Please help - Need new DAC and Amp for Ultrasone PRO900
Apr 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Krackatus

Head-Fier
Hi, i would appreciate if any of you guys could help me out on this. I've done a lot of reading, but am now just looking for some direct answers.

I'm looking for a good DAC and headamp to use with some PRO900s. I'm currently using computer soundcard as source.
The 900s have about 100 hours burn-in on them, so i'm still expecting the sound to change slightly, but i have a pretty good idea of what sort of sound i'm looking to get from a DAC and amp.
My budget is $700 for both. Can't really spend much more than that unless its only slightly more and much better value. To be honest i would really rather not spend even $700, $300-500 would suit me much better, but i'm willing to go the distance if its worth it!

I'm pretty happy with the sound of these out of my PC, but they are a little to smooth sounding for my taste, so i'm looking to get a slightly more forward, aggressive, Grado esq sound to them. Only slightly though, i personally find Grado's too forward for my liking. (SR225 and 325i)

I'll quickly highlight one thing i hate though, and that is when the music sounds congested and compressed. I need good instrument seperation. I like having a bit of space and prefer the sound of my HD650s to SR225s and 325is when i heard them (they were all properly amped). I much prefered the sound of the cymbals and guitars on the grados, but they were way to forward and in my face and the music just seemed very congested like all the instruments were merged together and shoved down my ears. However the PRO900s (and the HD650s especially) sound a little too smooth and laid back to me and i would like to give just a BIT of this grado sound to them if that is possible with an appropriate DAC/headamp.

Also would quite like them to sound a little brighter as they are a bit on the dark side, although i don't know how this will change with burn in (possibly even darker).

I really enjoy the bass on these cans and thats the main thing that attracted me to them in the first place, and with burn in the bass has cleared up a bit, but i feel it has lost a little of the quantity it once had. So any DAC/Amp with plenty of bass would be ideal as i'm a bit of a basshead. It HAS to be very defined, fast, tight bass though, definatley not bloated.

I'm very happy with the detail on these things, and i'm sure any amp would improve the detail on them, but detail and accuracy is very important to me. I also listen to a lot of very fast music so the source/amp has to handle fast music well, so ideally looking at something with a fast, analytical sound, rather than warm and laid back. (definatley SS amp not tube i'm thinking)

So to sum up...

- Looking for both a DAC and headphone amp to use with Ultrasone PRO 900
- Using computer as source
- Budget is $700 (willing to go over slightly if need be)
- Music taste is mainly metal (meshuggah, tool, dream theater) and electronic - trance/dance/breakbeat (prodigy, crystal method, tiesto)
- DAC & Amp combo needs to have strong, defined, tight bass.
- DAC & Amp combo needs to be fairly bright and forward, not laid back.
- DAC & Amp needs to handle metal well, so good with distortion guitars and drums, etc.
- DAC & Amp combo needs to be detailed, accurate and fast with decent instrument seperation and soundstage.

The main contender i've been looking at is the Compass as this seems like a good starter package, but at the moment i'm looking for other alternatives.

Again, i would very much appreciate any recommendations or help on this. I know Head-Fi isn't a question and answer service, but if anyone could help out a fellow music lover, i would be truley grateful!
beerchug.gif

Thanks for your time.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my suggestions :

AMP : RSA Mustang P51 ($375)
DAC : HeadAmp PICO DAC ($350)

The Mustang is really good with the Ultrasone headphones. It's exactly what you are looking for. (Fast, slightly bright, forward and the mids too die for.)

Patrick

Wow really? Hadn't really considered portable amps. Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 10
I have been looking for an amp for the Pro 900 too.

I've heard great reviews about the iBasso D10, and since it is portable + DAC it only makes it more interesting. The question I am trying to figure out is how good of a match it is for the Pro 900?

By the way, the D10 seems to be very popular. It is currently out of stock until mid May
iBasso

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Krackatus there is a 10$ solution to make them more forward...Try the KeeS mod. cover the middle hole with felt. As for bass if you want it brighter use cotton wool. The more cotton wool you use the less bass volume and thus an overall brighter headphone. I do agree quite neutral but if anything on the dark side
smily_headphones1.gif
. As for amp I love my Keces 131 mk 2 DAC but well it´s also on the dark side... I confess may very much be why I think the PRO 900 is slightly on the dark side.

But it´s clear with a lot of space in between notes which makes for great soundstaging compared to my other DACS, Valab NOS DAC, some burr brown on my receiver and some cirrus logic on my Elite PRO. I love it on all these though.

As for amp Canamp gives me great soundstaging and give the music lot of body without being bloatey. That´s only if it´s in the recordings. Not the most punchy amp though.

Slee Solo is also a warm sounding amp but with more space between notes and less full overall. If you are really worried about bloat may be a safer choice. Haven´t had it long enough but I really like what I hear so far.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 10
oqvist - I havn't tried the kees mod. To be honest i don't like the idea of losing any bass quanity. More controlled bass would be nice (but i'm sure that will come with more burn-in and an amp) but i don't want to lose any impact. I might try it at some point though, just to hear exactly what it does for them.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Hmm i have the ultrasone 900 pro and currently using them with the nuforece amp/dac a friend gave me. I was looking into doing a Udac2/Starving student and also my budget is half of yours lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back