs and he was kind enough to give me great responses. I too am very curious about the SM 9.0s … we shall see =) I have started to lurk around Harmonic Discord a lot lately … that is where I met most of the people that had the speakers that I wanted to listen to in my area. I still have a lot of work to do but it will be nice to have a speaker setup to compliment my headphone gear. I will comment on my headphone setup later … I think I have finally found a good setup that I really can enjoy.

Thanks again for all the input and please keep it coming!

Jan 26, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #37 of 53
My new system is pretty close to the mark.

Quicksilver Mini Mite tube monoblocs (25w)-- $1037.
Hales Revelation 1, -- $500. or
Stirling LS 3/5A -- $1000. shipped
Rava subwoofer -- $399.

Still haven't chosen a preamp but the monoblocs come in next week. I'm waiting for a possible SE option on the Rava with a higher quality amp/crossover. And you thought choosing a HP amp is hard? It was a monumental task just getting this far, and it's not even over yet. The LS 3/5A speakers are what I really want, but I may just go with the Hales because they are available locally. They sound very nice, plus I'm getting them for half price.

Speaker stands: DIY built out of 3/4" MDF.

Base: 1-1/2" thick mounted on 4 vibrapods
Column: 6" square section filled with 4 lb of lead shot and topped off with sand.

Jan 26, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #38 of 53
pigmode, I don't know anything about your power amps, but you have definitely done your homework on the speakers. It is a crying shame that they are out of business. Their speakers destroy others 2 times the price. Very nice choice in my opinion. I'm jealous!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #39 of 53
Thanks a bunch for the confirmation CRESCENDOPOWER!! They are indeed, very sweet. They handle rock well, but the way they handle classical music and the human voice is exceptional. One thing that sold me was the fact that they got a bunch of bad reviews at AudioReview.
wink.gif
(j/k)

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 53
I ran into a Hales Revelation Three one time. They sounded astonishing! It was that feeling of :: open your eyes and take a step back, whoa ::
eek.gif
Very natural sound indeed. Then I looked at the price tag, and ran away...

I assume that the Revelation One sounds similar just with less authority? $500 in rosewood finish? Nice, would be good for computer speakers. =)

Jan 27, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #41 of 53
I thought my speakers was good before...today I spent an hour putting the spikes on them (I didnt when I got them coz I thought it was a waste of time and a gimmic to "improve sound"). After I did this the bass tightened up heaps !!. So without a doubt, make sure you short list these speakers (Kama2/Kantu2).

My jaws just hit the floor when I turned them on after I stuck the spikes in.

confused.gif
redface.gif
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #43 of 53
Oh hell yeah :> Im gonna further move them around to get a nice "spot" for them.

Right now Im really really impressed.

Before the continuous bass sounds were good like the low notes on a bass guitar, now they are just sureal
smily_headphones1.gif
I get this tingly feeling ... ahhh

Jan 27, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Very natural sound indeed.

That's a good description, and I think it has to do with the way the speaker is not weighted towards the top or bottom as well as its sense of tone and timbre.

On another note, I can't find a preamp. Any suggestions out there? I'll spend $800. give or take $200. for a second hand unit.

Here are my amps:

http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/mini_old.html

Jan 27, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Very natural sound indeed.

That's a good description, and I think it has to do with the way the speaker is not weighted towards the top or bottom as well as its sense of tone and timbre.

On another note, I can't find a preamp. I stalled too long and lost out on two Conrad Johnson PV10s from reliable sellers at Audiogon. Any suggestions out there? I've researched myself into a state of confusion and indecision. I'll spend $800. give or take $200. for a second hand unit. Help.

Here are my amps:

http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/mini_old.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back