Please help me identify the model of these vintage chrome 70s headphones I lost in a divorce
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

innerspaceboy

New Head-Fier
I received these funky vintage chrome/silver/aluminum/metal cone-shaped on-ear headphones as a Christmas gift from an old friend in 2015. They were stolen by my ex-wife when she moved out, and I've been unable to track down a replacement pair ever since.

90% sure they were made in Japan and they appear to be a 70s vintage. (Or 80s perhaps?)

If anyone could help me track down the model so I can have them back in my life again, I'd be grateful.

UPDATE: A few Redditors suggested that they appear VERY similar to the Pionner SE-L40. That model looks incredible close but I don't believe they're an exact match. I'm searching the web for an archive of Pioneer vintage models now that we've narrowed it down.

If my memory and the photo serve correctly there was no black ring around the exterior of the earcup and no mesh grill pattern on the exterior cone as seen on the L40. Instead they were a smooth, polished chrome (or chrome like) finish. ALSO note that my cans had a coiled cable whereas the SE-L40s I'm seeing for sale have standard straight cables.

Here are current auction pics for the L40 for comparison. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pi...955322?hash=item3d9113223a:g:bB4AAOSwfrhdSLTK

UPDATE: WE HAVE THE ANSWER!
Reviewing my FB post history from the Christmas I received them I actually noted the model - an incredibly obscure series and tragically I see zero Google results and zero eBay listings completed or present for the model. I've put a beacon out on eBay in case any future listings surface. It's a long shot, but I've GOT MY ANSWER!

Thanks everyone!

Thank you!

D4ns6Nc.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back